Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279892 - 03/09/16 04:22 AM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Actually, red might be taken for gang colors which could be very detrimental for your health in the wrong neighborhoods. Alas, red is my fave color, followed closely by blue. Purple, anyone??

#279895 - 03/09/16 08:21 AM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Grape Street Crips (Watts neighborhood of LA).
I know about red: Bloods, blue: Crips, green: Syndo Mob, various combinations of black/grey/silver/gold: many gangs

Khaki?

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279899 - 03/09/16 10:20 PM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: acropolis5]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Re the OP: Actually, it's not much of a surprise to me. It's really a rollback to the norm of history, before super-intensive urbanization. When my father, and his father, and his father before him, pioneers on the land, put on their pants in the morning, they put on their "EDC" -- pocket knife, matches, pliers, and a short length of twine. These were the tools they used constantly in the business of making a living off the land.

Despite all the eye-rolling pretense of hipster look-at-me-ism, there's a basic undercurrent that rings true for me: young people looking at a fragmented economy and an uncertain world are uneasy at their utter dependence on systems they have no control over. A lot of them, with beards or without, are trying to assert some small, tangible, hands-on control over the basics of staying alive. Even if it is substantially symbolic, in the broad picture, this is a good, healthy thing IMHO. Fearful, helpless people are much more at risk of doing fearful, desperate things. This is, to some degree, the antidote.

#279902 - 03/10/16 02:38 AM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: dougwalkabout]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout

Despite all the eye-rolling pretense of hipster look-at-me-ism, there's a basic undercurrent that rings true for me: young people looking at a fragmented economy and an uncertain world are uneasy at their utter dependence on systems they have no control over. A lot of them, with beards or without, are trying to assert some small, tangible, hands-on control over the basics of staying alive. Even if it is substantially symbolic, in the broad picture, this is a good, healthy thing IMHO.

Now that you mention it, the typical late teen to mid twenties hipster's formative years included the Great Recession, 9/11, and Hurricane Katrina. It's not unexpected that as they gain control over their lives, a tendency toward self reliance and preparedness will appear.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279904 - 03/10/16 05:37 AM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: acropolis5]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

I like your analysis, dougwalkabout!

In addition to a distrust of a system that has come to appear vulnerable, I wonder whether some of the EDC phenomenon has to do with social media. Before the age of the internet, there just wasn't such an easy way for exchanging information on what gears to carry, how to carry, what to use them for, etc. Now with forums such as this, web sites that will get you obscure fire starting tools, "tactical" vendors, Instagram, etc., emergency prep has joined forces with consumer culture. Some people just want to buy a bunch of stuff so they feel "prepared." But some people just want to buy a bunch of stuff, and the internet gives them the world on a platter.

#279905 - 03/10/16 08:53 AM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: Bingley]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: Bingley
emergency prep has joined forces with consumer culture. Some people just want to buy a bunch of stuff so they feel "prepared." But some people just want to buy a bunch of stuff, and the internet gives them the world on a platter.

When I look at forums, I can certainly see the consumer culture going on there. Raving which model/item is the best, then replace it with next years model, because it's beter. Which I find interesting; especially when they are finacially strungling, but still need to buy the latest and greatest. Which is like the opposite of financial prepardness.

#279908 - 03/10/16 01:46 PM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: Tjin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Financial preparedness is something everyone should look at seriously. When the current bubble breaks everyone who isn't ready will be caught up and it will get ugly fast; there is no SAR.

Unfortunately, the subject of financial preparedness can easily go political very quickly, it's the nature of finance in a time of government bail-outs. But what if there is a crash and there is no bail-out? All you can do is look at your personal situation realistically and develop contingency plans accordingly.
How secure is your job and paycheck?
Are your retirement funds dependent on the health of the stock market(s)?
How much cash can you afford to hold outside the bank?

I saw a chart yesterday that indicated the next market crash has already started; it was fairly compelling based on previous crashes showing an identical pattern. It will take time to fall but not as long as it took to rise. What I'm reading/hearing is "sell the rallies".

No issue here, I'm not in the stock market at all, that chart reaffirmed my decision from years ago.

FWIW, YMMV, This is not financial advise, I only know what some other financial expert writes; those guys are wrong a lot.

#279909 - 03/10/16 02:08 PM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: acropolis5]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

There needs to be an healthy balance of preparedness: knowledge/training, community/friends, equipment, mental, physical and financially.

Having lots of stuff is not much help, if your house and car gets repossessed. I read about people who spend lots of money on things in case 'shtf', but are unable to cope with missing a pay check. Getting kicked out of the house is something that seems more likely to me.

Besides I checked the evaluation of large scale evacuations in my country. Most people skip government shelters and just book a vacation or stay with friend/family. Having money to travel and pay for your stay can be the easiest and most comfortable option in an emergency. besides having a good emergency fund makes life a lot more stress free. Be able to get fired, have mayor expenses and not financially care too much about is just great in keeping yourself stress free.

Edited by Tjin (03/10/16 02:31 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#279910 - 03/10/16 02:23 PM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: acropolis5]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What is the internet coming to?? sensible, reasonable statements?? C'mon guys, let's get back to ranting about which is better when SHTF -.223 or 5.56?

Tjin's comments about use of established shelters is correct in our local experience with EQ's. If we must leave, we plan to stay with relatives....

#279911 - 03/10/16 02:31 PM Re: "The Politics of Preparedness" in the NYT [Re: hikermor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: hikermor
let's get back to ranting about which is better when SHTF -.223 or 5.56?

Psshh... it's the same wink

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.