Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Topic Options
#279039 - 01/25/16 09:49 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
I'm partial to a short lanyard from my belt to a split ring in my pocket with a modified side release (breakaway) buckle near my belt. I have gotten hung up on my gear while sliding down a boulder, and it's definitely a "dafug!?!" moment.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279134 - 01/28/16 07:45 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: tomfaranda]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Happy to answer that Tom

My main reason for having this with me everyday is the fenix e01 and the whistle. The light gets used very often, the whistle not so much but I like to have it handy and on my person every day.

As for the firesteel (and the pill fob with tinder), it is a handy back-up to whatever other fire starters I may carry (speaking of which i need to get back to carrying a Bic lighter daily). It is also just easier to leave it on the chain all the time, so whenever I need to convert it to neck carry for outdoor activities there's no "hmmmm, now where did I put that firesteel?" moment. Instead, it's simply a matter of pulling the chain from my pocket, untangling it, putting it around my neck and bam, I'm good to go.

All this said, I recently acquired a new fire starter which I have considered adding to the neck chain to replace the firesteel and tinder-in-pill-fob combo. It is the ust micro spark wheel , I picked this up on a clearance deal, the package had the micro-spark wheel, extra flints, tinder, all in a large (not too large tho), orange, watertight aluminum case with carabiner clip attached (you can see it here by scrolllling the page down to the fire starting stoke kit). I haven't added it yet because I haven't had enough time to practice with it, it's a bit small and fidgety for my butterfingers (i'm hoping practice will remedy this also), and the micro spark is so small I'm afraid I will lose it if it's dropped while trying to use it.

Anyway, hope this answers your questions.

Standard disclaimers apply, no affiliations with any products or sites linked to or mentioned.

#279137 - 01/28/16 08:33 PM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Nice find, Mark_F. I had an idea to wear the Ritter PSK sparkler as well (it's very lightweight), but figured it will be redundant having the knife there already. Also the wheel would require some serious protection from the skin moisture and abrasion to be readily available for work, but that's an additional weight and bulk. I do have several of these aluminum capsules of various shapes and sizes, but I'm attaching them to my belt-to-pocket lanyard system only, as the coming day plans dictate. I did try them on the neck a while ago - too annoying against the chest and skin for me to EDC. Besides, it's frankly a dead weight (you cannot use it for anything else). My new necklace is riding very well so far, so perfectly unnoticeable that I ended up in the shower wearing it a couple of times (easily dried it with the hair drier, but it's better to avoid doing that, I think, as the ferro-rod metal is quite porous). The weight is the king here for me. Although, I saw smaller rods on eBay (like 1/8" diameter), just have doubts I can affix one to the necklace in the same bulletproof way as the 1/4" one, or use such a small rod without a handle or lanyard.

By the way, you can easily improve that little spark wheel handling by attaching a lanyard to its end (possibly wrapping it around the entire handle length as well, but not necessarily), just experiment with its length to match your palm's size. I've found that stretching it tight between pinky and the handle adds quite a good additional grip to any short handle (another option is a grippy knot on the lanyard's end, shorter length, but bulkier overall).

#279155 - 01/29/16 05:30 AM Re: About neck lanyards/survival necklaces? [Re: Mark_F]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Mark F, I have the fenix 01 or 05 as an edc light and love them, but on my small keychain, not as a neck carry. As i said when I queried the edc neck chain, to each his own! I also have the micro spark wheel and it looks good, but haven't used it yet. Would only be a hiking carry for me, not edc.

Page 7 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.