Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280596 - 05/05/16 07:30 AM 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/death-by-gps/

Hey all, I thought I'd share an interesting piece that explores the infamous "death by GPS" phenomenon we've discussed a number of times here.

It kinda mirrors my experience with "someone else driving me somewhere in a strange town" -- no detailed memory is formed without active processing.

A primary example in the article is the ordeal of Albert and Rita Chretien, who fell off the grid en route to Nevada in 2011. As I recall, we discussed their plight at length (and with, ahem, considerable vigour) some years back.

#280597 - 05/05/16 01:26 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: dougwalkabout]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
And this is the technology that will navigate self-driving cars?

#280599 - 05/05/16 02:03 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: dougwalkabout]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Rand McNally Road Atlas Get one.

I like GPS as much or more than the next guy, but I also know that technology has been known to mess up. GPS receivers are great and generally know where they are located to under 20 feet. That does not mean that the map overlay is right. I've seen errors in the GPS maps on my Garmin Nuvi. The data is input by mere mortals...

As for driving into lakes and such, can't help you there, seek professional care...

#280604 - 05/05/16 03:14 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Google maps tried to direct me off of a cliff once, so I understand completely. In built up areas, gps directions are generally good. But, as experience has shown: Nothing beats a roadmap and a decent compass once you get out a ways.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#280609 - 05/05/16 03:47 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: dougwalkabout]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
http://arstechnica.com/cars/2016/05/death-by-gps/

Hey all, I thought I'd share an interesting piece that explores the infamous "death by GPS" phenomenon we've discussed a number of times here.

That is an excellent and very thought-provoking article, Doug, thanks very much for posting the link. So much information -- am interested to see where the research goes on whether brains are actually altered by reliance on GPS.

Love my Garmin GPS and the map-apps on my phone (IOS, Google, Waze) but my car remains well-stocked with paper maps -- local, regional and national. For any road trip to an area I'm not well-acquainted with, I study my destination and routes via Google Map on my laptop. These days I probably won't look at a paper map to plan the trip but certainly will have at least a paper road atlas in the car.

I live in DC and even around here the GPS/phone app may choose a certain route as the fastest/most direct while those of us who live here know darn good and well that the best route is a different one.

There will be many more deaths "by GPS" before the technology improves enough to calculate the many variables that can go into whether a route on a particular day is really the best bet for a particular vehicle and its occupants.

Meanwhile.... be prepared.

#280610 - 05/05/16 03:56 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: Dagny]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I don't often use GPS to find my way somewhere. I much prefer maps and pre-trip research. But I'll use GPS to "find my way OUT of somewhere" if need be (i.e., I'm lost!)

#280611 - 05/05/16 04:01 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is worth remembering that any map can be outdated quickly due to new construction, etc.This situation is almost routine when hiking with topographic maps - the topography will be quite reliable but the depiction of roads and trails, building, and the like may be hopelessly outdated.

Check the date on the map you are using, it is useful information.

#280631 - 05/06/16 06:57 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: dougwalkabout]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Similar problems with relying on cell phone technology...until its wrong, out of power or has no reception.

#280656 - 05/10/16 03:30 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: dougwalkabout]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Its sad. I think in every instance I have read about death by GPS, the driver took a dirt road. A simple rule of thumb, "Don't take dirt roads," would have saved them all.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.-Unknown

#280660 - 05/11/16 07:22 PM Re: 'Death by GPS' - thoughtful article [Re: Treeseeker]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
Its sad. I think in every instance I have read about death by GPS, the driver took a dirt road. A simple rule of thumb, "Don't take dirt roads," would have saved them all.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.-Unknown

That just made me smile. In my province everywhere are dirt/gravel roads. In fact Saskatchewan has 1/3 of all the dirt roads in the country (120,000+ miles). If(!) you know the grid road system in the province it is practically impossible to get lost with a gravel grid road located every 1 or 2 miles apart going east/west and north/south which demarks the township Dominion land system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 197 Guests and 11 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 12:03 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.