Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#278762 - 01/12/16 07:01 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: Tom_L]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
... As a stand-alone means of load bearing though, there are serious limitations as to what can be carried comfortably inside a makeshift bedroll "pack". Certainly no larger, bulkier items such as pots, larger cooking utensils, water containers, food, etc. Also, a bedroll is not nearly as secure as a proper backpack. Easy to lose small items without noticing. And any time you need to get something from your pack, that will mean taking apart the entire bedroll, then carefully tucking it back together before setting off again.

This has been a fascinating discussion, so thank you all!

I haven't tried using just a bed roll, so I offer no personal experience, BUT.... from what I've seen and heard from friends and You Tube, it does seem possible that it's a practical alternative to modern backpack and sleeping bag.

Here's a video from my friend Karen showing her wool blanket roll - including water bottle, pot, cup, knife, saw, etc.... It's only a minimal kit for a day trip with her grandkids, but it looks like a pretty solid set-up to me. She has hers set up to be carried like a haversack, but I've seen other configurations as well.

Skip to 3:45 in the video to see the content of the roll: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX7ENQhao-o

Dave Canterbury, as you might expect, has used this method as well, and there are a BUNCH of videos on You Tube from him and others demonstrating it.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278763 - 01/12/16 07:06 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: gonewiththewind]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Montanero
More like a McIntosh to a Granny Smith. As the bedroll pack is a form of ultralight camping (from days gone by). The idea is to go out and use it to understand how well (or poorly) it works.

Going ultralight can teach you what is really essential. While there are some people who take ultralight camping to the extreme, most of us can learn something from it. Camping with such a bedroll is a learning experience.

Wise words. Try it. Learn from it. Keep what you like and ditch what you don't and remember that YMMV. wink

#278768 - 01/12/16 09:07 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: Alex]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Alex
Read above the post from clearwater, which is not about a theory, but about the real life experience. I doubt you have tried the horseshoe already (I do plan to try that soon), your gas mask/shoulder bag carrying experience does not count, as that is exactly what can be called "comparing apples and oranges".

Now then, that is not a very productive, let alone polite way of having a conversation. I tend to refrain from commenting on gear, methods and techniques that I have no experience with. Maybe you should do the same. Given that you have no experience with a bedroll pack (by your own admission), why not at least give it a good try first before extolling its supposed virtues publicly?

Originally Posted By: Alex
Also, a lot of bulky stuff (like a kettle, pot, shovel, flask, hatchet, steel helmet, gas mask bag... was carried outside of the pack or horseshoe, either attached to them or to the belt for convenience of access.

IME a quick way of telling if somebody is an experienced outdoorsman is by the amount of gear strapped to one's belt and pack. The more stuff clipped, tied and otherwise attached to the pack externally, the better the odds that person is a greenhorn (for lack of a better word).

IME again, carrying your stuff securely inside a pack or bag of some kind means there's much less risk of losing or damaging your gear. It allows you to move faster and negotiate difficult terrain more easily. In a military setting, what does a bunch of pots and tools dangling all over the place do for noise discipline?

Anyway, I'm a hiker and outdoorsman, not a Civil War or Red Army reenactor. I'm sure Grant's army had a good reason for using bedrolls back in the day, as did the Red Army with their winter coats 70 years ago - maybe to a large extent because other/better gear was not available in the first place?

I find it curious though that the famed bedroll has all but disappeared from the armed forces in general. Backpacks are issued to the troops in every modern army that I know of. I can't recall the last time I saw someone use a bedroll in the field. Not even as a makeshift bulletproof vest. Maybe it's the quality of wool these days, I guess they just don't make it as resistant to bullets any more? blush

As for this ultralight stuff - now you've done it, I had to go through my gear and do a quick comparison on my kitchen scale. Metric, just to be a little more "scientific" in our approach.
Swiss army wool blanket (200x140 cm) - 2.2 kg
Ferrino 3-season sleeping bag w/ waterproof carrying bag - 0.6 kg
Sleeping bag liner - 0.1 kg
Yugoslav army canvas backpack - 0.35 kg (very compact and lightweight)
British issue gas mask bag - 0.2 kg
Austrian army 25L assault backpack - 1.3 kg (much sturdier than the Yugo assault pack)

So what does that tell us? Among other things, my sleeping bag weighs about one third of a single wool blanket. I don't have a greatcoat at hand, but the ones I've had a chance to play with must've weighed a lot more than a simple wool blanket. Probably in the range of 4 kg, maybe more (and even more if wet). So much for ultralight camping...

This is not at all to say that the bedroll concept is worthless in my book, just that it's gotten way out of hand ever since guys like Dave Canterbury began advocating the idea again - also making a good buck in the process, because they have a product to sell. Caveat emptor...

I try to keep an open mind when it comes to trying different sorts of gear. I love tradition, but at the same time I'm not buying the idea that "old" equals "good" (or even "superior") all the time. Like it or not, we have many more options available than our ancestors. Which is a good thing.

Heck, I'm sure Alexander the Great and his troops would've loved Goretex boots, 155mm howitzers and radio. In all probability, Christopher Columbus would've killed for a working GPS receiver and a quality compass (hopefully something better than a Chinese knock-off from the dollar store)... smile Bedrolls and greatcoats have had their day, too. Nowadays though, we have many more options to choose from, some arguably better and more practical.

