Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#280396 - 04/19/16 03:59 AM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: Bingley]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I think hikermor has outed himself as Marty McFly...

I was unaware of the pry bar method for breaking the window. Another use for the small pry bar that we all carry around! Hurray for this simple, versatile tool!

PS. I didn't know about electric cars in the early 20th century. Holy cow! How did we miss that technology??? I prefer quiet cars with less pollution.

Here is a brief quote from Wikipedia:"Electric cars were popular in the late 19th century and early 20th century, until advances in internal combustion engines, electric starters in particular, and mass production of cheaper gasoline vehicles led to a decline in the use of electric drive vehicles."

Good as this entry is, it is incomplete - no discussion of the 1914 Prius.....

#280402 - 04/19/16 03:33 PM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: hikermor
This sounds like sliced baloney to me...Why would anyone develop a safety feature and then not mention it?

From a mechanical engineerīs point of view the headrest was designed the way it is: removeable and with a sharp edge on the prongs. It saves smoothing up to four edges and designing and building an unneeded retention device. That is money saved and therefore money earned.
Designing it as a safety feature would require proof that it will work reliably and can be deployed with enough ease over the service life of the vehicle. That would create significant extra costs with no real benefit.

In real world terms, how significant would such a feature be. How often would one be able to use such a feature?

If it saves only a few people thatīll be enough. Surviving a ditch in the water makes one a probable customer for a new car. Thatīs a clear win-win situation.

#280406 - 04/19/16 04:11 PM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: M_a_x]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Inquiring minds want to know, so I plodded out to my Sentra and inspected the headrest. The twin prongs are nicely chamfered at a 45 degree angle (impeccable Japanese crafsmanship)- wouldn't want the owner to get any nasty gashes or cuts which could result in expensive lawsuits....

"If it saves only a few people thatīll be enough" has a nice ring to it, but some sort of rescue tool will probably be far more effective. Rather than wrestling with my headrest, I am more likely to use the Phillips head screwdriver on my Leatherman tool. It will likely be far more accessible.

Edited by hikermor (04/19/16 04:22 PM)

#280407 - 04/19/16 04:45 PM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: hikermor]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Inquiring minds want to know, so I plodded out to my Sentra and inspected the headrest. The twin prongs are nicely chamfered at a 45 degree angle (impeccable Japanese crafsmanship)- wouldn't want the owner to get any nasty gashes or cuts which could result in expensive lawsuits....

That may really depend on the pride the manufactures take in their product. I have seen some with a sharp edges too. Itīs a matter of manufacturing costs though.

"If it saves only a few people thatīll be enough" has a nice ring to it, but some sort of rescue tool will probably be far more effective. Rather than wrestling with my headrest, I am more likely to use the Phillips head screwdriver on my Leatherman tool. It will likely be far more accessible.

Itīs not intended as rescue tool. Some headrests cannot even be removed from an upright seat.

#280410 - 04/19/16 06:54 PM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I prefer what they do in my country. New cars are delivered with two rescue tools as standard. One for each front seat.

Not sure if it's law or not, but have not seen newer cars without.

#280414 - 04/19/16 08:19 PM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: Bingley]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

again, preparing for something which is pretty unlikely.

#280440 - 04/22/16 08:25 PM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: Bingley]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Snopes classes this as 'mostly false':

http://www.snopes.com/car-headrests-emergency-escape/

qjs

#280449 - 04/23/16 04:53 AM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: Bingley]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the link, quick joey!

#280473 - 04/26/16 09:21 AM Re: Car head rest as a window-breaking tool??? [Re: Bingley]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

I think a more accurate way of describing it is ( if you don't have anything else, try to use the headrest to break the glass, since, luckily, it is detachable !!) instead of ( it was made detachable for the purpose of breaking the glass )

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.