Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#279585 - 02/18/16 08:36 PM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: bacpacjac]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Very cool trap indeed! In the field, however, all you need to do is to cut the top off and bury the bottle with the bite into the ground vertically to the rim. Small critters cannot climb back up the smooth wall.

For the string procurement I'd prefer this "device":

But I'm always having some screws/nuts/washers and wood screws as well in my kits - too versatile not to.

#279586 - 02/18/16 09:06 PM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

My hubby is addicted to Diet Coke, so we get a couple of 2L bottles every week, which I use for water storage. 3L sounds so much better, so I'm going to go looking for those. Thanks for the tip, guys~!

Club soda addiction here. Cold, fizzy, and doesn't dissolve my enamel like regular colas.

On the subject of both 2 liter bottles and morale: 2 liter bottles are rated between 50 and 100 psi. I suggest water bottle rockets and alcohol vapor rockets (OK, more of a soda bottle mortar). I know it's childish, but for off-grid / grid-down family fun, it beats trying to teach the kids to play poker.

https://youtu.be/0qzOzjRJpaU
https://youtu.be/wuz0curb_hg

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279587 - 02/18/16 09:43 PM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Making string from PET is interesting. What is the tensile strength of a typical (4mm or so) strand?

Probably not a good way to acquire a dynamic climbing rope - but for other uses....

#279594 - 02/18/16 11:32 PM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: hikermor
What is the tensile strength of a typical (4mm or so) strand?

It's polyester, which I found measured around 138 MPa for the thin film: http://www.shimadzu.com/an/industry/petrochemicalchemical/i206.html
That's the same as for cast iron, or bone.

Quite strong if made without nicks (takes practice). Most importantly it's hot-shrinkable. So you can make very tight joints with it (i.e. for the shelter building). See some proof (and another DIY tool guide) here (in Russian, but you can just turn off the sound for clarity, oh, he's made English subtitles already):

and here

#279596 - 02/19/16 12:24 AM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Very interesting and potentially useful. But I do have a very elementary question - just what is an MPa? i rather imagine 138 MPa is stronger than 20 MPa, but probably not as good as 50,000 MPa. Cast iron and bone are not what I think of as having particularly notable tensile strength (at least the old bones with which I deal).

Heat shrinking sounds interesting. I wonder how many strands of this cordage I would need to plait together in order to get a rope that would meet UIAA specs?

#279597 - 02/19/16 12:40 AM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: bacpacjac]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Little critter trap

Or this variety - the self resetting mouse trap:

#279598 - 02/19/16 12:54 AM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

what is an MPa?

It's all here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pascal_(unit) smile

For the UIAA specs rope, I think, just get it's TS, divide by the 138, multiply by the cut surface of the sample tested above divided by your bottle strand's cut surface, and then multiply by 2 the resulting number of strands required just in case smile Should be a safe estimate, as you most likely will intertwine all the bands which makes the total TS better.

#279599 - 02/19/16 12:57 AM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: hikermor]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
But I do have a very elementary question - just what is an MPa?

It's based on the Pascal -- a unit measuring force on a defined area, the equivalent of pounds per square inch (psi). In wasn't aware it was used to measure tensile strength, but upon reflection it makes sense. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_tensile_strength

Heat shrinking sounds interesting.

+1. How much does it shrink? The stuff is everywhere. Contemplating the possible field uses now (cue sound of gears whirring and clanking in Babbage difference engine). Processing, processing ...

#279600 - 02/19/16 01:03 AM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: dougwalkabout]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
How much does it shrink?

Not much f.w.i.w., but watch the second video, it shows exactly what you want - tools handles wrapping, looks promising. So far I used it just a couple of times to secure my DIY wet paper press ends - works as a disposable clamp better than paracord.

#279601 - 02/19/16 01:12 AM Re: Uses for 2 litre plastic bottles [Re: haertig]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Originally Posted By: haertig
Little critter trap

Or this variety - the self resetting mouse trap:

I've used those, based on a hint from this forum. They work. The plastic bottle seems more efficient than the beer can I used. In freezing climates, an inch or two of used motor oil at the bottom dispatches them quickly, and there is no smell. But live catch is also possible. I'm happy to report that I've never been that hungry.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.