Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#278940 - 01/22/16 11:01 PM Automobile magnetic compass question?
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Is it possible to have a useful magnetic compass mounted atop a truck's dashboard, given all the metal and electrical fields? Close accuracy isn't required, just something that can provide the cardinal and ordinal points fairly accurately.

I'm also interested in pitch and roll indicators (bubble-level type devices that indicate the the degree of fore and aft and more usually side to side tilt through an arc, similar to those found on sailboats) suitable for mounting in a truck. Maybe a circular bubble level? They would be used for finding a level spot to park, not while the truck is in motion.

I know that GPS and my smartphone can do these things, but I'm old fashioned about having backups and not being reliant on electronics.

Thanks!

Edited by JeffMc (01/22/16 11:50 PM)

#278941 - 01/22/16 11:21 PM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: JeffMc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Magnetic compasses are routinely mounted at the helms of power boats, replete with all sorts of electronics and I understand they are "adjusted" to account for all the stray electrons. Sorry, not quite sure how that is accomplished.

#278945 - 01/22/16 11:41 PM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: hikermor]
JeffMc Offline

Thanks. There are a lot of boat yards around here. One day I may go see what they say, and how much they charge to do the installation adjustment for me.

#278946 - 01/22/16 11:56 PM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: hikermor]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I have an 8 directions electronic compass in my auto-dimming rear view mirror. But in practice I'm using a simple cheap ball compass on my dash for 16 years. When mounting it - put your car into a known direction first and move the compass mount around on the dash (before sticking it in a permanent spot using self-adhesive pad) to find a location where it shows a correct magnetic direction to you. That's where all of the anomalies are self-negating. Surely it will be off by a bit anyway, but for a quick direction pick that's not crucial at all. Also the ball shape gives you an immediate pick on the pitch and roll data as well. Nothing super precise, just a general sense if it's significant or dangerous (just make sure you affixing the mount on a level surface, mine has a pitch adjustment though). Keep in mind though, that when moving, the pitch/roll data will be affected by the vehicle acceleration forces as well, because the device is gravity based.

In the recent time, I've started using my Android phone on the rural road trips as a dashboard supplement. The Torque app has plenty of fantastic features for the car driver, including the arbitrary dash design, which has the roll and pitch gauges as options, the compass, fuel economy meter, and plenty more. It's also connected to the OBD-II blue tooth dongle in your car's OBD port. So the amount of features depends on your car's computer as well. Here is the screenshot of my current travel dash, which I've designed myself:

#278948 - 01/23/16 12:07 AM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: hikermor]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Many newer cars come with a compass installed. My Subaru has one on the rear view mirror. It shows "N", "NW", "W", etc. It seems to be reasonably accurate for rough cardinal directions.

Boat compasses are corrected for the local field of the boat by using small magnets mounted around the compass. The boat is pointed in a known direction such as magnetic north, and the small magnets are adjusted to a position so that the compass reads correctly. Then the boat is pointed in another known direction and the process is repeated. This is iterated until the compass is more or less correct.

You can never quite get the compass to read absolutely correctly using this method. Consequently for precise navigation boats will have a "Deviation Card", which gives a small correction to be applied for each desired coarse. To sail a given course, the navigator first determines the True course, then corrects for Variation (same as declination for us landlubbers), which gives the Magnetic course. Then one must correct for Deviation (using the deviation card) to get the Compass course to be steered.

To remember the series of corrections "True" > "Variation" > "Magnetic" > "Deviation" > "Compass" there is the old salt's mnemonic "True Virgins Make Dull Companions!" smile

#278949 - 01/23/16 12:08 AM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: JeffMc]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Years Decades back (1985 IIRC) I received a vehicle compass for Christmas. This was the type of compass you would expect to see in an aircraft or boat, but it was designed for a car/truck. I never had a vehicle worthy so it stayed in the box. It has the adjustments for magnetic deviation to account for steel in the car and instructions similar to what you would do with an aircraft on a compass rose.

#278955 - 01/23/16 02:00 AM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: Russ]
JeffMc Offline

Would you be interested in selling it?

#278956 - 01/23/16 02:07 AM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: Alex]
JeffMc Offline

That app looks very interesting. Unfortunately, my OBD port is occupied by my ScanGauge II (which I highly recommend).

What's the exact name of that app, or where I can i find it and its dongle?

#278957 - 01/23/16 02:25 AM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: JeffMc]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Sorry, that will never happen.

#278974 - 01/23/16 07:06 PM Re: Automobile magnetic compass question? [Re: JeffMc]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
The Torque app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=org.prowl.torque

The OBD II dongle is any generic BT dongle you can find. I have this one riding always connected for like 6-7 years already: http://www.amazon.com/Veepeak-Bluetooth-Scanner-Android-Diagnostic/dp/B011NSX27A - it's sitting flush in the port in my Subaru, so I made a tape flap to make its removal easier (sometimes it needs a reset, so I just pull it out and insert back).

This is may ball compass: http://www.amazon.com/EFORCAR-Compass-Navigation-Direction-Guide/dp/B00O9VGAFU

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 245 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.