The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#279642 - 02/22/16 01:08 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: dweste]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
I've always thought the best cache would be a vehicle parked up. There's your transport, accomodation and storage. Long as it's serviceable it doesn't need to be expensive.
qjs

#279643 - 02/22/16 01:36 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: quick_joey_small]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
I've always thought the best cache would be a vehicle parked up. There's your transport, accomodation and storage. Long as it's serviceable it doesn't need to be expensive.

For short durations, this is exactly what I do. My car contains a comprehensive emergency kit in addition to its vehicular utility. Longer-term caching is less viable. Cars that are parked for long durations on urban streets are typically towed, and depending on where you park leaving it there could lead to your cache being burgled.

#279644 - 02/22/16 01:50 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: dweste]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I keep a camper stocked up and stored inside a garage (out of sight and the weather) in case we have to evacuate for a hurricane.

#279646 - 02/22/16 02:22 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
At least in SoCal, we don't worry much about hurricanes, but earthquakes are a different matter. I think that my dwelling might be inaccessible and its contents irretrievable after an EQ. Our vehicles are parked in the open and would more likely be accessible post EQ. I keep water, food, and very basic tools stocked inside. I think this will work whether we are staying home or decide to leave the premises for whatever reason.

#279665 - 02/22/16 10:51 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
At least in SoCal, we don't worry much about hurricanes, but earthquakes are a different matter. I think that my dwelling might be inaccessible and its contents irretrievable after an EQ. Our vehicles are parked in the open and would more likely be accessible post EQ. I keep water, food, and very basic tools stocked inside. I think this will work whether we are staying home or decide to leave the premises for whatever reason.

Garden storage bench / deck box with a combination lock? Not as much room as a storage shed, but considerably lower profile. I'm assuming it's a single family home, duplex, or town home where you can place stuff outside without the general public messing with it.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279677 - 02/23/16 02:34 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: Mark_R]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Following the recommendations of this site,and being fairly concerned about dealing with an earthquake, I have scattered several storage boxes about my place (don't put all your eggs in one basket!). I could imagine my dwelling being uninhabitable and dangerous to enter following an EQ

#279679 - 02/23/16 04:22 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
After a big EQ one of my first moves will be to attempt opening the garage door. If successful, the truck goes onto the street and I start packing. If unsuccessful by the usual means, then I try again using more forceful techniques. My dwelling will probably continue to function after, but having my truck on the street would be better.

#279681 - 02/23/16 04:44 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

My first plan after an EQ is to bug in. The transportation net may be a mess, and I will still have property and possessions to salvage and protect. With lots of climbing/camping gear, I can just set up shop in my back yard and start recovering.

The kicker is that fires often accompany EQs. That could easily trigger the bug out scenario. One must stay flexible and assess all the options.

#279683 - 02/23/16 04:57 PM Re: Urban Caching [Re: hikermor]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yep, another thing on the To-Do list is to turn off the gas. Then I'll probably make sure the neighbors gas is also off. An eventual evac is why the truck and SUV must be outside. After that then I too will be bugging-in the backyard.

#279699 - 02/24/16 12:28 AM Re: Urban Caching [Re: dweste]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
There are gas valves that will automatically close in a quake. They're not cheap, but in an earthquake vulnerable area, i.e. the Coachella Valley, it would be a good idea to retrofit your house with one.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.