Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#279412 - 02/08/16 12:02 AM No Money, No Internet!
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Cash money is so unfashionable today, the Banks hate the stuff so much they are calling to ban the promise the pay the bearer.
Last week the largest ISP in the UK (British Telecom) stopped working for 2 Hrs. Many businesses are still dealing with the consequences 5 days later. You would be surprised how many SME's rely on Credit Card/Payment cards connected to very basic home grade router some even using wireless with the most basic (i.e basically none) security encryption.
You will be surprised how many businesses would have factory reset those routers during that 2 hour down time.

The day when an EMP or a simple fat pipe network attack and no money will lead to utter chaos. How long now?

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (02/08/16 12:04 AM)

#279417 - 02/08/16 12:23 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Good thing that there are still small business that do not require everything to be computerized and tracked, so they can remain open during a power outage and take cash.

Then again, I think people should have enough supplies to not need to buy things for a few days.

#279420 - 02/08/16 05:29 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
There's currently a suggestion to ban Ģ50 notes, on the grounds that they are only used for large cash transactions to evade tax.

#279432 - 02/09/16 02:39 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: Brangdon]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Itīll be very convient as a first step to ban cash entirely. Thatīll make withdrawing your money more difficult when substantial negative interest rates are introduced.

#279433 - 02/09/16 03:13 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: M_a_x]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
That's the point of banning cash -- trap beople in banks and plastic/credit cards. No cash, no need for ATM's and limited options to take your cash/currency out of the bank. Have German banks turned to negative interest rates yet?

This topic could turn political very quickly.

#279434 - 02/09/16 03:43 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: Russ]
Russ Offline
Geezer

For a more eloquent view -- You Are Watching It!
Quote:
..."Your only job, if you understand what is happening is to be prepared. Be prepared to the best of your ability, being just one second too late might as well mean forever!"...

#279443 - 02/09/16 08:31 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: Russ]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
The interest rates from German banks are not negative yet. They are not far in positve though. And some people propose to limit the amount of cash that can be used for a single payment.
It is no mistake to make some preparations for it just in case. Maybe boullion coins and a knife may have a comeback (in times far back they would cut pieces off of coins instead of fiddling with small change).
Letīs do our best to avoid to let the topic turn political. It has some preparation oriented aspects to it.

#279447 - 02/10/16 07:48 AM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: M_a_x]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
It would seem foolish to give up what control they currently have. A lot of people like me would simply use other forms of valued items directly, thereby bypassing any etf system altogether. I can already buy eggs, produce, and fuel with junk silver any time I want.

Getting paid by my current employer in something other than etf would be a serious issue. I suspect I would have to go into business for myself under the radar if I wanted to avoid the conversion issues.

#279449 - 02/10/16 03:40 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: benjammin]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Bob, I got a bad feeling on this one. -- interesting article. Included are four questions which are links to articles discussing the question. Some of these questions have already been discussed here, although maybe not in this focus.

I also have a bad feeling on this one and I really don't think we can be too prepared for what is coming. We (at least I) have no idea how bad it will be; I didn't live during the Great Depression or in Argentina. How would a world-wide depression manifest? Many (most?) past depressions ended in a war.

#279458 - 02/10/16 11:55 PM Re: No Money, No Internet! [Re: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I was thinking about one of the James Burke TV programs that examined the 1965 northeast blackout. Same thing, where a single error (incorrect breaker setting) brought down power to 80,000 square miles of real estate in two countries

By removing physical media (bank notes) altogether, every-freakin-thing is dependent on the data network. This is less then reassuring in view of the near weekly data breaches in the news.

EDIT: The power just went out here. Still have cell service

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 290 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.