Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#271381 - 08/21/14 10:45 PM Paracord Bracelets
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Yeah they're all the rage. But finding one to fit my wrist, or the little woman's slender wrist just didn't seem worth the effort.
Until now.
I've found a buckle which not only has a whistle, but a small ferro rod and scraper built in.
Does anyone know anything about braiding these bracelets? Such as a website called braiding for dummies with big clumsy hands? And can additional supplies be concealed in the braiding?
Thanks.

#271382 - 08/22/14 12:39 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I have placed those buckles in various locations on my packs where they will be handy if and when I need them. I just don't get paracord bracelets; I consider them to be more of a hazard than a help.

When doing significant climbing, I will remove my wedding ring, usually putting on my key chain or some other safe place because I don't want a deglovement injury if the ring gets snagged on a rock. I could see the same or a similar problem with a nice strong paracord bracelet.

I like to keep pcord and other cordage handy, usually just stuffed in a zip lock baggie. I can deploy that cordage much more readily than unraveling some darn bracelet.

Besides that, I just can't find paracord that matches the tint of my eyes and complements my hair.....

Edited by hikermor (08/22/14 12:44 AM)

#271383 - 08/22/14 12:43 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
yee Offline

Funny, I just found the SAME buckle on ebay and have two coming in from China at about $2.50 each. I'm going to use them on the sternum strap of my backpacks.

As far as the braiding, its just a cobra sinnet

http://www.animatedknots.com/cobra/

I haven't been a big fan of the cobra due to the work involved in making and (more importantly) dis-assembling it for actual use.
It is possible to hide something long and thin inside the cobra but be aware that this may make the sinnet a bit stiff for a bracelet.

I have been using the chain sinnet for my lanyards

http://www.animatedknots.com/chainsinnet/

which is simpler to untie (a quick pull) but "stores" less cord than the cobra. I use about 8' paracord for my knife lanyard. It works well for me.

To go back to an earlier thread where I asked about a slippery bend so that a lanyard will give safely (in the event that the lanyard unexpectedly hitches on something), I found a good solution:

On one end of my chain sinnet, I make a bight. On the other end, I tie a strangle knot over the bight

http://www.animatedknots.com/strangleend/

With paracord, the bend gives fairly easily but I have to periodically retie the bend because it gives. The strangle knot seems to work better than a constrictor for me.

#271384 - 08/22/14 03:52 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
Burncycle Offline
Addict

Honestly I just watch youtube videos that explain how to do it, and accept that I'm probably going to have to do it more than once to get it right!

There are a few patterns you can follow, and the basic ones are pretty simple... but there are a few designs out there that are very easy to undo when you need to use the cord, though some can be a pain in the butt to do.

Personally I don't like a lot of junk on my wrists and it's kind of a fad thing now, so I made mine big enough to go around my ankle loosely. Not only do I get more cord out of the deal but it's hidden unless I need it.

I am fond of the "BSB" style bracelet when it comes to accessories; it has a ferro rod, jute twine for tinder, and a nameplate / striker. Pretty neat.

#271408 - 08/23/14 04:54 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: hikermor]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

That's a tough one hiker. Accessorizing and color co-ordination are both vital to survival and often so hard to accomplish. LOL.

#271409 - 08/23/14 05:04 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: yee]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Thanks Yee.
Thats where I found them, ebay, and a lot of other small items for kits. I was told not hold my breath waiting for them.
I was thinking of a #11 scalpel blade, short needle with thread,2 small safety pins, braided fishing line because monofiliment has long term problems, non lead split shot, swivel , a few small hooks and some tinder kwick. MAYBE a tiny straw of triple antibiotic and some butterfly closures. Kind of a I've lost everything else and this is my last ditch gear. Perhaps glue a button compass on the buckle and polish the striker as a signal mirror.

#271410 - 08/23/14 05:06 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Burncycle]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

Interesting thoughts Burncycle. I hadn't consider those points. Thanks

#271412 - 08/23/14 06:03 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I tell people that if you are willing to wear one all the time it might do you some good. i.e. you turn a "Critical Survival Item" into Wearable Fashion. If not it's just 3m of Cord and if you simply carry the cord it is far easier and quicker to employ.

Same 3m (10Feet) of Cord

If you place some other Critical Survival Items on/in the Bracket it would be more useful, but only if the items themselves are worth carrying.
boreal.net

#271413 - 08/23/14 06:10 PM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: BruceZed]
Deathwind Offline
Enthusiast

This is true Bruce.

#271418 - 08/24/14 06:07 AM Re: Paracord Bracelets [Re: Deathwind]
Phaedrus Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I appreciate the idea but it has to be slow and cumbersome to unravel the bracelet when you need cordage. Seems like a lot of work for a little bit of useful material. And I very much dislike jewelry. I wear a watch but that's about all I can tolerate. Back when I was married it was very difficult to get used to wearing a ring.

This might be heresy but I'll say it nonetheless- paracord is a bit overrated. It's great stuff but pretty bulky for the length. It's not really very usable as rope and overkill for most uses of cordage. Don't get me wrong, I love the stuff and use it quite a bit. But for survival/emergency uses I think bank line is better. It's very strong but much less bulky.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 134 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.