Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#278738 - 01/11/16 03:33 PM California Methane Leak ...
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm reading some articles about a meeting in Los Angeles area where (so said) quite a few Dr's have stood up and stated that local residents affected should leave the area. I would love to hear from some locals confirming or denying that those statements were or were not publicly made.

That got me to thinking, "The need to hurriedly leave my home, is why we've purchased a camper". If an evacuation, on short notice were to arise, we load up DD1, the dogs, and what we need, and we set up house in a location that is clear of the local problem area. That would be some tight living quarters BUT: our dogs would be with us, I could still go to work, and our family would be intact.

What are yall's thoughts? How many ETS'ers are able to relocate their households in one fashion or another? Anybody here have a different kind of plan?

#278739 - 01/11/16 04:14 PM Re: California Methane Leak ... [Re: wildman800]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
This story has been in the local news for some time. Today I am looking at a story in the LA Times quoting a relocation cost of over 5 million for affected schools.

This is not the sort of situation where you need to bug out at flank speed. There is no fire/explosion hazard, but an air quality/health issue. According to the piece, more than 4,500 families have applied for relocation assistance to the utility company.

And all of this without even a tiny earthquake....Breathing even diluted quantities of methane is apparently not good for one's health.

Edited by hikermor (01/11/16 04:16 PM)

#278740 - 01/11/16 04:17 PM Re: California Methane Leak ... [Re: wildman800]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
My plan for a small-to-medium scale disaster that requires a bug out boils down to getting out of the disaster zone, getting a hotel room and boarding my dog. I have three easy choices for boarding (one friend a mile away, another friend ten miles away, and a really good boarding kennel ten miles away in a different direction). If we had an camper that would probably be better, but we don't.

At work, I cover a fairly large geography and work from home when I'm not with customers, so I shouldn't have problems in that regard.

#278757 - 01/12/16 01:16 PM Re: California Methane Leak ... [Re: wildman800]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
"Listening to Katrina" added one more consideration to the purchase of a small utility trailer...my primary threat is tropical weather, and usually have a couple of days warning to evacuate...while not a camper, a 2x2 ridge pole off the tailgate ramp, blue tarp, some bungee tie downs, and mosquito bar could easily be home for a short duration... the rest of my hurricane supplies are in waterproof totes

http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/blogs/klessons/p/map.html

Edited by LesSnyder (01/12/16 01:17 PM)

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.