Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#279016 - 01/25/16 03:08 AM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: gonewiththewind]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I've got a Stanley bar in my truck too. Every tool box should have one. Another to consider is the Stanley FUBAR Demolition Bar Variations on a theme.

#279017 - 01/25/16 03:17 AM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: hikermor]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: hikermor
quoting AKSAR: "Having some means to cut seat belts makes sense for rescuing others. However, I don't think there is often much need for a tool in self rescue. In the vast majority of cases, the best self rescue tool is going to be your hand, simply reaching the buckle and releasing it in the usual manner. "

War story time: Many years ago, I was riding in the passenger seat of a cargo van when it did a 3/4 roll. I wound up hanging on my side from the seat belt (at that moment I really became a believer in seat belt use).. Unbuckling was automatic and easily accomplished.

I would sy my mental faculties were clouded. My first thought was to take pictures for the insurance company.

Another story showing that buckles can jam closed. A friend of mine ended up shiny side down while off roading in his jeep, and was hanging upside down from the belt. His body weight was enough to jam the buckle. Once he got his weight off the belt, he was able to unbuckle himself.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279021 - 01/25/16 02:57 PM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: Tom_L]
M_a_x Offline
Veteran

Loc: Germany
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Just curious, have you ever seen a Glock field knife break at the tang?

No, I have not seen that. The tang of this knife is very short and it is the handle that breaks when you try to use it as prybar too hard. As yes, I have seen that happen with mine.
Punching holes in sheet metal is a different subject. The Glock field knife is designed for thrust. The Austrian army has an adapter to use it as bayonet.
Iīm not saying that it is an inferior knife. I just donīt think that itīs up to prying open a car door.

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
However, if no help can be expected and push really comes to shove - what do you do? Give up altogether because you're not ideally prepared for the job? Or at least give it a honest try to do something about the situation with what you have at hand?

Iīd try an other door first and if that fails, the windshield and the rear window are much easier targets (probably they are already smashed anyway).

#279029 - 01/25/16 08:05 PM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: gonewiththewind]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Montanero
Stanley Pry Bar ... Gerber seat belt cutter with a glass breaking point (never used it), and EMT shears.

That sounds like a very reasonable, practical, and affordable rescue tool set for a personal vehicle, IMO

#279032 - 01/25/16 09:16 PM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: ireckon]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This strikes me as a very unlikely event - Its cool, but the total amount of times I stopped and found somebody trapped by a seat belt? Zero.

Important for LEo and fire/rescue...but for a corporate IT guy?

#279040 - 01/25/16 10:05 PM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: TeacherRO]
Mark_R Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Southern California
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
This strikes me as a very unlikely event - Its cool, but the total amount of times I stopped and found somebody trapped by a seat belt? Zero.

Corporate IT guy driving a top heavy SUV or a soccer mom with gummied up baby seats (Graco released a recall a while back because the child seat latched could get jammed from the typical mush of drool and baby snacks)? It's not beyond the pale, and a Res-Q-Me is cheap insurance. Besides, even before the hammer/cutter tools became popular, it was recommended to carry an automatic punch as an escape tool.

The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane

#279055 - 01/26/16 02:41 AM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: ireckon]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

The people I helped out of their cars were not rescue people, just normal people on a regular trip. They did not have anything to get out with, so I got in.

#279056 - 01/26/16 02:48 AM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: TeacherRO]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida

Some people spend a lot more time driving on bad or remote country roads than others do. If, for example, you regularly commute between your country place and the city along twisty mountain roads where professional rescue will take time to reach, you're gonna encounter a certain number of serious wrecks over the years, where you might want to be able to do something other than wait.

The same might be true if there are a lot of bridges and causeways over water in your area, or roads that are prone to black ice formation in cold weather

I had a friend who lived along a bad downhill curve on country road where a fire/rescue response might take a half-hour or more. But his road got a fair amount of traffic because it was an alternate route between a large urban area and some popular recreational and vacation areas. He said there were bad wrecks along that stretch of road at least a few times every year, often ending up crashing right onto to his property.

#279067 - 01/26/16 05:23 PM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: JeffMc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Medical/extrication emergencies are rare and unlikely, but they do happen... just a couple from my personal experience.

at a scientific conference, giving info in a day long seminar in Washington DC on a project I was directing - heard a sound like a ripe watermelon hitting the floor - it was my #1 assistant, good friend, and confidante - in a grand mal seizure - something I knew was unprecedented in his medical history. Oddly enough, in a bunch of archaeologists, a RN beat me to his side. Incidentally, since he was unconscious, I was able to give a medical history to the responding MET, call his wife, etc.

My GF, halfway through a CPR course, was grocery shopping, and had to deal with a sudden loss of consciousness on the part of fellow shopper...What are the odds?

Out for a run, I witness an auto accident about a block away. Without breaking stride, I come running up to the vehicle. Once again, a RN beats me to the scene....

Perhaps the take away from all of this is - don't worry, there's always a RN lurking nearby and they can take charge..but I think you should be ready to step up to the plate when your number is called.

#279101 - 01/27/16 04:13 PM Re: Carry a blade that can cut through a seatbelt... [Re: TeacherRO]
ireckon Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Northern California

Do you carry a knife? Then it should be able to cut through a seat belt. If it can't, then you are carrying a butter knife. Sharpen it.

Page 5 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  KG2V, NightHiker 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Herman30), 306 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Herman30
Today at 08:10 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
Yesterday at 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Amanda Nenigar found dead
by Phaedrus
04/05/24 04:39 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.