Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#279457 - 02/10/16 11:28 PM Prepper article on MSN
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm not sure if this is good or bad that the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. candidates are using doomsday scenarios in their rhetoric. It may move prepping more mainstream, or it may get us written off as "right wing, <insert favorite stereotypes here>, nutters". Either way, it's worth mentioning.

Quote:
In the PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. presidential debate last Saturday, Ted Cruz laid out a dark scenario to demonstrate the need for a beefed-up missile defence system – the same one Rick Santorum and Ben Carson had raised before him in earlier debates. He said that North Korea was working on a satellite, which could spell doom for America:

“As it would orbit around the Earth, and as it got over the United States, they would detonate that nuclear weapon and set off what’s called an EMP, an electromagnetic pulse which could take down the entire electrical grid on the Eastern seaboard, potentially killing millions.”

-What preppers and survivalists tell us about America's apocalyptic readiness

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/what-pr...ness/ar-BBpmeXx

Edited for trying to get around the censoring software.

Edited by Blast (02/12/16 01:38 AM)

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279459 - 02/11/16 12:36 AM Re: Prepper article on MSN [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
One of the best features of ETS is its apolitical nature - just a legitimate concentration on preparation for life'reasonably predictable emergencies. Years ago, I began my career working at a fairly isolated location - Wupatki National Monument (about fifty miles N of Flagstaff, AZ). It made a lot of sense to keep extra groceries, etc. on hand and be ready for relative isolation, perhaps with park visitors to care for. My boss was Mormon and I understood he kept a year's supply of food on hand - seemed like a good idea. I simply got into the habit of being ready to stand alone for a fairly reasonable length of time (at one point in my life I was 100 miles from the nearest grocery store). Even now in town, when there is a very good store about two miles away, i am sure we could go for at least a month with what is stored in our pantry.

I simply reject the political, extreme points of view that often appear on "survivalist" forums. The model they often propose is not really realistic and is frequently historically inaccurate. Of course, there is money to be made by selling all the necessary items, so the flames are fanned regularly.

#279509 - 02/13/16 11:25 PM Re: Prepper article on MSN [Re: Mark_R]
ki4buc Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Augusta, GA
Using an "all hazards" approach will make it less likely to have a political reason. It doesn't really look at the likelihood of a specific event, but the likelihood of common types of hazards. In this case the loss of electricity is the hazard and the cascading effect would still occur no matter if it is man-made or natural disasters. Having a plan for no electricity will get you further than thinking about some low-probability high-impact event. Plus, if you know enough about the low-probability high-impact event you can break it down into it's associated secondary hazards and ask about that. BTW, this is the modern approach to Emergency Management.

The first thing you have to decide is what you will specifically plan for. Low-probability high-impact events are NOT in my plan. Why? Because it's likely there are too many variables for me to plan for, but I can plan for the basics: Shelter, Water, and Food.

#279513 - 02/14/16 04:25 PM Re: Prepper article on MSN [Re: Mark_R]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
It is always sensible to prepare for disaster, whether natural or man made.
An EMP attack is not IMHO that likely, but it COULD happen and most of the preps would be useful for other disasters also, so prudent to prepare.
I doubt that the colour of the party in charge at the time would much influence either the risk of such an attack occurring, nor the severity of the consequences.

It does however speak volumes that politicians are even speaking about such subjects, rather than the traditional "vote for me and everything will be just fine"

Likewise, one should not IMHO speculate overmuch on from where such an attack might come, concentrating instead on mitigating the consequences if it does come.

I recommend the novel "one second after" for a fictional but in my view believable account of an attack and the grave consequences thereof.

#279559 - 02/16/16 10:40 PM Re: Prepper article on MSN [Re: Mark_R]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Look at how much time, money, and energy you have for prepping. Assess your risks. Prep for the more likely disasters first. If you have resources left over for prepping for EMP, why not. As for me, I've got a whole list of things that are much more likely to happen, that my budget doesn't permit me to prepare for. For instance, if I get stuck on the toilet seat So I put prepping for EMP in the same bucket as prepping for an alien invasion. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

#279562 - 02/17/16 08:45 PM Re: Prepper article on MSN [Re: adam2]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: adam2
It does however speak volumes that politicians are even speaking about such subjects, rather than the traditional "vote for me and everything will be just fine"

Good volumes or bad volumes? Granted, fear is a time honored technique for public opinion campaigns. Vote for me because the other guy will "A)Damage the economy, B)Take away your rights, or C)Is beholden to special interests whose will harm you" is typical campaign rhetoric. Saying we're going to get hit by a WMD sounds more like a justification for an invasion then an election campaign.

Originally Posted By: adam2

I recommend the novel "one second after" for a fictional but in my view believable account of an attack and the grave consequences thereof.

I'm reading it. "Lord of the Flies" meets the 1977 New York Blackout as written by Kafka. I've got some technical issues with it, but I can't poke much more then pencil holes in the author's reasoning of the societal consequences. Generally speaking, a nuke a couple of hundred miles up would have lit up the entire sky over the US, and some distance over the horizon, for several minutes (Starfish Prime tests in the 1962). There would have been no doubt about what just happened.

Originally Posted By: Bingley
Look at how much time, money, and energy you have for prepping. Assess your risks.....I put prepping for EMP in the same bucket as prepping for an alien invasion. Maybe I'll get around to it one day.

I might put the computer backups in an ESD bag instead of the Ziplock bag they're currently in, but that's the extent of it. The probability of CONUS wide EMPs are so low that you could almost place it in with Black Swan events. Static electricity discharges on the other hand...

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 474 Guests and 15 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.