Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#279123 - 01/28/16 04:42 PM Survial Smart Phones
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Rather than hijack into the "survival tablet" thread, I would like to inquire as to a good phone to acquire, considering that it will be used outdoors a lot, and potentially for 'survival" purposes. I am sure I will make good use of the camera function, and probably GPS as well. A definite fan and long time committed user of paper maps, it might as well be time to consider the electronic versions.

As long as I am asking, what apps would you recommend?

The reason I am asking is that I found that my Galaxy SIII did not respond well to a salt water dunking - it doesn't want to take pictures anymore.

I find the comparison of a smartphone to a multitool very appropriate, and I am a fan of MT's.

Thanks in advance for your responses and for helping to drag me kicking and screaming into the expanding electronic age...

#279124 - 01/28/16 04:52 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
My Galaxy SIII had terrible battery life, even when it was only on stand-by. I loved the phone but wouldn't recommend it, especially as a survival or emergency phone, based solely on that experience.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279126 - 01/28/16 05:25 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: hikermor]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
One thing to keep in mind, that as technology advances, smartphones become obsolete pretty quickly. I have an older Android phone. I used to have some pretty good apps on it. But the time came, as it always seems to, when the phone started acting erratically and I had to do a factory reset. Then when I went to reload my favorite apps, I found that most of them had been updated over the years to newer versions - and those newer versions would not run on my old phone. I was not able to find the older app versions that would run on my phone in most cases.

So plan on backing up everything on your phone for a LOCAL restore later. Make sure you get a smartphone that can handle a complete LOCAL restore of all your apps and their data. Don't be foolish like I was and think you can just re-download the apps from the web again at some later date. For one, the web may be gone, but even if it's still there, you can still be in trouble, like I was.

#279127 - 01/28/16 05:38 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: hikermor]
NAro Offline
Addict

You probably know this... but FWIW: don't count on the phone's GPS if you don't have data or wifi connection. I'm not aware of any of them that actually communicate with the satellites on their own, like a dedicated GPS.

#279128 - 01/28/16 05:42 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There are a lot of choices. From a wilderness use point of view, the case you put the phone in may be more important than the phone you decide to buy. Count on using the phone sparingly and carrying the means to charge it with you. Make appropriate configuration changes to improve battery life -- no matter what phone you have, if you're using "push" notifications from social media apps, battery life won't be great.

There are bad guys in the world who use nefarious means to compromise mobile devices. Mobile antivirus is of very limited utility against these threats. Look for a mobile device manufacturer with a good record of updating software to close known vulnerabilities. Install apps only from reputable developers.

#279129 - 01/28/16 05:52 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: chaosmagnet]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Make appropriate configuration changes to improve battery life

• Turn backlight to minimum "on" duration. When you're done using the device, manually turn off the backlight immediately rather than waiting for it to time out and turn itself off. Turn backlight intensity to minimum brightness. You can manually change these on an as needed basis.
  • Turn off all radio - WiFi, Bluetooth, GPS, 3G and 4G. This will isolate you from the internet. But you can turn it on manually if and when you require it.
  • If you enable an email app, set it to NOT automatically retrieve emails. Again, you should instigate this manually if and when you need it.
  • Don't load games on it - many of these draw revenue from ads, and will go out in the background and try to retrieve new ads to display, even when you're not running the game. Same thing from some non-game apps as well. Basically, load a minimum number of apps that you actually need. And try to stay away from apps that like to phone home to the mothership.

#279130 - 01/28/16 06:06 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: NAro]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: NAro
You probably know this... but FWIW: don't count on the phone's GPS if you don't have data or wifi connection. I'm not aware of any of them that actually communicate with the satellites on their own, like a dedicated GPS.
This is an urban legend, and not correct. While some of the very early smartphones needed a cell connection to compute a location, more up to date models are fully capable of finding your position completely independent of cell connection.

I live in Alaska, where cell coverage is spotty to non existent once you get out of town. I'm currently using an iphone 4 (hardly the latest model), and I have used it many times to get a GPS fix while out of cell range. On several occasions while out of cell range, just for fun I have taken simultaneous readings with both my iphone and my Garmin GPS. The iphone is always spot on with the Garmin.

#279131 - 01/28/16 06:24 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: hikermor]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Keep in mind that with some devices the GPS receiver gets turned off in Airplane mode -- this is something to figure out before you need to. But the GPS function is a separate chip, receiver and antenna for all modern smartphones that I know of. Wifi and mobile connections, when available, can improve the speed of a fix.

#279132 - 01/28/16 06:39 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
My well rounded final choice is Samsung Galaxy Note 3.

1. It has removable battery - so you can stock on easily replaceable spares. And you can recharge them separately by various means while using the phone disconnected from the charger (must have option).

2. It has T-flash (Micro SD) slot. So you can carry multiple tiny memory cards with maps, music, books, movies, games, etc and make them available on the phone only when needed. I.o.w. you are not limited by the phone's internal storage (must have option)

3. Note has a decent stylus for hand writing, drawing, sketching, and precise manipulation of the graphical interfaceces elements. It replaces a pencil and a notepad in 90% of cases when those are needed (must have option to me, as I'm drawing plans and schematics a lot)

4. Has a decent camera (not the best possible, but very good, perfectly adequate for many daily survival purposes).

5. The screen is large, bright, and sharp - great for all mapping purposes, but still not big enough to make the phone as cumbersome as even 8" tablets.

6. Samsung is the king of various external sensors integrated.

7. OLED screen - great outdoors visibility even in the direct sun (consumes more power, yes, but you will have to take care of that in an ultimate way anyway) The OLED screen is a must have feature for me, as I need a completely black screen without any back light bleeding (All the TFT screens are suffering from) for the maximal darkness adaptation (serious astronomy, you know).

8. The OtterBox rugged cases are readily available for this top of the line model (as well as some other cases, including watertight and externally attaching battery options). A must have feature, as there are only 2-3 really trusted rugged external cases makers on the market to date. Also such wrap around cases are easily modifiable with a neck/hand lanyard and have a sturdy belt clip option.

The newer model, the Note 4 is also good, but it has a fingerprint sensor on the back, which makes it more vulnerable to damage and leakage (as the phone is often resting on some surface, plus - all rugged cases had to provide an opening in the back plate for that - another structurally weak point), but that's actually a minor drawback. The Note 5 and the upcoming 6 are no go, as they are sadly lacking the 1 and 2 features.

Regarding the power saving - the fastest way is to trigger the Airplane mode which is effectively blocking all of the communication chips and quite fast to switch back and forth. Also I made sure my desktop and apps have the darkest color themes possible (savings are for OLED screens only). Even my web browser has a night mode with inversed colors forcefully applied to any pages displayed. But if you carry a fully charged spare battery it's just a matter of 1 minute to replace it when low during the day. Under the heaviest use (watching HD movies nonstop over the WiFi with BT earphones) it goes from 100% to 5% in 4 hours. But I've been using it for GPS navigation including the constant track recording (also making surround images and short videos on the go) on an unfamiliar trail once for slightly over 8 hours in a row, and got around 30% power left on return.

And yep, the phone GPS is 100% functional without any networks around.

#279133 - 01/28/16 06:43 PM Re: Survial Smart Phones [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Regarding the apps, there are many. For the field navigation I love the OSMAnd (offline and online maps). I'll compile the list of what I'm using and how a bit later.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 395 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.