Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#264141 - 10/09/13 07:52 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Very nice! I'm a big fan of orange, hard to lose and easy to spot. I have a couple of those orange Moras, too.

#264155 - 10/10/13 02:38 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Nice, though I prefer belt carry; easier to use, can carry more and not as 'dangly' if that is the right word.

#264161 - 10/10/13 05:09 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I like my knife around my neck so its handy and I always store it back in the sheath between uses
boreal.net

#264165 - 10/10/13 07:15 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I find neck carry to be handy while camping, at least while I'm hiking and setting up camp. Generally I tuck it inside my shirt while I'm not using it; that keeps the banging around to a minimum. A Mora works okay for neck carry but more often I use an ESEE Izula for that.

#266586 - 01/14/14 08:58 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I prefer tools on a pocket leash when canoeing or working in high places.

tro

#266598 - 01/15/14 03:47 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i don't know where this "fad" of carrying stuff around your neck came from but i carry everything in shirt pockets.i canoe and you have to lift the boat up onto your knees to flip it up on your shoulders.a Bic in a pants pocket hurts when it's pushed into a leg.
i don't even wear a watch on camping trips because i don't want to catch the band on a branch.i think the neck knives/stuff came by way of the fur trapper reenactors who wore a neck knife because the natives did that because they did not have a belt to carry a knife,or pants,or pockets to carry one.
try running with a bunch of stuff flapping around you neck.

#266641 - 01/17/14 07:50 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
I am still using the beaded neck chain, found a source for some stainless steel versions on e-bay that are holding up quite nicely. Whistle is still on it, and I have updated it somewhat by replacing the fauxton with a Fenix E01 in my favorite color, purple (will try to post some long promised pics maybe tonight after scouts). No affiliations, just very pleased with the Fenix. This light and whistle combo rides with me daily, not around the neck, but in my pocket. Go figure.

For wilderness carry, or other circumstances where I think the lighter I carry in my pocket everyday might need some back-up, I still have the pill fob stuffed with jute twine I can add to the necklace. After the recent matchless fire starting class I took, and seeing how nicely a piece of charcloth will take a spark and combine easily with the fluffed up jute twine to get a flame, I will be adding a piece or two of charcloth to the pill fob as well. I have also replaced the BSA hot spark with a full sized BSA fire steel.

I have found when I do wear it around my neck as intended, it is pretty comfortable for me to wear it between my under layer, which is usually a polyester undershirt, and whatever I happen to be wearing over that.

#266643 - 01/17/14 08:50 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: BruceZed]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
What about the Swedish Fire Knife by Light My Fire - basically the Mora knife with an integrated fire rod in the hilt. I got one on special and it seems pretty decent, although I have not used it yet....

#278868 - 01/20/16 01:45 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Resurrecting this one for consistency.
Just made a necklace which seems to be the one I could actually EDC. It's quite minimalistic, but I guess that's exactly what makes it wearable for me, as it's lightweight enough and always staying organized so I can totally forget it is there.

The content

1. Titanium 2" dogtag knife in the rubber frame with a hole on one end, a half round notch on the other, and one of the longer edges with a 1/8" wide razor sharp blade. Purchased online a while ago. So far I have my name and email address (in my own domain) engraved on one side. The bottom notch is great for producing rich sparking from the ferro rod, and for wire stripping.

2. 1.5" long 1/4" diameter ferrocerium rod with 1/10" hole. Could be 2" to match the tag's length, but 1.5" is what I had at hand and it works just fine. Drilled the hole myself, burning a hole in my synthetic pants twice along the way, before putting on my leather apron and a drop of motor oil into the hole. smile

3. 5" of 20ga diameter steel wire in a transparent plastic sleeve. Both ends are needle-sharpened, covered by the sleeve, and tucked under the tag's frame on the front. Besides its utility, it's forming a simple three prongs central pendant, which holds the 1 and 2 securely together, also making them easily detachable without even removing the necklace. Though there is a very little chance the lock I made on it is coming off under any random tension. Another advantage of this design is that this rather short necklace (it is head tight, so I can wear it on the forehead or on the ears to rig other gear) behaves like a twice longer one on the neck (i.o.w. it sits wider on the chests top), what helps hiding it under the collar of the shirt. So, I cannot feel it and cannot see it (primary annoyances of my previous attempts to wear something on the neck)

4. ~15' of black #8 nylon thread braided in a chain pattern using the four finger loops method (does not look perfect, as that's my first try to braid a thread, so I may redo that later). For an unknown reason I cannot find the instructional video for that anymore, even though I had it on Youtube on my phone and on my PC; but I have memorized the simple and fast technique well (there are some other four loop techniques on Youtube, but they look overly complex). I've connected the single length of the thread into a single loop first, then coiled it 2 more times to form 4 equal loops or 8 strands for braiding. I've bundled the starting end-loop of the resulting ~2 mm thick cord in a trivial overhand knot (easy to untie) but left the other end open for now to see how it might unwind and wear per strand under the EDC conditions.

The necklace wears really well so far (3 days). I don't feel it at all under the shirt or even when sleeping. Perhaps, the fact that the tag is riding between 2-nd and 3-rd shirt buttons rather than against the solar plexus is helping as well. The pendant's wide arms seem to prevent typical shifting of the necklace over the chest efficiently and, sure thing, it's not rotating at all, what prevents the ferro rod from touching the wet skin, reducing the corrosion chances (Titanium is inert, the steel wire is in plastic sleeve). Perhaps I should cover it with nail polish anyway for protection.

Also I plan to add an HD sewing needle as the wire is not really ideal for sewing (still possible, though). Most likely, I'll make a flammable thin film insert under the dog tag and place the needle in between.

Another idea is to try braiding the fishing line (mono or braided) just to see if it's better in any way. However, the strong nylon thread seem to be more interesting for EDC.

Any questions or improvement ideas are welcome!

#278870 - 01/20/16 02:43 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Alex
Resurrecting this one for consistency.
Just made a necklace which seems to be the one I could actually EDC. It's quite minimalistic, but I guess that's exactly what makes it wearable for me, as it's lightweight enough and always staying organized so I can totally forget it is there.

Any questions or improvement ideas are welcome!

Hi
So do you have a breakaway? Why? Is it at the back of your neck? Why?

Page 5 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.