The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#280557 - 05/04/16 01:42 AM Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Some 80,000 people were officially told to evacuate after homes in some neighbourhoods were burned out in Fort McMurray in northern Alberta. Evacuation is mandatory. Conditions are tinder dry, after a very dry winter and spring, forest fires have crept up to the outskirts of town. The problem is, Fort Mac is serviced by only 1 major highway and it is in total gridlock as people try to leave. This is the largest fire evacuation that has ever been in Alberta and bigger than the Slave Lake evacuation in 2011.

This is after the NDP government of the day decided to cut back on the firefighting budget this year even though it was obviously this was going to be a severe fire fighting year.

Where do 80,000 people go on a moment's notice? Hopefully, the residents had their plans in place and the BOBs all loaded.

Last year in my province of Saskatchewan we had the town of La Ronge and other communities evacuated when fire burned to the outskirts - that was a mere 13,000 people and were housed in centres all over the province.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada...reach-city-edge

#280560 - 05/04/16 02:18 AM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
dougwalkabout Online   confused
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I'm following this too. It went bad with frightening speed.

Fort Mc is surrounded by boreal forest, spruce and pine. It's Crown (public) land, so it's not intensely managed. Crews have been gearing up a month earlier than usual, anticipating a bad fire season.

Conditions are incredibly hot and dry throughout Alberta this spring. (I'm 500 km south of Fort Mc, and we're under full fire bans everywhere around here.)

After a calm night, the temperature hit 32C, humidity 15%. The winds came up and shifted direction, allowing the fire to jump the fire breaks and two rivers. Under these conditions, fires make up their own rules.

I doubt many people are well prepared for evacuation. An event of this scale and speed is very rare and outside of their experience. Northerners are a resilient lot, but this is bad business.

#280562 - 05/04/16 02:30 AM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: dougwalkabout]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

One of my nephews is in the area but not Fort Mac itself. He's an accountant for one of the oil companies so he only flys up a couple times a month. He's patiently waiting for his evac notice which will likely be by plane.

The call for all types of firefighting experienced volunteers has gone out. Edmonton is providing many of its members that can be spared to go into that area. Since one of my other nephews is a Calgary FF with prior experience as a Helitak firefighter, he might volunteer for action as well. Check that - I just heard he is headed out of country for a wedding. smile Resources from neighbouring provinces are ready to go as soon as the word is given.

Edited by Roarmeister (05/04/16 02:34 AM)

#280563 - 05/04/16 03:27 AM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I would hope that teams from your neighbor to the south would assist. I'm pretty sure we have hosted some of you in our more exciting clam bakes...

#280566 - 05/04/16 04:56 AM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wishing you well! It's been a few years since I've been to Manitoba and Saskatchewan but even then between the dryness and the pine beetles with forests looked pretty rough.

#280571 - 05/04/16 11:56 AM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Scary stuff. Stay safe if you're in the area.

Quote:
It’s expected to get worse Wednesday, when winds are forecast to switch direction and increase in intensity, at speeds of 25 to 50 kilometres per hour.

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
I doubt many people are well prepared for evacuation. An event of this scale and speed is very rare and outside of their experience. Northerners are a resilient lot, but this is bad business.

It sounds like the evacuations have been a nightmare. Better to have a solid personal bug-out plan than to rely on last minute plans from the powers that be, perhaps, but those winds seem to make running from wildfires a sketchy at best. Kudos to everyone trying to help!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280580 - 05/04/16 01:40 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Consider that the safest place to be in a unpredictable firestorm is within an area that is already burned.

Best wishes to those in a very nasty situation...

#280583 - 05/04/16 04:49 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
Have a Plan and a Full Tank of Gas
boreal.net

#280585 - 05/04/16 07:01 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Residential Destruction Wildfire Update at 4:00 am

Some of the sections of town have been heavily damaged or destroyed. Approx. 1600 structures destroyed; fire is approx. 10,000 hectares in size and is expected to grow today with temps in the low 30s Celsius. Fire began on Sunday, cause unknown yet.
The pictures coming out of the area are disheartening and devastating.

#280586 - 05/04/16 09:16 PM Re: Fort Mac evacuated due to forest fires [Re: Roarmeister]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So- good to have a bug out bag and plan...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.