Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#278422 - 01/02/16 02:55 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
I read one former city dweller after another saying the same thing, including those who have lived in a small town for more than twenty years. It's like dying a slow death.

I hope that isn't the case, or, at least, that the death will be really slow. I live in a smallish community within the great sprawling megalopolis of SoCal. I also spend part of every summer in Hot Springs, S.D. (pop 4000 +/-). Frankly, I enjoy both, especially my "South Dakota fix," a nice change of pace and a different, rather refreshing. ethos (a handshake usually settles most matters).

city dwelling - crowded freeways; small town - open roads

More and more, my social relationships are defined and shaped by the internet. i know more about a lot of folks here on ETS than I do about neighbors two doors down the street.

I hope your volunteering will bear fruit. Not that all my volunteering resulted in absolutely wonderful experiences - we had our share of SAR operations that were trivial and dumb - but I can honestly say that I have never regretted stepping forward.

#278425 - 01/02/16 03:22 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: hikermor]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: hikermor
city dwelling - crowded freeways

It may differ from city to city; growing up there I know how to avoid crowded freeways in Dallas.

Originally Posted By: hikermor
More and more, my social relationships are defined and shaped by the internet. i know more about a lot of folks here on ETS than I do about neighbors two doors down the street.

That goes with what I've been saying. I feel comfortable here at ETS.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278435 - 01/02/16 09:21 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

It won't get better. If it doesn't work for you, get out. Don't waste your finite years on earth. I know because I did what you're doing.

Edited by Bingley (01/02/16 09:22 PM)

#278436 - 01/02/16 10:46 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Bingley
It won't get better. If it doesn't work for you, get out. Don't waste your finite years on earth. I know because I did what you're doing.

I can't get out. Mom loves it here and she has to take care of her basket-case daughter [me]. The fact I rake the leaves helps her.

Synagogue was great today. Mom and I have been there for more than a year and today was the first time we were selected for the blessing over the bread and the wine [grape juice]. Rabbi Alfredo spoke today. He's the best rabbi they have. He really studies and it shows because I learn something new every time he speaks.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278437 - 01/02/16 11:46 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

JI: does your shul have any study groups? You know, Talmud, contemporary studies in Judaism, book club? It could be a social intro, as well as an outlet for your obvious intelligence? How about social interaction on a romantic level? Just because you are dealing with some challenges doesn't mean you can't find love or at least companionship. Good luck!

#278438 - 01/03/16 01:32 AM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: acropolis5]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: acropolis5
JI: does your shul have any study groups? You know, Talmud, contemporary studies in Judaism, book club? It could be a social intro, as well as an outlet for your obvious intelligence?

Yes but Mom and I don't attend. For a few weeks we did oneg; none of the other members talked to us. The fact Mom and I were chosen for the blessing over the bread and the wine is an indication we are finally being accepted . . . after being there for more than a year. I study at home and sometimes Mom and I listen to a teaching CD to and from synagogue.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278444 - 01/03/16 01:28 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Have you ever tried or thought about writing fiction? Short stories, fan fiction, whatever. . .for example, maybe you could take your online RPG character and write stories about that character and that character's world.

#278446 - 01/03/16 02:33 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

I do write fiction. To make it more interesting, the story I wrote for setting up the post apocalyptic world, and introducing my second player character, is a murder mystery.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278714 - 01/10/16 04:22 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
That does not sound like a very welcoming congregation.
My freshman year college project was to attend all 26 churches in my town. I found the Unitarians to be the most welcoming--and tolerant of MY beliefs--of them all.

You might find the people at

http://www.uufmc.org/

better fit your needs, in spite of the diversity of their beliefs.
I only searched Ocala, you may have one closer.

Edit: Scheduling shouldn't interfere with Temple, either :-)

Edited by UncleGoo (01/10/16 04:24 PM)

#278719 - 01/10/16 08:12 PM Re: Surviving a Small City [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

I've been here nearly two years. I'm not going to find what I'm looking for in this town.

I have my doll collection. I recently added Samantha.

http://www.americangirl.com/shop/dolls/samantha

I have this forum. It's educational and I'm having fun here. When discussing something as serious as WW III, I have to add some humor to lighten the mood. You are a great group of guys and gals.

There are certain movies I love, ones that bring me to tears because I'm so happy for a character. Being happy for someone else is a great feeling. Let me give three examples:

I was so happy for Vanellope in Wreck-It Ralph. Vanellope was a homeless game sprite living in a kart-racing game. It was her dream to be a racer. At the end of the movie that sprite's dream of being a racer comes true when her avatar is added to the racing roster.

In Saving Mr. Banks, inspired by the true story of P. L. Travers, author of Mary Poppins, Travers had a tragic childhood. At the end of Saving Mr. Banks, Travers finally gets the happy ending to her tragic childhood.

In Meet the Robinsons, I'm once again in tears because I'm so happy for Lewis a twelve-year-old orphan who, at the end of the movie, finds his family. As viewers watch the movie we are lead to believe Lewis is to be adopted by the Robinsons, the coolest family this twelve-year-old inventor could ever dream of. Disney plays the shell game and gives Lewis, and the audience, an even happier ending.

Are there movies in which you are in tears because you are so happy for a character? If so, what movie is it?

Jeanette Isabelle

Edited by Jeanette_Isabelle (01/11/16 02:17 PM)
Edit Reason: Edited for clarification.

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 295 Guests and 21 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.