Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271421 - 08/24/14 05:53 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Phaedrus]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Right on - pcord is rather bulky. I like braided nylon mason's twine for most uses (pitching tarps and the like). If you need rope for climbing and safety, go for the real stuff, 9mm or more in diameter, and designed for the purpose.

#271430 - 08/25/14 06:25 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I really like the waxed cord, too. Realistically for general outdoors/survival use rope isn't needed or optimal IMO.

#271434 - 08/25/14 02:06 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
RNewcomb Offline

Loc: Iowa
I like paracord, but it always seems to get tangled up in my backpack.

I saw one of these out on Amazon the other day, and thought it would be great to wrap my cord around and have a handy cutter for it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNYRHPY/ref=...d=IM72RULYUCICW

Seems a little pricey for what it is, but it does look convenient. Any thoughts?

Rod

#271436 - 08/25/14 02:59 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Phaedrus]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Phaedrus
Thanks for the observations.I tightly bundle and wrap paracord to reduce it's bulk. Personally I prefer the surveyors twine over paracord, much thinner and phenomaly strong. (I currently carry bundles of it in shocking pink, much easier to see year round). I'm not familiar with bank line?

#271437 - 08/25/14 03:08 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: RNewcomb]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

RNewcombe
The device looks both bulky and pricey in my opinion. But, that's JUST my opinion. I'd rather use my knife to cut the cord and spend the money on a fire steel, or a stove, fuel or some other item I need. Or think I need over the little womans protests.

#271442 - 08/25/14 06:28 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
If you want any information or tools for paracord (or want well done completed items) get in touch with Kevin Gagne (a member of this forum as The Paracordist) at www.paracordist.com There are also several good video's on his site.

Kevin makes a lot of excellent items, his ranger beads are the best I have ever used.

As usual, no association other than as a satisfied customer.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#271450 - 08/26/14 03:04 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: JerryFountain]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Jerry
Thanks. I'll check it out. I see I forgot to mention water purification tablets to be included.This is why I make lists.

#271469 - 08/27/14 09:54 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: RNewcomb]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: RNewcomb
I like paracord, but it always seems to get tangled up in my backpack.

I saw one of these out on Amazon the other day, and thought it would be great to wrap my cord around and have a handy cutter for it.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FNYRHPY/ref=...d=IM72RULYUCICW

Seems a little pricey for what it is, but it does look convenient. Any thoughts?

Rod

Pricey?
You dare to suggest that $18 is pricey for an item with:

"Lenox® Shatterproof Stainless Steel Bi-Metal Titanium Coated Utility Blade (Replaceable).
All Stainless Steel Hardware (2 Hatch nuts and screws, plus one spare set-we all loose things).
8 multisize proprietary burn slots, for finishing the ends of heated paracord.
Integrated MINI BIC® Lighter retention system. (Lighter not included)"

This has to be a bargain.

The copy writers clearly have experience in menu creation for upscale eateries: " medallions of succulent Kobe beef from pampered Angus steers, lovingly braised in the milk of Oahu coconuts, festooned with garlands of grilled Milanese zucchini..."

On the other hand, you could pocket a folding knife and a mini-bic, stuff the cord in a ziplock, and be on your way 2 ounces lighter and $18 richer...but those "proprietary burn slots"...I am not sure how to cope without them...oh wait...I hold on to the cord with one hand, the bic with the other, and it all works out, except for the drops of molten nylon on my shoes.

OTOH, this clearly provides copy-writing work for unemployed English majors, but they are penalized 2 points for confusing the use of "lose" and "loose".

File this with the tactical black toilet paper.

#271470 - 08/27/14 10:26 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: nursemike]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: nursemike
except for the drops of molten nylon on my shoes.

I've recently accepted a new position as the Director of Sales for the only American company that manufactures a complete, integrated shoe protection system for people like you. PM me for details.

#271471 - 08/28/14 01:25 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: chaosmagnet]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Originally Posted By: nursemike
except for the drops of molten nylon on my shoes.

I've recently accepted a new position as the Director of Sales for the only American company that manufactures a complete, integrated shoe protection system for people like you. PM me for details.

Spoiler alert--new TV show for next season: Naked and Afraid of dripping hot nylon on my bare feet.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.