Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279723 - 02/24/16 06:59 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: Bingley]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
You have to remember that these SAA revolvers are single action. Meaning the trigger only releases the hammer, but does not cock it (you do that manually). There is nothing "long and heavy" about a single action revolver trigger.

People who have not shot one, and are expecting a trigger like on a Glock or something, are usually rudely awakened by a premature discharge. Hopefully they practice good muzzle control and have the gun pointed in a safe direction, and the person who handed them the gun told them in advance. Some may call these "hair triggers" (they aren't really, but compared to a semi-auto typical trigger, they are much lighter). They are light, positive, with no takeup or stacking, and no grit (they trigger doesn't travel far enough for you to get a chance to feel any grit). At least that is the way my trigger is. And it's stock.

#279724 - 02/24/16 08:13 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: Bingley]
M_a_x Online   happy
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Bingley
Yeah, after I found out how slowly one reloads with a home setup, I did a quick calculation (how much is my time worth?) and decided just to stick with the cheaper factory ammo.

If you do not have specific goals for reloading, thatīs probably a wise decision.
I have a fine hunting rifle that produces 8" groups at 100m with both remaining factory loads. My hand loads cut that down to 1/2" groups.
For my handguns I use bullets that donīt foul my barrels. Factory loads are not available with those bullets.
.45 Colt ammo is often sold out around here. Reloading makes it possible to have a reliable ammo source.

So for those who are saying the El Padron or the Cattleman has a great trigger, just how good is it?

The Cattleman revolvers I shot had a smooth consistent pull with a little creep. The actual trigger pull varies between samples. The El Patron has a smooth pull and breaks without noticable creep. There is very little variation in the trigger pull between samples. Itīs as good as good target pistol.

I often hear that every revolver needs to be taken to a gunsmith upon purchase to smooth out the trigger. With the extra expenses and the enormous wait time, who'd even choose a revolver over a semi-auto these days? But if these revolvers are as good as semi-autos, then maybe?

The El Patron comes factory tuned. It is match ready out of the box and has a really nice checkered walnut grip for about 50€ more. There is no extra waiting time either.
The choice is not about the best gun for self defense. CAS is a shooting sport with gun technology from the late 19th century. There are even categories for muzzle loading revolvers. The rules do not allow semi-autos. Itīs a bit about nostalgia and mastering those guns. I do not claim that the choice to participate in that sport was a rational one.

#279728 - 02/24/16 09:29 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: M_a_x]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Hahaha! Reloading never saved me any money, it lets me shoot five to ten times more for the same money! grin

#279732 - 02/25/16 02:03 AM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: M_a_x]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Thanks, Max. Cowboy action looks like a lot of fun to me, actually. I just don't have all the time in the world...

#279733 - 02/25/16 02:53 AM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: M_a_x]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Sounds like you have it figured out all the way around!

I enjoy the reloading as much as the shooting. Sometimes I have to go shoot so I can try out the reloads or even so i have something to load.

8 inches down to 1/2" is what it is all about.

#279739 - 02/25/16 01:49 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: M_a_x]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
reloading helps support re-cycling smile 164# of 9mm brass

#279740 - 02/25/16 02:05 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1 Reloading is in itself a great pastime!

#279741 - 02/25/16 03:06 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: haertig]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: haertig
You have to remember that these SAA revolvers are single action. Meaning the trigger only releases the hammer, but does not cock it (you do that manually). There is nothing "long and heavy" about a single action revolver trigger.

People who have not shot one, and are expecting a trigger like on a Glock or something, are usually rudely awakened by a premature discharge. Hopefully they practice good muzzle control and have the gun pointed in a safe direction, and the person who handed them the gun told them in advance. Some may call these "hair triggers" (they aren't really, but compared to a semi-auto typical trigger, they are much lighter). They are light, positive, with no takeup or stacking, and no grit (they trigger doesn't travel far enough for you to get a chance to feel any grit). At least that is the way my trigger is. And it's stock.

My experience exactly. Modern semi-auto handguns can be shot much faster and have a superior magazine capacity... But in terms of sheer pleasure they just don't compare to a good old SAA. Also, the light, crisp trigger helps enormously with accuracy. The best groups I've ever obtained with a fullbore hand gun were shot with a single-action S&W.

#279742 - 02/25/16 03:20 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: Tom_L]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
A single action S&W or a S&W DA shooting SA? One of the best target pistols I have is a S&W Mod 19 which has an very light (but safe) SA trigger and full target sights on a 6" bbl. It's a .357 Mag revolver and only ever shoots .38 Spl target loads.

#279744 - 02/25/16 06:44 PM Re: Equipped for CAS - new tools from Uberti [Re: M_a_x]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

It was the S&W Model 3 "Russian", a repro by Uberti in fact. It was actually the only time I shot that gun (borrowed it at the range) but it just "clicked" with me I guess. The ergonomics are great, In general I find those big old-school six shooters much easier to shoot with accuracy than modern off-the-shelf semi-autos.

However, now that you mention it, I've also done some great shooting with various DA S&W models on SA. And one particular Taurus in .357. Can't remember the model though - it had a heavy 6" barrel and a custom trigger job. That thing was sweet to shoot. And I absolutely agree about .38 Special target loads. Much more pleasant than .357 and dead accurate.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.