Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#280424 - 04/20/16 01:46 PM ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island...
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Animal Planet TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island: 'He Was Prepared to Die'. No one knew he was missing so no one was looking for him. From what I can tell, no preps whatsoever. Pure unadulterated luck.

#280425 - 04/20/16 02:45 PM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This is the usual, relatively superficial media report, missing what might be significant information. The guy indeed was fortunate. Of course no alcohol was involved???

#280462 - 04/24/16 08:34 PM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: Russ]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Russ
Animal Planet TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island: 'He Was Prepared to Die'. No one knew he was missing so no one was looking for him. From what I can tell, no preps whatsoever. Pure unadulterated luck.

Ah, I was expecting it to be a certain Mr Ed Stafford.
If anyone gets a chance, watch his Naked & Marooned series. Mr Stafford is a very knowledgeable and resourceful individual but his programs really make the point about being Equipped to Survive.
He was, at one point, really wishing for a Swiss Army Knife.

Swiss Army Knife and a G.I. match safe full of waterproof matches more like.

#280463 - 04/24/16 10:37 PM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

An NPR story on this incident stated that the victim was going to resume smoking, "so that he would always have a lighter with him." ???!!! Can't a non-smoker carry a lighter? This one does....

#280488 - 04/28/16 05:29 AM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
An NPR story on this incident stated that the victim was going to resume smoking, "so that he would always have a lighter with him." ???!!! Can't a non-smoker carry a lighter? This one does....

If certain individuals (feel free to mentally inserta certain S word here) that I have the displeasure of being acquainted with are to be believed then the answer is no. Apparently a drug addict (which is essentially what a smoker is) can be trusted with a lighter. Non addict's like yours truly can't.

Don't think I had better tell them about the two matchcases full of waterproof matches, ferro rod and two other lighters I E.D.C....

#280489 - 04/28/16 12:24 PM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

IMO a good EDC lighter for us non-smokers is the standard size Peanut lighter found on CountyComm. Available in brass, stainless steel, titanium, anodized aluminum and copper. There are also Split Pea (smaller) and XL (bigger) models available. To the uninformed, they don't look like lighters.

#280490 - 04/28/16 07:27 PM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I EDC a split pea and it works if I am careful to keep it fueled - it will spontaneously run dry if you don't pay attention. Still a good item. I regularly use in my cooks kits a Bic which can go years without attention.

Edited by hikermor (04/29/16 12:39 AM)

#280491 - 04/28/16 07:42 PM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

I hear ya. I've found one Bic covered in frost at the park one morning and all I needed was to dry it out -- over half full and fully functional. I dropped it in a kit and it's still there. The brass Split Pea looks much better on a keyring. wink

#280518 - 05/01/16 11:06 AM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: hikermor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: hikermor
So does this one. However, it's not often than I think to test it, so there's a real chance it will be out of fuel when I need it. A smoker will be "testing" it 20 times a day.

Also, I have been unable to find a good lighter for non-smokers. I carry a pea-style one, but (a) there's no way to see how much fuel is left, and (b) the fuel still evaporates, albeit slowly. Also, it's quite small and fiddly, and would be hard to use if my hands were cold (ie, when I most need it). I'd rather a butane lighter with a fuel window. However, the ones I've found have been too bulky, or too unreliable, or missing the fuel window. I'm not sure I'd trust a piezo ignition when wet, and I don't want an exposed grind-wheel that would trash other items in my pocket.

#280526 - 05/01/16 05:37 PM Re: ...TV Crew Finds Man on Deserted Island... [Re: Russ]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
This chap recommends carrying both electronic and flint ignition. One of the comments says that with a light colour one can see the fuel level.
Bic are available in slim and mini sizes.

https://youtu.be/t7eIG_3qMBI

qjs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 506 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.