Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#280143 - 03/30/16 03:38 AM Multi-function Belt Buckle
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I ran across this gadget in REI a few months ago. It works well as a belt and may be useful in other ways as well:

https://www.rei.com/product/868401/bison-designs-kool-tool-belt-mens

Since I usually wear a belt, the "tools' on this gadget may come in handy one of these days, although they would not be quite as useful as the real thing. At least as potentially useful as the typical survival bracelet, and a whole lot cheaper than the commercial SBs...

#280146 - 03/30/16 05:36 AM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

That would definitely complete this utility belt:

On a serious note, while I appreciate the constraint of the belt buckle design -- it's gotta be mostly flat -- I'm not sure those would be the top choice of tools for me. But then maybe it's meant to complement some sort of kit?

I find the screwdrivers on the Leatherman Wave to be a pain in the neck to use. Using the belt buckle to tighten or loosen a screw must be quite a challenge to one's patience.

#280147 - 03/30/16 05:55 AM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I plan to make a paracord belt (substantial amount of cordage, plenty of attachment points), and have been looking for a no nonsense "survival" buckle for it as well. Unfortunately, this one will not work for me, as it's friction based, which is good with the webbing only (and the webbing must be of a certain width and thickness to work well with that one). The best option I've found so far: http://www.amazon.com/686-Mens-Surplus-Toolbelt-Large/dp/B00SGQT182

...but somewhat expensive, especially knowing that I will ditch the belt itself smile

Also I like the Gerber belt idea with the hidden container:

Perhaps, I should just 3D print a similar design, but for a paracord belt.

Another very appealing idea, but significantly less casual:

reserved for the hiking pants.

#280148 - 03/30/16 06:12 AM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: Bingley]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: Bingley

I find the screwdrivers on the Leatherman Wave to be a pain in the neck to use. Using the belt buckle to tighten or loosen a screw must be quite a challenge to one's patience.

Get the LM screwdriver extender, wrap with duct tape - works great with LM and as a standalone SD, and also accepts regular bits.

#280152 - 03/30/16 01:43 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

If I use the Bison Design belt buckle at all in its tool mode, I expect to have my Wave in use along with it. That means I will have the bit extender - an absolutely marvelous gadget -, the bit kit array, a 4" adjustable wrench, and a small diamond file - all of which fit in the nylon Wave belt holster.

I regard the BD buckle as an extra, "no cost" appendage to this admittedly sparse tool kit. It is no cost since I will have a belt with buckle anyway, and it might as well have an additional use. I wouldn't be surprised if I didn't have to separate the buckle from the belt (easily done) to actually use it.

I find the bit extender really useful - often I can use it with an appropriate bit, and never use the Wave at all. Even better is the bit holder, with or without the extender, on the skeletool - it is becoming my 'go to"screwdriver for odd jobs, even in preference to a conventional tool.

#280154 - 03/30/16 05:45 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

My experience exactly. But try adding some duct tape over the extender. For me it makes a much more comfortable handle for the standalone use, and also helps to better securing it in the side loop of the nylon Wave belt holster. The width of the tape matches the bottom length of it exactly. The length of the piece is substantial to be useful (about 3').

Another useful trick I'm using - a side cut in the middle of the plastic bits holder, extending the middle bit's loop, so you can insert the extender into it making a high torqur handle. The plastic is weak though, so don't expect a really high torque, still - good yo have, without compromising anything.

Just made some pictures:

What's inside (the brightness is artificially enhanced for clarity):

1. two aluminum pieces (scavenged floppy doors);

2. sewing needle with strong nylon thread;

3. forceps (it's sad the LMW lacks it);

4. bits bank with cut-off section (middle bottom) for the extender insertion, note the hair-thin Nichrome wire winded around it between bits, it can be used as a great plastics saw, and as a reusable conductor for fire starting with the flashlight battery;

5. HD sewing needle, needle with handle, large injections (hollow) needle in the pocket behind the velcro;

6. extender with duct tape and standard (computer screw sized) bit;

7. AA flaslight;

8. peanut lighter sealed with white duct tape (white DT is good for writing with space pen on my key chain; sealing prolongs the fuel life in the lighter for much longer that with just the stock seal);

9. piece of white duct tape over the unused side of the pouch closure velcro with my email address (actually it's there for preventing the lint accumulation on the exposed velcro piece; it is exposed, because of the peanut lighter riding at the bottom of the pouch, preventing it from normal closing);

10. the bottom end of two types of the steel wire hunks, can be used as a reliable gear attachment point (see the image of the back);

11. steel wire screwing split ring - easy to undo one handed, reduces the lanyard's frying over the LMW's steel edges.

12. The lanyard with some split rings and swivels. I lost one LMW, now using the lanyard with everything in the pouch; it is long enough to operate the tool without detouching it; winded around the tool when in the pouch.

#280155 - 03/30/16 06:32 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Back to the belt, that's right, screwdrivers with LMW at hand are redundant, but I'm talking about the idea. Instead of these common bits, I can "forge in" something less common, like metric hexes, or maybe even ferrocerium rods (not sure in their strength though).

#280157 - 03/30/16 07:13 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The best belt-mods I've found are a travel belt with a small zippered pocket, and having a small pouch attached for gear. A deck of cards sized pouch can carry a nice amount.

#280162 - 03/30/16 09:52 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

I see you have only one plastic bits holder (bits bank). I can insert two holders behind the LMW and all together I have nearly all the fastener tools known to the civilized world, including metric hexes. The other day I had to deal with a wee small set screw and I used one of my bits all by itself. I didn't even need to put it in a holder.

The only problem with my setup is that it is noticeably heavy- not an issue around town, but when I am hiking, it is unnecessary weight. At that point I am comfortable leaving the LMW in the vehicle and go out on foot with the skeletool (LMSk?).

It would be interesting to see how many different types of tools one could manage to insert into a LMW nylon holster.....

May the best assortment win!

#280173 - 03/31/16 04:35 PM Re: Multi-function Belt Buckle [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

That's right, I've decided to carry a single bits holder after a while, as only one of them fits into the inner stretch pocket of the holster and after figuring the less useful bits. If it will be siting just beside the tool - there is a good chance to loose it while unholestering the tool blindly in a hurry. But definitely that could be fixed adding a small lanyard to it.

By the way, the steel wire is a great resource for tools improvisation with LM as well. I've been making tiny screwdrivers (flat, hex) out of it, used it for shimming metric hexes (to undo them with imperial hexes), made slotted / "dimpled" nuts keys, used it to improvise nails, rivets, etc.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.