Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#280183 - 03/31/16 11:25 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
A nice addition to the tool kit would be a T handle for the bit extender - something slotted to fit right over the bit extender blade. Any bright ideas? Such a gadget should be fashioned so that it has more than that one use, like a diamond coated surface so that it could sharpen blades....

#280188 - 04/01/16 03:14 AM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
That's the slightly modified bits holder for me. I've tried to explain that with the first image above, but probably in too much details smile It's not ideal, as the plastic there quite soft, but often it's sufficient to do the job, especially if you pinch the center with your fingers. I plan to print it in white PLA to make it more rigid in the middle, more visible, and maybe with a couple more slots for bits.

Edited by Alex (04/01/16 03:15 AM)

#280189 - 04/01/16 03:17 AM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
All my LM bit kits (and I have a few) are stored with the LM bit extender and are supposed to be associated with a multitool. So, for me, modifying the bit cards wouldn't be helpful. But I can see where you're coming from with it.

#280190 - 04/01/16 03:24 AM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
By the way, does anybody know the official purpouse of such an odd shape of these bit cards? And their tail feature?

#280192 - 04/01/16 04:22 AM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

My speculation is that they were designed to fit in the bit kit pouch and one at a time in the back of certain LM multitool pouches. The "tail" seems to me to be designed like a shoehorn, to make it easier to insert them therein.

#280195 - 04/01/16 01:27 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
You really need the "shoehorn" function to get both bit holders into the LMW holster, and at that, it isn't all that easy...

#280196 - 04/01/16 01:39 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: hikermor
You really need the "shoehorn" function to get both bit holders into the LMW holster, and at that, it isn't all that easy...

Yep. I don't carry them that way.

I have a very small Leatherman Cordura pouch that just fits the two bit cards. This pouch sits next to a Surge in my car-based emergency kit; the bit extender fits neatly with the file in the Surge belt holster.

Countycomm makes a "Zipper Key Pouch" that neatly fits the two bit cards and the extender. One of these lives in my range bag next to my MUT and the other in my dresser next to my Wave.

#280352 - 04/16/16 07:37 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I want a buckle that will fit 2 keys - kickstarter?

#280357 - 04/17/16 04:53 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: Alex]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
That is a cool little kit. Some pretty nifty ideas. Makes me re-think my LMW set-up. Thanks for sharing, Alex!

Originally Posted By: Alex
My experience exactly. But try adding some duct tape over the extender. For me it makes a much more comfortable handle for the standalone use, and also helps to better securing it in the side loop of the nylon Wave belt holster. The width of the tape matches the bottom length of it exactly. The length of the piece is substantial to be useful (about 3').

Another useful trick I'm using - a side cut in the middle of the plastic bits holder, extending the middle bit's loop, so you can insert the extender into it making a high torqur handle. The plastic is weak though, so don't expect a really high torque, still - good yo have, without compromising anything.

Just made some pictures:

What's inside (the brightness is artificially enhanced for clarity):

1. two aluminum pieces (scavenged floppy doors);

2. sewing needle with strong nylon thread;

3. forceps (it's sad the LMW lacks it);

4. bits bank with cut-off section (middle bottom) for the extender insertion, note the hair-thin Nichrome wire winded around it between bits, it can be used as a great plastics saw, and as a reusable conductor for fire starting with the flashlight battery;

5. HD sewing needle, needle with handle, large injections (hollow) needle in the pocket behind the velcro;

6. extender with duct tape and standard (computer screw sized) bit;

7. AA flaslight;

8. peanut lighter sealed with white duct tape (white DT is good for writing with space pen on my key chain; sealing prolongs the fuel life in the lighter for much longer that with just the stock seal);

9. piece of white duct tape over the unused side of the pouch closure velcro with my email address (actually it's there for preventing the lint accumulation on the exposed velcro piece; it is exposed, because of the peanut lighter riding at the bottom of the pouch, preventing it from normal closing);

10. the bottom end of two types of the steel wire hunks, can be used as a reliable gear attachment point (see the image of the back);

11. steel wire screwing split ring - easy to undo one handed, reduces the lanyard's frying over the LMW's steel edges.

12. The lanyard with some split rings and swivels. I lost one LMW, now using the lanyard with everything in the pouch; it is long enough to operate the tool without detouching it; winded around the tool when in the pouch.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#280358 - 04/17/16 05:06 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I want a buckle that will fit 2 keys - kickstarter?

That would be cool! Combined with the travel belt with a zipper pocket, with a few simple but useful bits of kit...

That black Men's Surplus buckle above looks pretty cool too, but it's chunkier than I'd want for EDC. I like the idea of carrying my kit on me, using something I'm wearing already. (Paracord as shoe and boot laces, for example.) I usually wear a belt, so why not make it a little more useful with the addition of a multi-function buckle? I'd have to be careful though, because it's too easy to end up with Batman's utility belt. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 454 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.