Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#280508 - 04/30/16 08:50 PM Earthquake Readiness Checklist
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
As I mentioned on the Hurricane Thread, I am not remotely qualified to speak on this subject but I am intrigued....

I am thinking that trigger points may be based around strebgths and frequency of those EQ's that are occurring. Those in EQ areas are requested to consider my idea and then correct or modify those ideas with their actual knowledge and experience. Here's my start:

EQCon 5: 1's and 2's are regularly occurring (pressure is constantly being released).
EQCon 4: 3's and 4's occurrances have increased above normal levels of activity.
EQCon 3: 5's are being occasionally occurring and volcano's are beginning to rumble.
EQCon 2: 5's have increased in frequency, subsurface magma movement has been detected, volcano's are occasionally releasing steam and gases.
EQCon 1: Previous EQ Activity drops to a much lower level (pressure is building), subsurface magma movement continues, volcano's continue to rumble and release steam and other gases, EQ Activity on the western side of the Ring of Fire dramatically increases with 6's and 7's.

EQCon 5:
Continue to build and rotate basic EQ supplies.
Locate suitable storage places for supplies that provide the highest chance of EQ survivability and accessibility.
Get and maintain organization of personal and business papers, personal effects.
Develope "Get Home" and "Evacuation" plans for work and family.
Have the necessary tools on hand to secure gas lines.
Address medical needs of family as is possible.

EQCon 4:
Keep gas tanks in cars above the half full level.
Update family on "Get home", "Evacuation", and "a Rendezvous/Meet Up Location" Plans.

EQCon 3:
Keep GHB in work vehicle or at the place of employment.
Keep Bug Out Bags ready to grab and go.
Insure an adequate inventory of required medications are on hand and accessible.

EQCon 2:
Insure that family members make their planned whereabouts known on a daily basis.
Review EQ Plans with family again. Refine as needed.
Top off supplies as quickly as possible. Continue rotating supplies.

EQCon 1:
Either keep family local or take a long distance vacation...
Run a family EQ Drill on a monthly or quarterly basis.
Provide small BoB's for each family member for daily carry.

Post EQ response:
Gather all family members together at the Rendezvous Point.
Conduct damage survey of property and EQ Supplies
Contact friends and family to update and get updates as communications allow.
Contact Insurance Agent(s) as Communications are restored.
Report as able, utilities issues to local authorities and/or providers.

The biggest problem that I see with this checklist is that some conditions may go on for 1, 25, 100, or longer years as Geologic events move very slowly over great expanses of time. Per this checklist, California, Oregon, and Washington are mostly in EQCon 1. C'mon West Coasters, throw reality into this list and see if something useful can arise from it....

Edited by wildman800 (04/30/16 08:54 PM)

#280510 - 04/30/16 10:00 PM Re: Earthquake Readiness Checklist [Re: wildman800]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
If you live within what is called the Ring of Fire you should always consider yourself in EQCon 2/3/4/5. If you choose to wait around at "EQCon 1" you'll have no life. Your proximity to one of the major faults as well as your mindset will determine how far up the EQCon scale you wish to wait. People here (SOCAL) are probably on higher alert after a big EQ than before. We'll generally be better prepared for the smaller aftershocks wink

Me? GHB is part of the truck kit and I never take the tank below half full,so I'm probably in EQCon 3 (maybe 2?).

I'm not bugging out for an EQ. After an EQ the damage is done, so why leave...

#280511 - 04/30/16 11:26 PM Re: Earthquake Readiness Checklist [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Predictability of EQs would be wonderful, especially if it were to be as precise as that which we now have for hurricanes. But don't hold your breath....

The best you can do is prepare - live in a frame house, securely fastened to its foundation, place your preps in locations that will likely be accessible after the event, securely fasten your water heater and similar items -no mirrors on the ceiling (but pink champagne on ice is OK). Lots of options here....

EQs of 2 or 3 magnitude are routine and not at all remarkable.

Adjust your daily activities to EQ possibilities. Get some minimal training. In my community CERT is essentially all about EQ events. My CERT bag and associated gear is stored in a doghouse close to the house. Our vehicles are parked in the open, and they also contain a modicum of useful gear. Basically, be aware that you are in EQ country, and learn to duck and cover. Know how to shut off the gas. In my opinion and situation, it is useful to carry EQ insurance.

Our general strategy is to use our abundant camp gear to live in the back yard in the immediate aftermath, assuming that the dwelling will be unsafe/uninhabitable. This should work for a fairly long period, a time when we will be salvaging or repairing. . Be ready to team up with your neighbors.

You will that rational adjustment to the potential hazards of life in EQ country will affect your habits in many ways. Keeping the gas tank 1/2 full is just the beginning.

Edited by hikermor (05/01/16 01:06 PM)

#280519 - 05/01/16 12:23 PM Re: Earthquake Readiness Checklist [Re: wildman800]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
I noticed one thing that I do, as part of my "EDC", that different from both of the lists: I always keep my gas tank at least half full.

First, if you develop that habit, you don't have to think about when you change levels; stress will be building and you have more things to think about.

Second, although you stop for gas more frequently, you end up using the same amount of gas.

Third, if you get stuck on the road in some really bad backup caused by a really bad accident, you have a lot less chance of running short of gas.

So, a half tank of gas goes along with/is part of my EDC carry.

Just a suggestion (Drilled into my head as mandatory by my Dad when I was learning to drive. . .) smile

#280520 - 05/01/16 12:32 PM Re: Earthquake Readiness Checklist [Re: wildman800]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
re: gas tank half filled...living in hurricane/tropical storm area, as bws commented, I always keep my tank half filled... additionally in the high humidity there is less chance for water to accumulate in the tank due to condensation, and the gasoline cools the in tank fuel pump

#280549 - 05/03/16 07:26 PM Re: Earthquake Readiness Checklist [Re: wildman800]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm inclined to disagree with the EQcon conditions based on strength and frequency of local temblors. Because the hazard from earthquakes varies so radically from location to location depending on soil types, proximity to faults, and building standards, you're better off looking at the Shake Damage Maps rather then recent events.

For example, the pucker factor for NW Palm Springs (W Cielo Dr area)is so high, that very few people actually live in the houses there. They're mainly tax shelter properties. The area is 10 out of 10 on the shake damage map, and vulnerable to boulders being shed from the adjacent San Jacinto mountain range. (The last time I was there, one house had their garage renovated complements of an errant 15' boulder).

On the other extreme, less then two hours drive, is the San Diego suburbs of El Cajon and Santee. They rate a 2/10 on the shake damage map, and are flatter then Kansas.

http://www.seismic.ca.gov/pub/shaking_18x23.pdf

I'm in a moderate/low shake damage area, so my e-quake preps aren't centered around getting flattened by the house itself and bug out scenarios. They're centered on not getting flattened by various pieces of tall furniture (bookshelves and tall chests), and bugging in till the pow4er gets turned back on. I have the usual evacuation and rendezvous plans as part of my general emergency kit, but they're not earthquake specific.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#280550 - 05/03/16 07:47 PM Re: Earthquake Readiness Checklist [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In prepping for EQs, it is worth remembering that there is no reliable technique for prediction, although many have been proposed. An early warning system is under development and is already partially installed in some California areas. It will give anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes notice of an EQ in progress - enough time for a surgeon to withdraw his scalpel from the patient's chest cavity....

#280605 - 05/05/16 03:26 PM Re: Earthquake Readiness Checklist [Re: wildman800]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Speaking of which.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/san-andreas-fault-%e2%80%98locked-loaded-and-ready-to-go%e2%80%99-with-big-quake-expert-says/ar-BBsE9Qs

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.