Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#280493 - 04/29/16 12:38 AM Re: Off the Grid CPAP [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
In the California Channel Islands, fairly far off the grid, solar power has been in use for more than thirty years. As a user during this time, I am completely satisfied. Incredibly less time devoted to maintenance and I am fairly confident that energy costs are less as well.

If your situation is favorable, consider adding wind generation as well. The type of turbine found on sailing vessels works well with a small solar setup....

Edited by hikermor (04/29/16 02:55 AM)

#280494 - 04/29/16 02:26 AM Re: Off the Grid CPAP [Re: Tirec]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

CPAP's are one of the joys of getting older.

My model is a Respironics PR System One REMstar 60 Series Plus with humidifier (http://www.thecpapshop.com/respironics-pr-system-one-60-series-plus-with-humidifier-tube). I use 11cm (it goes up to 20), so it'd probably be less than the 5A listed on the device, and even less without the humidifier.

I'm an occasional hunter & camper, but use an old trailer or tent without internal batteries, so would be able to carry the weight of batteries. For short term home use, I could use a generator, but that would quickly use up fuel supplies, at night, and possibly attract unwanted attention, if the wrong scenario played out.

I am looking into this device as a non-CPAP option http://www.glidewelldental.com/dentist/services/removables-silent-nite.aspx. With the cost of going to batteries, that device may be a better option.

Thanks.

#285478 - 08/16/17 05:44 PM Re: Off the Grid CPAP [Re: Tirec]
JIM Offline
Old Hand

Loc: The Netherlands
I realise I'm replying to a old post but in the hospital we use disposable PEEP valves attached to our ambu bags when performing cpr. I would assume your could rig up one of these valves with your cpap mask.

In this study they tried a similar setup, seems like it worked for some:

https://www.proventtherapy.com/resources...se-Patients.pdf

#285927 - 09/06/17 04:14 AM Re: Off the Grid CPAP [Re: Tirec]
Tirec Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Rocky Mountain West
I kept searching and found the Freedom CPAP Battery Kit. (
https://www.cpapdirect.com/parts-and-accessories/battery-power-solutions-freedom-cpap-battery-kit )

I got an extra battery for a backup, or to run in series, and a cigarette plug adapter. With USB ports, I can charge a phone or handy-talky radio.

They also have the option of a solar charger. http://www.batterypowersolutions.net/product/sunpower-solar-panel

The two batteries will have to do for now, but the solar panel is on the list for next year's Flex Spending card, if enough's left.

Thanks, again, for the input.

#285944 - 09/06/17 09:12 PM Re: Off the Grid CPAP [Re: Tirec]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
I took an old tool box, bolted an 1500 watt inverter on the lid, and put three 35 amp hour agm batteries in the box, cabled in parallel. The combination will run my cpap and a floor fan all night, and recharges off the grid or the generator. Total cost in $400 range. Heavy, but I found a folding dolly for $15 that handles it nicely.

#288574 - 03/30/18 08:55 PM Re: Off the Grid CPAP [Re: nursemike]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
Excellent improvisation Nursemike! Are you using deep cycle batteries? What sort of life (if you will) are you getting out of the batteries?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 429 Guests and 467 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.