Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#280616 - 05/05/16 06:20 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I can't find that checklist here or with the internet search engine.

#280617 - 05/05/16 06:32 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: chaosmagnet]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
For a two minute evac by car from my house, I would expect the children to grab go-bags, shoes and outerwear, and nothing else. My wife and I would grab a handgun and spare magazines, load the bug-out/bug-in bins (that supplement the core kit in each car) into one of the cars, grab the gas cans and go.

We don't drill this nearly enough.

If there was ever a reminder to keep the BOB up to date and ready, this is it. Guess what I'm doing tonight?

#280618 - 05/05/16 06:37 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Teslinhiker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Some very compelling videos from a persons vehicle onboard cameras while evacuating Fort Mac.

What isn't being felt in the videos is the tremendous heat that is radiated -- that would definitely add to the stress level of anybody driving past the fire.

#280644 - 05/09/16 11:12 AM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
Teslinhiker Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nothern Ontario
Very good news story on the continuing efforts to help the people of Fort Mac and surrounding area. There is so much help in the way of supplies etc, that it is now overwhelming to the point that no evac center etc needs any more supplies.

Scenes from inside Fort McMurray

John Lubbock

#280645 - 05/09/16 01:45 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Teslinhiker]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is certainly a worthwhile contrast to the cliched "shoot and loot" scenario so often portrayed as the outcome of a disaster.

#280646 - 05/09/16 02:05 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
A photo from the story Teslinhiker posted above gives some sense of what a monster this 600-square-mile wildfire is:

[img]https://nationalpostcom.files.wordpress....w=940&h=705[/img]

Over the last three days, RCMP-led convoys with military helicopters as spotters have been able to move out most of the evacuees who were stranded north of Fort Mac. At least they have access to essential resources.

It's going to be weeks before anybody will be allowed to return, though. Basically, once essential services have been repaired, every building has to be checked for major hazards. Evacuees are already advertising for rental accommodations, knowing that they are going to be away for some time.

EDIT: Can't get the photo to display. Sorry 'bout that. I suspect the system here can't cope with a URL starting with "https:".

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/10/16 02:16 AM)

#280648 - 05/09/16 08:40 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Interesting what people are taking when they have to leave in a hurry. Documents, valuables, and maybe, a couple changes of clothes. It seems that the emphasis is not so much immediate self reliance, but continuity after the smoke clears.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/06/americas/c...il_bottommedium

Compared to what the Syrian refugees carried, it seems that sentimental items were the common thread.

http://www.cbsnews.com/pictures/syrian-refugees-what-they-carried/

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#280650 - 05/10/16 02:14 AM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Mark_R]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_R
It seems that the emphasis is not so much immediate self reliance, but continuity after the smoke clears.

Well said. Excellent observation.

#280654 - 05/10/16 01:27 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Syria and Alberta are very different situations. In Alberta, you can still rely on insurance/outside assistance and an intact, predictably functioning society, so in prioritizing what to save and take with you, it is reasonable to choose unique items of personal value - the rest can be replaced in due course.

Not so much in Syria....

#280657 - 05/10/16 11:12 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Yes, very different situations of course. Without getting into politics, it's clear that Syria is a no-win scenario for civilians caught in the middle, with few good options if they escape. I think Mark_R was only trying to point out some very human commonalities.

To illustrate that point: we have a number of Syrian refugee families in the Edmonton area, and they have been sharing their stories. While the more affluent among them were initially able to take household stuff with them in their initial move out of Syria, by the time they went through the refugee systems of two different countries, they touched down in Canada with nothing more than ... documents and momentoes.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.