Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#279367 - 02/05/16 01:49 AM Local Medivac survival kit
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
It dawned on me one day that the MEDIVAC chopper in the bay of the building I'm stationed at may allow me to get some hands on with some 'survival stuff'.

The aircrew (all known to me) surprised me by saying that the FAA doesn't require them to have a 'PSK'. Their flights are occasionally over water and they comply with all the FAA requirements.... But the PSK.....Here's their list....

Signal mirror
Compass
Striker
Food (emergency ration)
Fishing kit
2 AAA batteries
Hatchet
Yellow strap and hook
Multi purpose pocket tool
Rescue blanket
2 Drinking water
Plastic canteen
Flashlight
Knife
Whistle
Bug repellent wipes
Signal flare

FAK:
Aspirin
Tylenol
Bandaids
2- 2x2 sterile gauze
Butterfly wound closures
Gloves
1/2 in tape
Antibiotic ointment
Antibiotic wipes
Trauma pad.

This is just the kit on the bird. It doesn't include personal EDC stuff.

I am looking forward to seeing it. They just cracked it open (every 3 months) to check. I'll get to see it at next inspection if I'm lucky. Can't wait to see the quality.

#279373 - 02/05/16 01:12 PM Re: Local Medivac survival kit [Re: CJK]
barbarian Offline
Journeyman

Loc: USA
I notice a curious lack of water puro. They have included a fishing kit to acquire food, but nothing for additional potable water? That (IMO) is vital anywhere, but especially in an environment such as Florida's.

#279374 - 02/05/16 03:37 PM Re: Local Medivac survival kit [Re: CJK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Looks like a standard cookie-cutter survival kit. A med-evac helo will not be missed for long and when they are missed the cavalry will be out in force. Assuming an 406MHz ELT is part of the helo's equipment and is activated, they need water, blankets and signaling gear (mirrors, whistles). The pilots should both have personal survival gear in the form of PLB's, signal mirrors, flashlights, etc. Being a MED-evac helo, they should be heavy on First Aid and be able to access additional FA "stuff" from their passengers.

I do not understand food and a fishing kit; is that an FAA requirement or just something they have because "every" survival kit needs food and a fishing kit?

Something to consider would be some form of lighting (strobes/beacons) to designate an LZ for a responding (back-up) helo. If they have an emergency off-field landing (not necessarily an uncontrolled crash) and a second helo responds to pick up their passengers and continue, they should have some way of designating a safe LZ, so there is no time wasted.

#279377 - 02/05/16 04:10 PM Re: Local Medivac survival kit [Re: CJK]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
Not much shelter there. Some medi-vac choppers carry floorless tents that can be set up over victims without moving them. They would also be useful in a PSK.

#279439 - 02/09/16 05:28 PM Re: Local Medivac survival kit [Re: CJK]
CJK Offline
Addict

The crew tell me that 'there isn't any FAA requirement for a survival kit' so I would assume that the fishing kit/food stuff like everything else in it, is 'personal choice'. Now I haven't found out 'whose' personal choice it is...... I don't know who decided to 'make the kit' or why certain items were chosen to be in it. I'm looking forward to actually 'laying hands on' when they open in a few months for inspection. I'd like to see the quality. I have more questions.

Point made is true. past several years had a medivac go down. Local crews (EMS, FD, PD and PD Aviation) were ALL OVER IT IMMEDIATELY. Crew wasn't in the water long and all were dry pretty quick, But I agree more attention should be paid to water (drinking).

#279444 - 02/10/16 01:48 AM Re: Local Medivac survival kit [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Two canteens are listed. They should be filled with H2O, if they are to be useful at all

#279501 - 02/13/16 04:31 PM Re: Local Medivac survival kit [Re: CJK]
CJK Offline
Addict

Actually only one canteen is listed. It list '2' waters.....I'm still waiting to see it myself..... I applaud their thoughts on being 'pro-active' on having the kit without a specific requirement for it but.... don't know how thoughtful they were in the contents or their reasoning behind them.

#279503 - 02/13/16 05:39 PM Re: Local Medivac survival kit [Re: CJK]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
oops! my bad - mirror is listed!

Edited by hikermor (02/13/16 05:40 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.