Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#224915 - 06/01/11 08:30 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Mark_Frantom
Bacpacjac, the BSA Hotspark works pretty well. You can order it online here:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Item...3&item=1167

Thanks Mark! That's the kind of size I'm looking for AND it supports BSA, which I like too. Us Scout leaders ned to stick together, no matter wwhat national flag is on our uniform! wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224933 - 06/01/11 11:38 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
You should also be able to find the BSA Hotspark at any Boy Scout council Scout Store.

Just Google "Boy Scout near XXXXX" and you should find your local store. The web sites should list store location and hours.

#224954 - 06/02/11 01:41 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I'm going to our local Scouts Canada store tomorrow morning actually, and will have a look.

Ideally, I'd like something about the same size as my micro photon II. I've added a regular sized firesteel to my wilderness lanyard but want a firestarter on my permanent necklace.

I'm now on the hunt for a tiny - but useful - sharp for my wilderness lanyard. I'm going for the holy trio plus 1 on that - light, fire, knife and whistle. (And still the micro lightsaber for amusing thr kiddos.)

#225012 - 06/02/11 02:23 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: KenK]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
You're welcome jac. Hope you find that hotspark at the scout store.

izzy that's a nice looking setup, but looks like it would be a bit clunky and uncomfortable around your neck anyway. At first I thought a neck lanyard with all the basics would be nice but then I thought it might be more comfortable to have it hold just a few key pieces of gear like the whistle, light, and firestarter, and augment it with a pocket size altoids type kit for the rest.

Unfortunately ken, our district's scout shop is about a 2 1/2 hour drive away. The shipping costs are cheaper for me than paying for the gas.

EDIT: jac, a few ideas for the sharp off the top of my head - tiny folding knife like the spyderco ladybug (no affiliations) or similar, or possibly a scalpel blade in the pill fob with the tinder.

Edited by Mark_Frantom (06/02/11 02:25 PM)

#225041 - 06/02/11 07:05 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Mark!! I'm on the hunt. Our Scout Shop didn't have anything small enough on either front so I'm outdoor store shopping now.

#225133 - 06/03/11 05:28 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mark, I settled on a Gerber Vise Mini Multi-tool. I could have gotten a larger single or double blade, but I like the idea of having a second set of pliers.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Vise-Mini-Tool-30-000017.php
(standard non-affiliation disclaimer)

#225141 - 06/03/11 06:08 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: bacpacjac]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
Mark, I settled on a Gerber Vise Mini Multi-tool. I could have gotten a larger single or double blade, but I like the idea of having a second set of pliers.

http://www.gerber-tools.com/Gerber-Vise-Mini-Tool-30-000017.php
(standard non-affiliation disclaimer)

Backpacjac,
This is what I have done:
Smallest ferro rod you can find. I suggest that you go on e-bay and buy a light-my- fire. The very small orange handled one.
Pill fob packed with cotton/vasiline balls.
Coghlan's wrist compass: Very good bit of kit. Loose the strap and put it on your neck cord.
Whistle. What ever you fancy. I prefer a ACME tornado.
A photon light or what is generally refered to as a fauxton. I prefer the fauxton. Most of my fauxtons have outlasted my much vaunted Photon lights.(e-bay again!)
For a neck knife: Pick a Becker BK13 and get someone to mod the spine to a flat edge.

Also: forget about all the "concerns" about be throttled by 550 cord. Ain't going to happen and you've got a knife!

#225143 - 06/03/11 06:18 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thanks Leigh! I'm pretty with my set-up now. On a Scouts Canada lanyard I have:

-orange Scouts Canada Fox 4 whistle
-LMF Firesteel (regular-sized one with the red handle, wouldn't mind a mini for this and my necklace but I'm happy enough with the reg. size for my lanyard)
-Gerber Vise Mini Multi-tool
-orange Garrity LED keychain light (might upgrade to a Photon or Fauxton)
-Star Wars Lightsabre LED

I also wear a Micro Photon on my necklace at all times, along with a mini-harmonica for entertaining the kids. I add a whistle when camping for any unexpected middle of the night emergencies.

#225158 - 06/03/11 11:34 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Watching the ferro rod discussion here, I have updated my necklace with one:

I've made it by cutting a 1 inch piece from my long 5/16" diameter Coghlan's firesteel and joining it by glue and hot shrink tubing with a small glow in the dark stick (green) for the handle. I have decided to use a P38 can opener as a scrapper. It was not very good at the job, so I've made a sharp triangular notch at one end (similar to one on some wire striping tools). Surprisingly it's produced a huge and dense bundle of small sparks without much of an effort (very light pressure required). However I think it might wear off quickly as it's edge dulls. Anyway, here is the notch design:

(click on images to view larger HD sized ones in Picasa).

The working part of the rod is wrapped with another piece of hot shrinking tubing for protection from rust.

The P38 is on the same ring as the flashlight (behind it on the image above), which significantly enhances the grip.

By the way. The black and orange thing visible behind it - is a flat powerful neodymium magnet, which I plan to glue to the back of the flashlight. It can be used for holding the flashlight on metal objects, to pick and recover metal things, and as a string compass - much more versatile thing than a button compass in fact.

Also I've added a quick release clasp for the flash drive, so I can use it without taking off the necklace, or to convert the necklace to a pocket lanyard on a clip.

Still undecided on what to keep as a fire starter device, lighter or rod? The later is noticeably heavier than peanut lighter, but much more versatile on the other hand.

#264138 - 10/09/13 07:28 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
BruceZed Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Canada
I recently updated my Survival Kit on String or as it is often called a 'Survival Necklace'. This is probably at least my 8th version and overtime I have made it heavier and improved the equipment I always carry around my neck.

Here is the link to the full article Survival Kit on a String if you are interested.
boreal.net

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 444 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.