Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#279450 - 02/10/16 06:37 PM Water Bottle that will fill itself
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Smithsonian Magazine outlined a new product that is undergoing production

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news...0957986/?no-ist

In short, a water bottle that can pull water out of air- NOT CHEAP- looks like over 100.00, but interesting.

#279451 - 02/10/16 07:03 PM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: LCranston]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Nifty! Well worth following progress on this. $100 is not at all expensive when you are really, really thirsty..

The bike model ought to work like a charm. No doubt it could be mounted on a larger vehicle as well.

#279452 - 02/10/16 07:23 PM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: LCranston]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Great find indeed! The idea is not new, or anything close to efficiency, especially for places lacking water in general (80-90% humidity air?), but the portability is great, as well as the possibility of effortless water desalination/purification potential on the go (the Sun has already done half of the work necessary for that). I will definitely going to try rigging the peltier I have for improvisations that way and see how efficient could it be, lets say, while driving along the ocean.

#279453 - 02/10/16 08:43 PM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: LCranston]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I will follow this closely as well. The science sounds good, but the volume is surprising. I look forward to testing it.

#279456 - 02/10/16 10:55 PM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: LCranston]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Actually, I'm not impressed by the portable version. More interesting to me is the possibility/feasibility of scaling it up (a lot) to provide fresh water that many of the villages and villagers in developing nations need instead of the polluted and disease infested water they are forced to use.

I'm thinking of the many villages in the tropics that have no access to clean water. A fixed installation might be able to produce significant amounts of potable and (relatively) safe water day in and day out. A "well" that produces water from the tropical air. . .how many lives would it save?

#279460 - 02/11/16 01:20 AM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: bws48]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: bws48
Actually, I'm not impressed by the portable version. More interesting to me is the possibility/feasibility of scaling it up (a lot) to provide fresh water that many of the villages and villagers in developing nations need instead of the polluted and disease infested water they are forced to use.

I'm thinking of the many villages in the tropics that have no access to clean water. A fixed installation might be able to produce significant amounts of potable and (relatively) safe water day in and day out. A "well" that produces water from the tropical air. . .how many lives would it save?

From what I've read, it doesn't scale and TEG's are too expensive.
Its much much much cheaper to treat/filter/purify water than it is to condense it.
Similarly its cheaper to transport the water than condense it.
Similarly, its cheaper to capture fog than condense water.

So, I'll be watching the development of this as well, but, I don't expect miracles smile

#279465 - 02/11/16 04:06 AM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: LCranston]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very cool! From the moisture farms of Tatooine to your campsite! grin

#279469 - 02/11/16 04:47 PM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
"Similarly, its cheaper to capture fog than condense water."

In reading this thread, I recalled some experiments involving upright window screen racks and blowing fog - they yielded copious amounts of water. This works fine along foggy areas, like the SoCal coast, but not necessarily everywhere.

An even lower tech version would be to sponge the moisture off of cloud forest vegetation, probably with vegetative added nutrients!

#279472 - 02/11/16 05:36 PM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: hikermor]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Military has full scale Atmospheric Water generators, if you want to spend thousands.

I have actually toyed with the idea of using a dehumidifier as a low tech, redneck water generator-- biggest issue is the large amount of power they take. The whole point of plug in dehumidifier is to pull water from the air.

k, NOW I am going to spend the next half hour looking for 12 volt RV dehumidifiers to see if this could be done via solar?

I wonder if you could ""supplement"" the humidity using local plants..

#279474 - 02/11/16 05:52 PM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: LCranston]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
At least in south Lousy-anna, we dig a hole 2-3ft deep & just gather water as it seeps in from the ground. We strain it and purify it before we use it. I have about 4 different ways to purify it.

#280777 - 05/26/16 08:08 AM Re: Water Bottle that will fill itself [Re: LCranston]
WesleyH Offline

Loc: Unknown
This piece of "vaporware?" if you will. . will never work. It has been pretty thoughouly busted here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPvXnmBIO7o

Thermodynamically, it is not possible. Especially if you are in a dry area. .

Watch the video. . it's worth the effort.

Wesley Horton

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 413 Guests and 59 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Today at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.