Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 51 of 57 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 56 57 >
Topic Options
#301714 - 05/31/23 01:34 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle

Although I am not familiar with the detailed mechanisms, as per the explanation provided to me, the gadget sends the electromagnetic pulse to the ground.

The short version is: It cannot do that, not against any EMP that would matter to your equipment. If you possibly can, my advice is to cancel the order or return it unopened for a refund.

#301715 - 05/31/23 01:42 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: AKSAR]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade. However before spending money on one of these, I would do a bit of research. The website for this product makes a lot of strong claims, with little or no supporting technical data.

Our circle of associates, which includes some well-educated individuals, highly recommends EMP Shield as the only reliable device for its intended purpose.

Jeanette Isabelle

#301716 - 05/31/23 01:49 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
The short version is: It cannot do that, not against any EMP that would matter to your equipment. If you possibly can, my advice is to cancel the order or return it unopened for a refund.

In simpler terms, should you avoid using EMP Shield and risk having your appliances damaged by an electromagnetic pulse?

Jeanette Isabelle

#301717 - 05/31/23 07:14 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: AKSAR
I don't wish to rain on anyone's parade. However before spending money on one of these, I would do a bit of research. The website for this product makes a lot of strong claims, with little or no supporting technical data.

Our circle of associates, which includes some well-educated individuals, highly recommends EMP Shield as the only reliable device for its intended purpose.

Jeanette Isabelle
I don't wish to dis your associates. However, regarding EMP protection, the basic physics indicates your associates are mistaken.

In simpler terms, should you avoid using EMP Shield and risk having your appliances damaged by an electromagnetic pulse?

Jeanette Isabelle
You need to understand that there are basically two situations that can occur. The first situation is when the source of the EMP is distant from you. In this case, by the time the pulse gets to you, it is two weak to directly damage your devices. However the EMP interacts with the power grid at that distant location. Long conductors like power lines are very susceptible to EMP. The EMP generates a strong voltage/current surge in the power line. In effect the power line acts like a giant antenna, and conducts that surge to you at your distant location. In this case, the EMP Shield might give you a similar level of protection to other commonly available surge protectors that cost half as much or less.

In the second scenario, the sources of the EMP is much closer to you, and the pulse is much stronger. Because it is a "pulse", that means it contains a very wide range of frequencies, from very low to very high. In this case, the EMP can directly damage sensitive electronics. The only way to protect against a strong EMP from a nearby source is to put your device inside a Faraday Shield. This is a conductive shield that completely surrounds the device. However, the design of Faraday Shields is not as simple as some people suggest. In particular, any holes in the shield need to be significantly smaller than the wavelength of the highest frequency you are trying to protect against. Sometimes a "Faraday Cage" can be made out of wire mesh or similar. However, these only protect against wavelengths significantly longer than the size of the openings in the mesh. In this situation of a nearby strong EMP, the EMP Shield wired into your power supply will provide ZERO PROTECTION.

Also keep in mind that in the case of a nearby EMP, say from a nuclear explosion, you probably will have other far more pressing things to worry about than if your appliances still work.

Ultimately, you are free to spend your money however you choose. But in this case the basic physics of the situation indicate that EMP Shield is at best an very overpriced surge protector.

#301718 - 05/31/23 08:42 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I clicked on the link and thought the same thing. If its wires to the incoming power then its basically a surge protector/suppressor as those work the same way, they shunt over voltage to ground. Usually surge protectors/suppressors use MOV's and there are varying levels of quality of speed of response. So I'd speculate for the price its hopefully a high quality surge suppressor/protector.

What used to get people a lot was not the EMP/EMF through the power grid as most electric devices are tolerant of some fluctuation of voltage and surges/spikes/etc but rather a surge through another entry into the home like a phone or cable line or tv antenna. My pc repair days we found many a blown up modem and many of those people upset because they had a surge protector/suppressor. Lightning would strike the pole or near the lines between the poles and the surge would come in the power and phone line and the surge suppressor would shunt the power but the directly connected modem would still get the hit from the surge on the phone line.

So this device is kind of like putting an expensive lock on the front door while leaving the back door open. You need to protect any and all other wires coming into the home. Also it would do nothing for non-grid connected devices hit by a local EMP that wasn't traveling through the power lines.

Most of us now a days will change internet/cable/phone providers somewhat often as we get better deals and technology changes. One thing I've always done is followed any wire I'm not using to the outside box and disconnect it there to isolate that connection from the rest of the grid.

#301719 - 05/31/23 08:45 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Anyway, what I did to prepare May 30, 2023 was get in some exercise.
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/11234763938
I moved from the beginner to intermediate trail this year and go around that loop ~ twice a week now. It gives a good workout, mixture of cardio and interval training, lots of back and forth between sitting and standing, etc.

#301720 - 05/31/23 08:49 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I think AKSAR lays out the case very clearly. It's a surge protector. It may be of use in some scenarios. Whether it's good value, well, I have my doubts. The site seems heavy on breathless marketing and very light on details.

I am considerably more skeptical of the vehicle version. This strikes me as pure smoke and mirrors.

#301721 - 05/31/23 09:25 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: Eugene]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Eugene
Also it would do nothing for non-grid connected devices hit by a local EMP that wasn't traveling through the power lines.

I assumed that we wouldn't be able to produce electricity if our solar generator wasn't connected during an EMP. frown

Jeanette Isabelle

#301722 - 05/31/23 10:27 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I was meaning more things like your cell phone, battery powered radio, etc.

#301723 - 05/31/23 11:57 PM Re: What did you do today to prepare? [Re: bacpacjac]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

May 31 2023. Replaced the media in my tumbler and de-primed and tumbled some .357 brass

Page 51 of 57 < 1 2 ... 49 50 51 52 53 ... 56 57 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.