Topic Options
#280453 - 04/23/16 07:51 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: hikermor]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Helmet by Merriwether Adventurer, on Flickr

Originally Posted By: hikermor
OK, Blast. Enough about you. What is the condition of the helmet that shielded you? Any pics?

I am sure whatever condition said helmet may appear to be, it should be honorably retired.

Hope all goes well with your visit on Tuesday...
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#280454 - 04/23/16 07:56 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: bacpacjac]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Best wishes on your recovery!

#280455 - 04/23/16 08:10 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: Blast]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's a fairly significant crack in your helmet -- seriously. Best wishes on a speedy recovery.

On that note, I've read that your brain heals better from physical injury if you don't think too much. It's one of the reasons a medically induced coma is part of the treatment in some cases. Or so I've read. Apparently the brain needs energy to think (who'a'thunk) and the same energy is required to heal from trauma such as a concussion. Coma fixes the thinking part so the brain can concentrate on healing.

On a separate topic, the helmet I bought 25 years ago is probably beyond is "use-by" date. Any recommendations for a replacement? All I used it for was holding a mirror and it excelled at that task. Never put it to work like Blast.

Again, best wishes for a full recovery.

#280456 - 04/24/16 03:33 AM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Any helmet that old should be retired instantly -- do not ride with it even one more time. Go to a good bike store and find a modern helmet that fits you well. Helmet expiration dates vary from 3 to 8 years, in my experience. It's worth buying one with a shorter date on it if it fits you well.

#280457 - 04/24/16 01:34 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Basically, any helmet in a reputable store will meet the same certification standard(s), so they all should provide the same level of protection. Comfort is important, and most helmets are adjustable over a fairly wide range.

One important variable is color. I would not recommend a dark color. Based on my riding, and from observations from behind the wheel while driving, a bright or white color makes the rider much more conspicuous, while a black helmet obscures your presence. I like red a lot, but it fades to black in reduced visibility.

So flaunt the color of purity when you ride. It fits, right??

#280458 - 04/24/16 03:22 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
I think some helmet manufacturers will replace for free any helmet that saved your head in a crash. Blast might want to check the manufacturer's policy.

#280461 - 04/24/16 08:16 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: chaosmagnet]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Last year my wife was in a serious bicycle accident. If she hadn't been wearing her helmet she probably would have been killed. As it was she was months recovering.

Best wishes to Blast for a speedy and full recovery.

Everybody else: don't ride your bike without a properly fitted, unexpired helmet.

Sorry to hear that.

Rule one of cycling (and this is twenty five years of cycling to and from work speaking): Assume that everyone else on the road hates you, and thinks you would look just peachy as a pancaked road kill.
So make a point of always being where it is difficult to get at you.
Rule two: Your the softest, sqishiest most invisable thing on the road. Always assume that they ain't seen you and be ready to get out of the way real quick.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (04/24/16 08:21 PM)

#280464 - 04/24/16 10:43 PM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Do everything possible to increase your visibility - bright clothes, multiple lights, and plenty of reflectors. Keep your guard up, even on a bike path - look out for kamikaze cyclists. Speaking of which, the accident rate would plummet if more cyclists learned and followed the rules of the road. Lessons learned from 35 years commuting (and a bike tour now and then)

#280466 - 04/25/16 01:27 AM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: bacpacjac]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
No car was involved in my wife's accident, nor any negligence on anyone's part. She was in a what I suppose one calls a peloton of road bicyclists heading downhill at speed, 30+ MPH. One of them hit a crack in the road; my wife struck that bicyclist and was flipped to land on her head. The other cyclist that fell had pretty good road rash but declined transport by ambulance and got a ride home.

My wife wanted to decline transport as well. I was...insistent that she cooperate with the paramedics.

#280467 - 04/25/16 03:02 AM Re: Kudos to Blast's Helmet [Re: bacpacjac]
jshannon Offline
Addict

Loc: North Texas
Sorry to hear of your accident Blast. Best wishes for a speedy recovery. : )

Edited by jshannon (04/25/16 03:03 AM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Jeanette_Isabelle), 430 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.