Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279200 - 01/30/16 07:31 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
It's hard for me to think of a field of human endeavor where I would be patient with someone who wasn't willing to have his or her work checked. Where lives are on the line, like in climbing and aviation, a bad attitude about that would lead me to not participating.

#279228 - 01/31/16 02:08 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: bsmith]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: bsmith
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
The first rule of survival is to stay the [bleep] out of survival situations.
can i hear an Amen !

AMEN!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279242 - 01/31/16 08:41 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: chaosmagnet]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Unfortunately that bad attitude is very common. That attitude is fostered by some supervisors. I once had the pleasure of a talk with a supervisor for picking on a colleague when testing software. Somehow the bugs were the testerīs fault and it was not OK to point them out. We finally agreed that the colleague would no longer select me as a tester. That measure improved the projectīs quality statistics.
I managed to get assigned to other projects.
I think not putting lives into the hands of people who do not like their work checked is wise. Their performance often leaves a lot to be desired.

#279251 - 01/31/16 10:48 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: M_a_x]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Somehow the bugs were the testerīs fault and it was not OK to point them out.

I quit a job over something like that once.

#279725 - 02/24/16 09:10 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...and in case everything goes South, leave a detailed note to where you're going

#279753 - 02/26/16 12:07 AM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: M_a_x]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: M_a_x
Unfortunately that bad attitude is very common. That attitude is fostered by some supervisors. I once had the pleasure of a talk with a supervisor for picking on a colleague when testing software. Somehow the bugs were the testerīs fault and it was not OK to point them out. We finally agreed that the colleague would no longer select me as a tester. That measure improved the projectīs quality statistics.
I managed to get assigned to other projects.
I think not putting lives into the hands of people who do not like their work checked is wise. Their performance often leaves a lot to be desired.

When the company started deploying Microsoft Office 2010 I documented several major bugs and reported them back. A few days later I got a nasty e-mail back that where mine had been sent up through several management levels and I was told that there is not way it could have these problems when it had been tested by Microsoft and the company. I had the helpdesk roll me back to MS Office 2007 and used it for another year and then later found all my reported bugs and fixes listed in the first service pack for 2010.

#279754 - 02/26/16 12:16 AM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: TeacherRO]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
I'm boring. Fact based and slow to react -- most news stories are blips and most odd trends are meaningless. I get my info from multiple sources and wait for it to be verified.

Our planning is for likely events -- what happens every year and some of the 100 year events. As boring at it is, Fargo doesn't get hurricanes. (But it does get to sub-zero, often.)

Storing extra water and a spare jacket isn't as sexy as a custom rig or new EMP proof knife; but its likely far useful

Dull. Basics. Yep

teacher

Your more likely to suffer from a car accident or house fire than EMP or such anyway.
Keeping up with the day to day computer backups, keeping important papers in the safe, keep car keys with you, etc will be your preps.

#279756 - 02/26/16 01:00 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
...and in case everything goes South, leave a detailed note to where you're going

Better yet, tell someone responsible where you're going, when you plan to return, what your route is, when to call in the Calvary, etc. Pieces of paper have a sneaky habit of going missing or unobserved in a timely manner. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279772 - 02/27/16 03:56 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: bacpacjac]
unimogbert Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac

Better yet, tell someone responsible where you're going, when you plan to return, what your route is, when to call in the Calvary, etc. Pieces of paper have a sneaky habit of going missing or unobserved in a timely manner. wink

The complete answer is - Leave the detailed piece of paper with someone responsible and a time for when they should use it to call in the info to the authorities.

(My wife is my responsible person, I have a regular format for my day's plan that I leave with her when I go out on an adventure.)

#279777 - 02/28/16 03:34 PM Re: Boring realism in my planning [Re: TeacherRO]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Quote:
The complete answer is - Leave the detailed piece of paper with someone responsible and a time for when they should use it to call in the info to the authorities.

I would suggest that an email would be a better option (even to your wife). Paper gets misplaced and you don't always have it with you. Presumably one always carries their cellphone.

Of course, you could take the belt and suspenders approach and also print out the email. That way even with a power outage, and a dead phone battery, the info would still be available.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (chaosmagnet), 341 Guests and 64 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.