Topic Options
#279049 - 01/26/16 01:09 AM Cargo Ships Not Moving
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
The following two web sites track ships around the world:

https://www.vesselfinder.com/

http://www.myshiptracking.com/

We should be seeing ships all over the globe, moving. As of the time I write this, I only see one ship out at sea. What I heard today is, it has been this way for two weeks. Goods are not being shipped.

Jeanette Isabelle

#279050 - 01/26/16 01:40 AM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The Baltic Dry Index is at record lows. Investment Tool's chart goes back far enough that the current low is evident. Just my layman opinion, but the top chart on that page says a lot about the state of International trade -- tanking.

#279053 - 01/26/16 02:11 AM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I heard three theories on why this is happening. Regardless of the reason, if you're not stocked up, what are you waiting for? Store shelves will be bare.

Jeanette Isabelle

#279057 - 01/26/16 02:49 AM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Looking at your first link (vesselfinder.com), if you read the "about" link at the bottom, it says it is using AIS terrestrial stations to track ships. AIS (Automatic Identification System) uses VHF to transmit vessel location, identification, etc. If the website is only using terrestrial stations, it won't show any ships beyond VHF range from shore. For big ships with high antennas that might be only 100 miles or so from shore. If you look at the map, it only shows vessels near shore and near various islands. Zoom in and you will see lots of ships at sea coming and going near big ports.

A more recent development called "S-AIS" uses satellites to receive data from ships, but it doesn't appear that this website is using that. And I don't know if all vessels are using S-AIS either.

Bottom line is that the absence of vessels at sea is due to an absence of data, not an absence of ships at sea. Trade may be declining somewhat, perhaps related to China's economic downturn, but I'm not too worried that "Store shelves will be bare."

#279063 - 01/26/16 07:30 AM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

AKSAR's post makes sense. I looked at some of the ships, and they were moving. If we're faced with some sort of global economic collapse that we haven't somehow heard of, the ships would be immobile.

But maybe I should still stock up on those iPhones in case China stops shipping them.

#279064 - 01/26/16 10:25 AM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Plenty of ships moving: http://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-69/centery:39/zoom:2

#279066 - 01/26/16 05:06 PM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

#279068 - 01/26/16 05:51 PM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
As for not hearing anything about it, it is in the foreign press. I mentioned in another thread I read the foreign press.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/t...icle3225440.ece

Be careful of this link. It seemed to have tried to make me download malware.

I had time to read the article though. Its sources of information are random blogs.

I'm puzzled by the contradiction -- the article says the cargo ships are dead in the water, but the first links that Jeanette provides at the start of the thread showed, when I spot checked, individual cargo ships moving. I could see their speed and direction. If they're out of business, why would they be moving?

#279069 - 01/26/16 06:23 PM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't think shipping has issues at the moment. With the low oil prices the shipping company's are really investing in a lot of things to improve there operations.

(on the other hand, the oil prices causes budget cuts in the oil industy)

#279070 - 01/26/16 06:26 PM Re: Cargo Ships Not Moving [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
I'm puzzled by the contradiction -- the article says the cargo ships are dead in the water, but the first links that Jeanette provides at the start of the thread showed, when I spot checked, individual cargo ships moving. I could see their speed and direction. If they're out of business, why would they be moving?

No one said anyone is out of business, quite the opposite. Lenders are not wanting or not ready to declare a loss.

In the original post I did say I saw one ship moving at the time I wrote it, meaning not all ships are anchored. Two of links I provided are of "zombie ships." I'm not saying all ships at sea are "zombie ships" but they are out there.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 390 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 01:15 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.