Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#278871 - 01/20/16 06:39 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
There is no breakaway integrated, as this is the last resort kit. I dont want to loose it by a sily accident. Also it is too short to catch on somethig. However, in the case I need to get rid of it real fast (choking), I can a) tear the rubber frame from the tag and cut the string with the blade without even removing it; b) just pull on the tag in the right direction (from behind) real hard, it should go off the lock along with the rod and free wire's ends, which should let go one of the string's ends off under the tension.

#278878 - 01/20/16 02:52 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If you take an abrupt, fast fall you won't have time to do anything before your neck is broken or traumatized (experience speaking here), so do what rock climbers do when carrying longish (24" or so)slings - place it around your neck and under one arm - readily accessible and the strangling hazard is essentially eliminated. Being right handed, I always looped slings under my left arm....

#278881 - 01/20/16 04:34 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
the longer length required for looping it under the arm would give you a useful bit of cord- 5 feet. You could braid it too for say 15 ft.

#278883 - 01/20/16 07:34 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: clearwater]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I haven't tried this, but if you take the "under arm" approach, you can probably pack more items comfortably than on a necklace. Something to work on....

#278887 - 01/21/16 07:08 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: hikermor
If you take an abrupt, fast fall you won't have time to do anything before your neck is broken or traumatized (experience speaking here)

Very true and something well worth keeping in mind.

#278922 - 01/21/16 10:21 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Tom_L]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Glad to see this thread is still relevant and generating discussion

Interesting idea on the sling style, might have to try something like that soon

for now, I'm still toting the beaded dog tag style neckchain around, with whistle, fenix e01, firesteel and pill fob attached. For edc it rides in my pocket, for outdoor adventures I untangle it and wear around my neck between base layer and outer layer. I've also experimented by adding key chains that snap apart to the fire steel and the whistle for easier removal when they need to be used (in hindsight I probably should have used one for the fenix rather than the whistle, but i think I have a few more lying around).

I have come to the conclusion that, at least for me, this is not a stand alone kit but rather an addition/supplement to other survival gear in my pack and/or pockets.

#278933 - 01/22/16 07:06 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
The "Under arm" solution sounds like a reasonable alternative to a breakaway, but I can see at least three problems with that: 1. The "pendant" will eventually slide under the armpit, creating an abrasion point and exposing the kit to much more moisture. 2. It will be heaver and have larger skin contact surface. 3. In a free fall situation it is still possible to get a deadly neck cut with it and it is more "catchy" as it is way longer.

I see the rock climbers concerns legit, however I don't plan to do any serious rock climbing with it, and I cannot imagine a situation in my daily life (remember that's EDC item) when such a short necklace under the shirt could catch on any stationary object around by an accident. The only possibility it can pose a threat I can see is if it could be grabbed in a fight. But that's still not even close to a free fall situation, so I'll have time to pull off the lock.

Update: I've just double checked, the thread I'm using is not #8 at all, it's V-138, so that's only 22 lbs tensile strength. Multiplied at 8 strands it's a bit less than my weight, so it will break for sure just under my body drag. So the answer is yes, I do have a breakaway integrated in it smile

Edited by Alex (01/22/16 07:35 PM)

#278985 - 01/24/16 05:34 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Recognizing as I do that whatever you want to carry is up to you, I don't understand the practicality of this kind of EDC, unless you work outdoors, in the wilderness. For example, why a firesteel instead of a bic lighter in your pocket?

#278987 - 01/24/16 06:36 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: tomfaranda]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
Porque no los dos?

But really, none of this is carved in stone. If you want to switch up or switch out for your preference and/or particular situation, well, that's everyone's prerogative I suppose.

For me, I seem to end up with the kitchen sink far more often than I'd like. Too easy to acquire, to hard to make a choice.

#279037 - 01/25/16 09:23 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

My contrary view: Nothing around my neck. Too annoying, too noisy and too little space. A cell phone case on the belt holds 5 times more.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 453 Guests and 10 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Zippo Butane Inserts
by NAro
Today at 11:57 AM
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.