YMMV (wow, I think I need to put that in my signature!)

#278769 - 01/12/16 09:35 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: Tom_L]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Tom_L

Well said. Looking at old ways of doing things can be fun. It can also provide useful ideas on how we might cope, if for some reason we do not have access to our more modern gear. And in some cases, it might even be worthwhile to revive old methods using newer materials.

But as you so well put it: ".....I'm not buying the idea that "old" equals "good" (or even "superior") all the time. Like it or not, we have many more options available than our ancestors. Which is a good thing."

#278771 - 01/12/16 09:48 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: Tom_L]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Now then, that is not a very productive, let alone polite way of having a conversation. I tend to refrain from commenting on gear, methods and techniques that I have no experience with. Maybe you should do the same. Given that you have no experience with a bedroll pack (by your own admission), why not at least give it a good try first before extolling its supposed virtues publicly?

I'm sorry if you felt that way Tom. Perhaps, you should make a discount to my cultural and linguistic difference. I don't see anything offensive in what I have said above, simply directing you to the historic evidence provided in favor of a horseshoe type bedroll rigging versus several versions of a backpack or a shoulder bag you were using as arguments. I don't have experience with bedrolls indeed, but I clearly see the good UL potential here, which is confirmed by the history of men, not by some camping gear advertising agents.

Also, I'm still a strong believer in that our iron grandfathers had much more well forgotten by now wisdom in the ETS department than we, men of wood, could ever learn. I see you have that feeling as well, looking at the obvious excuse: (not)"all the time" wink So, why the bedroll is not one of them? You cannot imagine it made of a gortex hammock rain fly? Or perhaps I must know that "bedroll" in English means "thick rough wool blanket, weight = 5 kg"? Besides, I'm talking only about skatka/horseshoe method of wearing the bedroll, if that was lost in translation.

Edited by Alex (01/12/16 10:12 PM)

#278772 - 01/12/16 09:57 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: wildman800]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Back to your scientific arguments with numbers:

Quote:

As for this ultralight stuff - now you've done it, I had to go through my gear and do a quick comparison on my kitchen scale. Metric, just to be a little more "scientific" in our approach.
Swiss army wool blanket (200x140 cm) - 2.2 kg
Ferrino 3-season sleeping bag w/ waterproof carrying bag - 0.6 kg
Sleeping bag liner - 0.1 kg
Yugoslav army canvas backpack - 0.35 kg (very compact and lightweight)
British issue gas mask bag - 0.2 kg
Austrian army 25L assault backpack - 1.3 kg (much sturdier than the Yugo assault pack)

So, what you are trying to convey here mathematically? To me it looks like you are arguing that 0.6+0.1+0.35 < or = 0.6+0.1

#278777 - 01/13/16 04:45 AM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: wildman800]
tomfaranda Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Croton on Hudson, NY
Russian winter overcoats and blanket rolls v. modern gear? This is Twilight Zone stuff.

#278778 - 01/13/16 05:31 AM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: wildman800]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
i know the Russian Army would fly their troops to a winter training area where the troops would spend the night in sub zero weather with just great coats and a blanket.i assume they did that to show the troops that it was possible to survive with just personal gear.note i said spend the night and not sleep the night!
this was some years ago i read about that so maybe now they have
modern winter gear and not WW2 left overs.
doing that ourselves might be a ok way to find out if it's possible,back yard first folks!!
by the way can someone tell me how to read all the responses
to the posts on one window by scrolling down the page? right now i have to open each post and i sometimes just skip everything and have my say without knowing what everyone had to say.
i did that in the past but forgot how to.....

#278779 - 01/13/16 01:55 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: wildman800]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
The old methods, in my opinion, combined with modern gear, can be a lifesaver when some or all of one's gear is lost in transit. Then one must have an idea how to make do with what's left, salvaged, or found.

That's part of my interest in this subject.

#278780 - 01/13/16 02:38 PM Re: Historical Camping Answers [Re: wildman800]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

"To equip a pedestrian with shelter, bedding, utensils, food, and other necessities, in a pack so light and small that he can carry it without overstrain, is really a fine art.”
-– Horace Kephart, Camping and Woodcraft, 1917

I started re-reading Horace Kephart's "Camping and Woodcraft" over the holidays. He's someone that modern traditionalist bushcrafters hold in high esteem, and try to mimic. It seems to me that he was an ulta-lighter in his day, placing great importance on balancing weight and functionality in his choice of gear. He basically said that we should look for the lightest, most useful gear we can get, while staying away from crap. He even has a chapter dedicated to the ultralight movement of his day.

I'm not sure where he'd fall in today's range of traditionalist to ultralight backpackers, but I wouldn't expect him to doggedly stick to the exact same gear he used in his glory days, as his tribe of modern day followers do. They have him frozen in time, but I expect that he'd update his choice of gear as technology advanced,and probably have a mix.

Originally Posted By: wildman800
The old methods, in my opinion, combined with modern gear, can be a lifesaver when some or all of one's gear is lost in transit. Then one must have an idea how to make do with what's left, salvaged, or found.

Excellent point, wildman. Lost gear or gear that's soaked...

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (brandtb), 240 Guests and 23 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.