Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#224765 - 05/31/11 03:44 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
mpb
Unregistered

I do not see the need for such a necklace.
I (we) live and work for 25 years in the northern Canadian wilderness and do not have/use such gadget.
What I (we) carry is a good Swiss pocketknife, fire-making kit, space blanket, head lamp and vac. pak. pressure bandage.
( items are not 'on person' at most times, just folder, other items in either surveyor vest or day pack, then most possible need for)
Never needed all 5 items at any one time together.
Never used space blaket.
Keep it real, people!

#224767 - 05/31/11 03:59 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: ]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Aaachk! I just can't imagine carrying gear around my neck. I think I'm more sensitive to that than most people. Couldn't STAND wearing neckties either.

I much prefer carrying gear in my pockets, in a small fanny pack, or a backpack (as the gear gets more plentiful and bigger).

If trying to tether gear to myself (!) I'd rather use lengths of paracord tied to my belt and then stuffed into the same pocket. The only exception to that being a compass, but even that doesn't hang ... I'll only wear if around my neck if I have a breast pocket to stuff it in; otherwise it will drive me nuts.

Do keep in mind that I'm a small kit guy - ala Peter Kummerfeldt’s philosophy (http://www.outdoorsafe.com). Stuffing an enhanced (purification tablets, mini-BIC, ...) Ritter PSP in one pocket and a large orange plastic bag in another - along with my EDC Mk1 knife - is all I'll do. When outdoor I'm always carrying a 1 quart water bottle too. I've thought about also adding some kind of mini-tube to the PSP as a straw for gathering water out of tiny puddles.

#224771 - 05/31/11 04:13 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: KenK]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
while I personally detest things on my neck (ie, my dog tags), if it's for you, more power to you. I think that NightHiker has a good compromise of good and bad. Ranger Rick's is a good idea to peruse too, but take what he says with a grain of salt, he seems to have great ideas interspersed with gizmo's.

I think the regular "dog tag" chains break with enough force. The only down side I have to them is mine keeps snagging on chest hair. It's really annoying!

paracord is a good idea, as is using a wire saw.

#224775 - 05/31/11 04:16 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Agreed that you can do fine without a working necklace most of the time, but there are at least a couple of exceptions. When caving, a small (very small) flashlight on a light cord, makes good sense. Rarely used, but if you need it, you really need it. The other situation would be when wearing an avalanche beacon when mountaineering. Put it around the neck, turn it one, and leave it there for the duration.

#224809 - 05/31/11 07:50 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Jury is still out on this. I have added a small pill fob with some jute twine stuffed into it. Probably will be adding or substituting some tinder quiks soon. So far it is not too uncomfy (except the occasional chest hair as MDinana mentioned - owie). I did forget to wear it today, but then I am beginning to think this may be more of a when-I-venture-outdoors kind of thing. I have had the mini-led light come in handy numerous times during recent power outages though. Much easier than trying to find candles and matches/lighter in the dark (Where did DW move them to this time?).

While these may not be for everyone, I am liking this as the first layer of survival gear. This seems to me to be most practical as part of a layered approach (a no-brainer for others I am sure). A whistle, light, spark-based fire-starter and pill fob with tinder inside seems to be just about the limit of items without making it unwieldy and uncomfortable. I was thinking I could then eliminate these items from a personal survival kit that is not really pocket sized yet, hopefully making it closer to pocket-sized. But I am also wondering if this is a good idea or not? The redundalunatic in me says no. The minimalist in me says yes. What does everyone else think?

As a final note, I am just having some fun with this. As it turns out it is also proving somewhat practical. Isn't that what it's all about?

Edited by Mark_Frantom (05/31/11 07:52 PM)

#224816 - 05/31/11 10:06 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
There are many convincing situations could be found in water sports, e.g. scuba diving, surfing, windsurfing, etc. I have been in a real survival situation when my windsurfing board broke in the storm and after 5 hours of struggling I've managed to land on an unknown shore of the wide river. I was exhausted and cold to death, but miraculously run into a local fisherman who made a big warming fire for me. I'm more into scuba diving now, but always taking my peanut lighter on the pictured above necklace under the wet suit. Unfortunately it's flooded last time after the 90' dive, but I think I can work on that problem.

Another reason - ease of concealment from a typical body search.

#224826 - 06/01/11 12:08 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Alex]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I often wondered how I could tuck in something small and compact to make a fire to carry with me when scuba diving. I was imagining a scenario where the dive boat would have disappeared when me and my buddy surfaced. The best thing I could come up with was a mag bar encased in some sort of epoxy or plastic. I never did actually try to implement that idea. I would imagine that something like a peanut lighter will eventually fail under the stress of repeated compression/decompression cycles, but until that occurs, one would be fabulous.

I did actually come up from a dive once to find our boat nowhere in sight. We were in two groups of three and we huddled up, bobbing in the water, drifting lazily toward Santa Rosa Island, a quarter mile away. After about thirty minutes, our boat reappeared. It had been called away on very urgent, brief business.

#224829 - 06/01/11 12:19 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
I often wondered how I could tuck in something small and compact to make a fire to carry with me when scuba diving.

Does anybody know a source for mini fire steels? Something nn inch or so in length with the plastic holder? I'd love to add one to my necklace but have only found large and larger. Kevin's got a nice one on his paracord bracelet...

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#224847 - 06/01/11 02:08 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
DavidEnoch Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Texas
I have thought using sling shot bands for the necklace.
David Enoch

#224876 - 06/01/11 01:01 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Bacpacjac, the BSA Hotspark works pretty well. You can order it online here:

http://www.scoutstuff.org/BSASupply/Item...3&item=1167

Although I am a cubscout den leader I have no other affiliations, just a happy customer. This is the one I have on my necklace at the moment. It's also what pushed me to add the pill fob (with watertight seal) with some reliable dry tinder material that can take a spark. As my skills at finding tinder in the wild improve I may eventually eliminate this but for now it is going with me.

On a sidenote, the striker is already becoming a bit discolored just from the contact with my skin (sweat, oils, etc). As I am sure it is just a piece of carbon steel, this should be taken into consideration when using in a water environment. It may be a good idea to consider either a second watertight pill fob to hold the steel and striker, or just one to hold the steel, striker and tinder.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.