Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#280468 - 04/25/16 03:11 AM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: chaosmagnet]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
....... One of them hit a crack in the road; my wife struck that bicyclist and was flipped to land on her head. The other cyclist that fell had pretty good road rash but declined transport by ambulance and got a ride home.

My wife wanted to decline transport as well. I was...insistent that she cooperate with the paramedics.
Good on you! Head trauma, even if it seems OK right after the accident, is nothing to take lightly. Always good to get it thoroughly evaluated.

A good friend of mine got clipped by a trailer while on a road ride. The first instant his fellow rider realized something happened was when he saw parts of my friends bike helmet fly by in his peripheral vision. My friends helmet was totally shattered but he didn't suffer permanent brain injury. He did spend a week in the hospital from other injuries, but recovered to ride again.

His experience definitely made me a believer in bike helmets!

#280471 - 04/25/16 02:13 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: AKSAR]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Over time, I have worn a helmet more and more frequently, in a greater variety of situations and pursuits. This has been helped along by responding to accident scenes where a helmet would have probably saved lives.

I started out wearing a construction grade hard hat while caving -obviously useful because you are always scraping your head and you also need a place to fasten your light. I bicycled and climbed for years without a helmet, but I eventually changed.

My oldest daughter suffered through two hospitalizations resulting from injuries incurred while riding sans helmet. After the second event, I told to wear head protection. "It's too dorky," was the response, and she gave up cycling. Later, after a career in the ER, I notice that her kids do indeed wear bike helmets, which are available in an increasing variety of protective and attractive styles - so much for "dorky."

#280472 - 04/25/16 09:20 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Fire Captain: "Mr. Magnet? Your wife doesn't want to get in the ambulance."

My words: "Dear, I think you better get in the ambulance."

My tone: GET IN THE $&£€ING BUS RIGHT NOW BEFORE I LOSE MY #¥%^.

My thoughts after I heard myself say it: "I do not usually speak to my wife that way."

My wife's words after I said it: "Okay."

#280529 - 05/01/16 08:34 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: hikermor]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Do everything possible to increase your visibility - bright clothes, multiple lights, and plenty of reflectors. Keep your guard up, even on a bike path - look out for kamikaze cyclists. Speaking of which, the accident rate would plummet if more cyclists learned and followed the rules of the road. Lessons learned from 35 years commuting (and a bike tour now and then)

No arguments on that one here. I've lost count of how many cyclists have jumped a light (and I'm on a bike and stopped at the lights) right in front of me. Interestingly they are usually dressed like they are doing the Tour de France. Their Guardian Angels seem to be on the job. As yet no one has been offed by a honking big lorry which is either a very good thing or dashed annoying.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 388 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.