Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#278840 - 01/16/16 07:38 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: chaosmagnet]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Most of the time I have a concealment garment like a sportcoat, sweatshirt, or an untucked polo. Spare magazines for the Shield are small. Changing to a dual mag carrier is easy (although the one I have doesn't go on or off the belt as easily as the single mag carrier I've been using).

When the concealment holster comes for the Compact the weight of the full-size magazines may be an issue. We'll see.

Yeah, I suppose that wouldn't be so bad. I was thinking in terms of a double stack of the type I usually carry. My Beretta Nano is a single stack about the size of the Shield. Realistically it would be nice to carry two mags with that gun since it only holds 8 rounds.

#278841 - 01/16/16 02:03 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
The Shield mags are single-stack, the M&P Compact mags are dual-stack. The Compact is compatible with full-size M&P magazines, and magazine sleeves are available to improve the grip. When I carry the Compact it's always with at least one full-size spare magazine; I'm hoping that the new holster will conceal easily enough for me to carry it more often.

#278844 - 01/17/16 07:03 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I used to really like single stacks for CCW in the summer, particularly my Beretta Nano. I have considered picking up a Walther PPS, too. But my HK P2000 has pretty much lead me to putting the Nano in the drawer. The Nano is a little bit thinner but if you lay it on top of the P2000 they're virtually the same height and length. IMO it's the height of the gun (from the top of the rear of the slide down to the bottom of the mag floorplate) that dictates how easy a sidearm is to conceal, not really the thickness. There are a few circumstances where the thinner gun is a bit easier to conceal, especially in very hot weather, but for the most part they're about the same. But I feel a lot more confident in the HK carried 13+1 than the Beretta with its 8+1.

Sorry for the digression! I realize this isn't a gun forum but it's hard to discuss EDC without mentioning a sidearm, at least in my case.

#278989 - 01/24/16 11:11 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
I've upgraded my torch. My beloved Nitecore D10 has been replaced by a Zebralight SC5 Fw. Both single AA. I'm as ever impressed by how much more efficient the newer light is. It has a flood beam, no throw to speak of, which I think I prefer for my EDC use. I got fed up by being dazzled by a hot spot, or having a spill so weak as to be useless. The old light's brightness was continuously variable. The new one has discrete levels, which I prefer because it means I know what trade off of light for battery life I am making. It has a fairly complex user interface, which I'm now familiar with (one advantage of EDC is that it gets used frequently). The main actual drawback is that it tries to come on at full brightness when I want a dimmer setting.

#279034 - 01/25/16 09:21 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Because I do some repairs, I like a tiny headlamp - something the size of a cherry tomato. ( runs on 2 coin cell batteries)

#279043 - 01/25/16 10:22 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I lost yet another light & knife combo, so the current revision has a dog tag attached to it with my name and cell#. The thin steel of the dog tag is surprisingly usefull.

I also upgraded my light to the current generation Fenix E05. There's definitely something to be said about that 85 lumen burst mode on that not so proverbial "dark and stormy night".

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279047 - 01/25/16 11:22 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Mark_R]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I like the Fenix AAA lights for emergencies but with survival in mind I went with the very simple13 lumen Fenix E01. There's very little to malfunction in a single mode LED.

#279058 - 01/26/16 03:14 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Russ]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
I'm a fan of Fenix AA and AAA lights, although I have had one or two fail over the years. But they saw fairly hard service in my work as a firefighter/paramedic, and cost a lot less to replace than some other lights.

I particularly liked the Fenix white diffuser attachment and red traffic wand attachments in combination with the strobe mode, which worked, I believe, better than a traditional 2D traffic wand light, but was much lighter and less bulky, and easily slipped into a pocket.

Anybody got any suggestions for a super high lumen multiple AA powered spot and/or floodlight LED flashlight? I know there are a few out there, but I've ever actually laid hands on one.

#279059 - 01/26/16 04:12 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: JeffMc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you want super high lumens, I would go the 18650 route. I have done so, and I am pleased with the inherent higher capacity and the very reasonable size. I am using a Zebralite headlamp and a Nitecore P12.Comparable models are available from other sources, including Fenix. I still keep AA lights, primarily because the batteries are so common. More and more,I depend on my 18650s.

#279060 - 01/26/16 05:04 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: hikermor]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Thanks, but I want to stick with AAs, since that's what is most readily available on deployments and is what I've standardized on for all my emergency/survival related electronics.

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.