Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#279386 - 02/05/16 07:16 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: TeacherRO]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I need a light that won't go on in my pack - some sort of safety switch.

Place a tab of paper inside the flashlight at the battery contacts. Easy to remove when you want to use it. I use this for long term storage of all my flashlights.

#279389 - 02/05/16 09:32 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Streamlight makes some very nice headlamps for not a lot of money.

#279390 - 02/05/16 10:07 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
Originally Posted By: sybert777
flashlights that have a single, high output.
... and I'm out. I'd want to be able to trade run-time against brightness. Also, I think 100L is pretty bright for most of my EDC uses. Indoors, 7L is usually more than adequate, and outdoors around 30L.

Quote:
The EDC Light, which I now know shall be smaller than I originally thought, shall be no longer than 5", with a body no bigger than .75" in diameter or cross-section. A flashlight of this size will easily accommodate 123A as well as AA size batteries. 200L seems like a reasonable output for a light of this size.
I think you're being unambitious here. I have a Zebralight SC600 Mk II L2 that is 4" by 1" and produces 1,100L. OK it's a bit wider, but also a bit shorter. Generally I think brightness should go by multiples of three: 0.3L, 1L, 3L, 10L, 30L, 100L, 300L, 1000L. To the human eye, 200L EDC isn't that much brighter than 100L keychain.

Over-all it sounds like you are very keen on tactical or combat-oriented lights. That's not for me.

#279394 - 02/06/16 01:59 AM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: Brangdon]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you are a LEO,then a tactical light, especially one that is extremely bright, might be just the ticket. I agree that for most "normal" purposes, run time beats brightness, especially over 200 lumens. YMMV, which is why there are so many models available.

I checked the other day, and I only have thirteen headlamps. That is an unlucky number, so I had better start shopping....

#279395 - 02/06/16 03:38 AM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: Brangdon]
sybert777 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: 62208
See my previous points about utilizing interchangeable tailcap electronics. Basically, each model would be a fully customizable flashlight that you get to build without having to purchase aftermarket parts for.

Also, the tactical tailcap would be the base model since it would be the cheapest and easiest to make. You could add any assortment of modes you desire.

Edited by sybert777 (02/06/16 03:47 AM)

#279407 - 02/07/16 12:56 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
I'm still amazed by the Doug Ritter lights; excellent. Only thing I'd like is a red beam option. A photon with that is on the way from the US.

For now I got from Wilko in the UK; their own head lamp with 2 bright white LEDs and a tiny red one. If you want to use as little light as possible the red one would be ideal since you won't lose your night sight.
Only £3 and I've found Wilko stuff decent quality.

How many lumens is the Doug Ritter light by the way?

qjs

#279408 - 02/07/16 05:01 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: quick_joey_small]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
For now I got from Wilko in the UK; their own head lamp with 2 bright white LEDs and a tiny red one. If you want to use as little light as possible the red one would be ideal since you won't lose your night sight.
Only £3 and I've found Wilko stuff decent quality.

This thread seems to be more about inventing a new tactical light, the one you can use for torchering an assailant smile as D.Ritter has already perfected in the peaceful pocket EDC department and the Petzl e+Light - in the head lamp's one.

Confirming, in the true darkness (no moon,no distant city lights reflecting from the clouds) I'm often using a piece of masking tape over the red LED of my Petzl e+Lite to avoid blinding myself when working in the close quarters.

By the way, could you provide a link to that Wilko headlamp? Can't seem to find it online from down here.

#279416 - 02/08/16 09:01 AM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
A 'tactical light' is not what the original question asked.

And what I meant by praising Dougs light, is that it has the features of a perfect light. One of those items that just keeps getting better. Even the clip is a world beater; I've stoppped losing things off my keyring.

Wilko headlamp:
http://www.wilko.com/camping-equipment-and-essentials/wilko-3-led-headtorch/invt/0408494

qjs

#284413 - 05/02/17 12:52 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: sybert777]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: sybert777

Sorry I'm all over the board here, but one point brings me to another. Price; I'm sure not all of us can afford to purchase Ti flashlights. I can't even afford to replace the Surefire I lost. frown

Raising an old thread from the dead just to say "I found a Streamlight flashlight!" Someone lost a ProTac 2L on a local and it's mine now. It didn't work at first but replacing the batteries fixed that. Came here to do a little research on the programmable settings, since I know you guys know your lights.

I've never had such an expensive light before, and probably wouldn't have ever bought one. Big difference from my standard DR micro photon, cheapo 3AAA LEDs and my old mini Mag. WOW! It's going to be EDC now.

And I have to tell you.... I get it now. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#284414 - 05/02/17 01:15 PM Re: I need tour ideas of the perfect flashlight! [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Goggle and see if there might be an on-line manual? Often there is...I am not familiar with that brand/model.....

Otherwise, just start punching buttons and write your own. Might take a while. Typically there are about three brightness levels and strobe/ flashing modes also available.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 95 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.