The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#279614 - 02/20/16 01:03 AM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Interesting knife - it looks like the blade shape and dimensions are very similar to the Bushcraft Black. If so then it may fit my existing custom kydex sheath for the BB. The Garberg comes with a choice of plastic or leather sheaths.

I'm not familiar with the stainless steel - Sandvik 14C28N, anybody elese know anything about it?

I'm not sure why people are so bummed out about the price... perhaps because Moras have traditionally been very cheap and they can't get past the idea of a higher priced Mora? Take a look at the cost of any other "survival" or "bushcraft" knives out there and even $99 isn't unreasonable. It depends on the steel qualities, IMHO as for whether it is worth it or not. If they made it out of 1095, it probably would have been a fair bit cheaper. An Ontario Rat-5 sells for $75 on Amazon so one might consider the Garberg to be $10 too high - time will tell.

I know DC is high on the Bushcraft Black as a great 2nd knife but not as the main knife that you could bet your life on. I find it interesting that he has endorsed this new knife as 1-tool option. He has said in the past that his preferred knife be at least a 5" blade, non-coated, high carbon steel like 1095, full tang and either a Scandi or flat grind. Has he relaxed his preferences because of an endorsement deal?

#279616 - 02/20/16 02:22 AM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Roarmeister]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Roarmeister
I'm not familiar with the stainless steel - Sandvik 14C28N, anybody elese know anything about it?

See cliff stamp blade_materials

There is even a thread on this knife in the forum New Full Tang MORA "Garberg"

#279618 - 02/20/16 09:30 AM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
It looks interesting IMO. When you see how much knife you get for $20 you can't help but wonder how great it might be for five times that price. I love Mora knives!

#279619 - 02/20/16 11:00 AM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Why do people think you need a knife costing hundred of dollars? The basic $15 moras do everything you need in bushcraft so what is the advantage of the pricier ones?

qjs

#279623 - 02/20/16 02:26 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: quick_joey_small]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
They look cool. After all, our ancestors used knives that were not some X95cr23 kind of wondersteel and still managed to gut the deer and slice the bacon. Before that flint and chert were king, actually with even sharper edges than you can achieve with steel - the down side was that the sharp edge degraded quite rapidly. If they would have possessed the internet back then, they would have debated flint sources in the same way we contrast various super steels.

If I had to restrict myself to one blade, it would probably be a Mora or similar.

#279626 - 02/20/16 08:06 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Phaedrus]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
It looks interesting IMO. When you see how much knife you get for $20 you can't help but wonder how great it might be for five times that price. I love Mora knives!

smile you get less knife and more prybar

#279627 - 02/20/16 08:17 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: quick_joey_small]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
Why do people think you need a knife costing hundred of dollars? The basic $15 moras do everything you need in bushcraft so what is the advantage of the pricier ones?

I have a small collection of knives in the sub-$200 range, including one Mora and a few others in the same price range. The ones I like and use the most tend to get sharper and stay sharper than the less expensive ones. They tend to have better ergonomics and better edge-holding than basic Moras.

I'm not anti-Mora at all -- they're good blades and many are phenomenal for the price. However, since I can afford a knife that is qualitatively better, that's what I use.

#279628 - 02/20/16 09:53 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: Dagny]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

As has been discussed before, I am very tough on knives. To me they are tools, not decorations. As Chaosmagnet says, they must work, last, hold an edge, and not be too hard to sharpen. I have broken military issue K-Bars like they were nothing. If you are only using the knife to cut and skin, the Mora is great.

I do have to confess to owning a few hand made knives that did cost a lot, but they are used and they are all great, durable knives. Most of them were also made by friends of mine that I served with, so there is also a personal connection.

#279629 - 02/20/16 10:53 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: gonewiththewind]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
OK, Montanero, I have to ask - just what kind of task breaks a Kabar or similar tough, durable knife? I have mostly used mine for fairly knife-like tasks, like cutting and skinning. I imagine that in some of the situations you have seen, you have had opportunity to really stress blades.

War stories, please.....Inquiring minds want to know.

#279630 - 02/20/16 11:44 PM Re: Morakniv Garberg [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I recall a thread on Bladeforums long time back re a Cold Steel Recon (?) which failed at the stress riser (that 90 deg angle at the hilt between the blade and tang). The gent was batoning in cold weather IIRC -- probably bad technique.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 40 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
Yesterday at 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.