Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279835 - 03/06/16 09:55 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: dweste]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My on-body EDC has a locking folder (almost always a mini-RitterGrip but sometimes a full-size) and a backup blade on a keyring multi (LM PS4). I also carry a primary flashlight (Nitecore MT10C) and a keyring backup (Thrunite Ti).

#279836 - 03/06/16 10:12 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: Bingley]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Alright, how many of you carry a spare of any item in your EDC kit? How many of you carry two spares of any item?

i just emptied my pockets to show you what i EDC 24/7:

kit with custom peanut lighter, custom SAK Minichamp, back-up survival Mako AAA flashlight, razor sharp william henry lockblade folder for emergencies, plus a DQG AAA flashlight for daily use and CF small sebenza for everyday chores.

thats three knives, two flashight and a lighter on me, and my pack has additional backups.

#279837 - 03/07/16 12:13 AM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: Tjin]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tjin
Redundancy is your mate's pack and simply not losing/breaking things.

Having intimate knowledge your area and your gear fall in line with this philosophy. It will also help refine your redundancies so that you're not carrying multiples of everything, but have back-ups for crucial gear.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279841 - 03/07/16 01:39 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: dweste]
williamlatham Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Stafford, VA, USA
This is one of those rules that I hate. Back when I was a cave diver (probably the most dangerous hobby one can have) there were basic rules. You always had three light sources, but only one set of tanks that could be isolated from each other. Two regulators, but that was to support your buddy in case of emergency. Everything else was singular including cave reel. My point, you made sure that your gear was always perfect, you were streamlined so as to not catch anything, and you were trained above and beyond what normal divers do.

Carrying backups is fine in some situations, but they do add up in weight and bulk which causes additional stress on the body and starts to kill your performance.

My EDC, Ritter mini, streamlight (CR123), bic lighter, 4 quarters, mini fisher space pen, and my phone. Photon on my key chain, but I don't always have them with me. Firesteel with tinder in my parka pocket, but only if I wear it.

#279842 - 03/07/16 01:52 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: dweste]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I am with Russ, I have never heard of such a "rule". The axiom of "2 is 1, 1 is none" is really intended for critical items that have a tendency to fail. On a military mission, failure is not an option, you can't just turn around and say "I will try again tomorrow" so you carried redundant gear and accepted the weight.

In this vein, however; I would carry some redundant capabilities that are critical, but generally multi-use, such as shelter (ponchos), cordage, fire starting methods, tools (but generally different tools with different capabilities such as a sheath knife and a multi-tool), light (headlamp, larger flashlight, small pocket light). I may carry a little extra in the way of expendable supplies as well, but not double or triple.

#279843 - 03/07/16 02:26 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
The thing about going solo is that, among other things, it sharpens your planning and preparations, because getting out of a jam depends entirely upon you, your gear, and your capabilities. in some ways, you may even be safer than going in a group and depending upon "group think" to deal with the unexpected.

Going solo into demanding terrain (i.e., mountains) is usually not a good idea. As a responsible climber, I never did it more than once a month....

#279844 - 03/07/16 03:18 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: Bingley]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
I carry about a dozen matches. Technically that accounts for 11 spares. I carry two ferrocerium rods (one on my keychain, one in my PSK container) and for redundancy a mini BIC lighter. I have a fixed blade knife and as backup (or spare) a locking folder. I have two pens in my pocket and one in my PSK. Usually I have one small flashlight and a Photon as a spare. I also have spare batteries for my handheld radio.

#279845 - 03/07/16 03:29 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Russ
That's not a rule, it's barely an axiom. As I recall the statement was, "one is none and two is one". The second one is the back-up, there's no three.

The way I learned it, it originally was about the buddy system and not about gear and backup.

#279850 - 03/07/16 05:14 PM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: M_a_x]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That could be true; it would put an end to the thought that since your buddy has a knife, you don't need to carry one. Or since he's a smoker and always carries a lighter, I don't need one. If you get separated, one becomes none.

I generally don't have a back-up person so that idea wasn't in my head, but it makes sense.

#279856 - 03/08/16 12:50 AM Re: Rule of Threes, when going solo [Re: dweste]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Bringing just one of an item forces you to make sure it is a good one, that you know how to use it, and that is will be up to the task.

That old quote about the man who only owns one rifle---.

Consumables are something else. That rifleman probably has more than 1 bullet.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (Herman30, Phaedrus), 405 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.