Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#279061 - 01/26/16 05:25 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: JeffMc]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
As I understand, in AA's the NiMH rechargeable batteries have the most current available. It's the battery, not the LED/light engine. I have also gone to 18650 batteries for high output lights, however, I still have AA lights which work quite well.

Check out the 4Sevens Click The Quark Click QK2A-X may work -- 336 max lumen.

#279065 - 01/26/16 05:06 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: JeffMc]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: JeffMc
Thanks, but I want to stick with AAs, since that's what is most readily available on deployments and is what I've standardized on for all my emergency/survival related electronics.

"Deployments" indicates a somewhat different environment from my relatively tranquil civilian situation. You might consider 14500 (size equivalent to AAs). I believe there are lights like the Fenix LD09 that will accept either battery. I am a definite fan of rechargeable batteries - essentially they are much cheaper in the long run and the li-on versions offer much more energy density, although the do require attention and some understanding.

I retain dedicated AA lights, as well, because of the almost virtual availability of AAs, but all mine utilize rechargeables - primarily because of lower cost.

#279168 - 01/29/16 08:40 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Also adding a spare house and truck key, cash in a separate location and keeping a phone charger at work.

#279226 - 01/31/16 01:56 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: TeacherRO
Also adding a spare house and truck key, cash in a separate location and keeping a phone charger at work.

Good idea, Teacher. You just made me realize that I haven't put extra keys in my EDC purse yet. Thanks for the reminder! (We have an extra house key hidden at home, but my almost-a-teenager kid is forever forgetting his key and moving the spare. It's like a treasure hunt to find it. UGH!)

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#279250 - 01/31/16 10:22 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: bacpacjac]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
my almost-a-teenager kid is forever forgetting his key and moving the spare

I've made a paracord key lanyard and teached my DS how to quickly attach it to his jeans' belt loop, when he's turned 11. That's fixed the similar problem for many years smile

#279260 - 02/01/16 03:12 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: hikermor]
JeffMc Offline

Loc: Northwest Florida
I keep meaning to get set up for rechargeable AAs and AAAs at home, as well as solar charging in the field, for rechargeable AAs and for internal cellphone batteries. I also need a backup rechargeable battery to go along with a Samsung S6 for EDC. I'll have to look it up and see if my EDC Fenix flashlights are okay with rechargeables.

I've heard enloops are good rechargeable batteries. One thing I know I need at home is a smart charger that I can leave batteries in indefinitely without frying them.

Goal Zero seems to dominate the backpacker-weight portable solar market, but I see other brands at much lower cost on Amazon, too, like Ankar.

Aargh! Too many compatibility issues and purchase options to figure out!

#279264 - 02/01/16 03:47 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: JeffMc]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, the Goal Zero Guide 10 charges AA/AAA batteries direct, but can also changes cell-phones via a USB port. Excellent system for the field, but probably not for EDC.

#279272 - 02/01/16 07:38 AM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: Russ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
GZ Guide 10 is definitely pocketable, it is the smallest device of that kind on the market. You should be able to get about 80% of charge to your S6 from it (just make sure you've got Plus model). A cheaper option would be to get a Lithium battery based power bank. It will be much lighter, slimmer, and provide more energy (Guide 10 is around 2Ah, you can find a 10Ah LiPo for less than $20).

The Nomad 7 panel is the smallest they are offering and adequate enough for emergencies. It could be easily EDCed even in a small bag. Anker 8W panel looks interesting, but if you decide on GZ Guide 10, it's better to get the Nomad 7, as it has a special dedicated port for the most efficient charging of their Guide.

If you consider the LiPo bank, you can opt for one with a small solar panel on the side for pocket EDC. It's not very efficient, but I have one, and it can recharge its ~8Ah internal battery from about 20% left to 100% in 12 hours sitting in the full sun.

For Eneloops I would recommend visit your local costco and grab their new green box kit with 8 AAs and 4xAAAs. Their new 4xAA/AAA charger is great, as it can charge batteries individually now (1,2,3, or 4, mix AA/AAAs). You can definitely keep batteries inside forever, as that charger has a "smart" charging controller.

#279274 - 02/01/16 01:26 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
JeffMc.. if you think you might someday move into the 18650 sized rechargables with LiION or LiFePO4 chemistry, you might look at a smart charger with that ability up front... in either case be sure to get a charger with 12v cigarette plug capability...I've been extremely happy with the Sanyo/Panasonic AA and AAA Eneloops... make sure they are produced in Japan...

#279275 - 02/01/16 01:56 PM Re: Rethinking my edc ( every day carry) [Re: TeacherRO]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My home charger for Eneloops and everything else is a Nitecore D4. I got the two-bay version for my car. No affiliation, just very happy with how well it works.

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.