The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#278642 - 01/08/16 02:58 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
boatman Offline
Addict

Loc: Michigan
I have seen something called rain chaps.You can put on your poncho and then the chaps remaining fairly dry.I feel the chaps would offer better venting.I plan on getting a pair to go with my GI issue poncho. The versatility of a poncho ranks up there with a bandana.The military issued Gortex suits and now issues a small tarp to take the ponchos place. The poncho is a multi tasker (thank you Alton Brown).A rain suit is just a rain suit....

BOATMAN
John

#278648 - 01/08/16 06:03 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
About a decade ago I paid for a couple pairs of Walls rain suits for me and the wife. They felt kinda like nylon, and they worked really well up at the fishing hole in early spring, or out on the trail, or riding the bike. well fitting, reasonably quiet, light yet durable. I still have my pair. The wife gave hers away. Then we moved up here to Alaska and she needed some more, so I bought her some tyvek like frog togs as Costco and she wore them a couple times and then gave them away. Not that she didn't like them. She just didn't use them and wanted room in the closet for her other things. I bought her a $5 umbrella a few months ago so when it rains and she has to go out in it she can stay a little dry if she wants.

Meanwhile, the Walls still fit. I bought an Eddie Bauer rain shell a few years ago when I was in Portland OR and needed something quick. It was on sale and fit well and looked good. I still wear it as an over coat once in a while. I also have a London Fog raincoat for more formal wear that I've had for 20+ years. It looks good, is slightly insulated with a zip-out wool liner, and works just fine. When we go out somewhere nice and I get dressed up, if it is cold and wet I will wear that.

At least the kid appreciates good rain gear, although now that she's down in Tucson, she doesn't need it so much. Well, maybe lately moreso.

#278656 - 01/08/16 03:33 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
hikermor, we've gone to nearly 100% non-cotton for our outdoor activities, we have lots of the under-armor type base layers, synthetic undies, and fleece tops. We'll also have our boy scout and other synthetic shorts to wear. I'm hoping the april weather will cooperate, if it doesn't we'll both have to rely on our 60/40 ripstop blend pants (i.e. if it's too cold for shorts). Not optimal, but best we've come up with so far (don't ask about the removable leg portion of the boy scout shorts, lets just say DW is NOT the seamstress she thought she was lol)

Edited by Mark_F (01/08/16 04:04 PM)

#278657 - 01/08/16 03:36 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Treeseeker]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

awesome, thanks treeseeker, sorry I missed your informative post there

#278658 - 01/08/16 03:45 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the info leigh, but I do have a couple of questions about that:

1) Doesn't a poncho need to be made a certain way to be used as a shelter? This is really not an issue here as my shelter will be provided via a hammock and rain fly but was just curious.

2) I think someone mentioned somewhere that if a poncho is used as a groundsheet, and then needs to be used as rain gear there might be an issue with mud and such on the poncho? I can't recall if it affected the poncho performance or if was just the inconvenience of having to wear muddy rain gear. Yeah, I know what harm is there from a little mud here or there right? But at any rate, I have a 5 by 7 tarp to use as ground cloth anyway, it's fairly lightweight and packs down nice and small too. Still, If I could leave it out and replace it with the poncho ... hmmmm. The main use I have for this item is to have a spot under the hammock where i can place my gear and take off my shoes, and also cover up said items in the event it rains.

I'd really like to know more about this

#278659 - 01/08/16 03:48 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: boatman]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

thanks boatman, I'll have to look into the rain chaps, any links you could share?

#278660 - 01/08/16 04:04 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: benjammin]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the info ben, I carry an umbrella during the week, I have to park down the street and walk to the office, so in the mornings I have the umbrella in the truck for the walk to the office, and can use it and stay dry if it's raining. I carry it to the office even if it's not raining, in case it's raining when I leave the office and I can use it to stay dry on the walk back to the truck.

Unfortunately I doubt the umbrella would be as convenient or useful on the trail lol

#278662 - 01/08/16 04:15 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
If a poncho has grommets or tie strings at the corners and maybe at a few spots along the edges, it will make a perfectly fine shelter. For many years as a starving student, i backpacked with a standard GI poncho as my shelter and it worked just fine, being in many ways more versatile (and cheaper) than a tent. Do carry assorted lengths of cordage and learn your knots.

It is always a good idea to keep the poncho clean and these days including a thin painter's tarp or thin space blanket solves that problem. In order to avoid pcking around excess dirt, I will use a space blanket groundsheet beneath a tent, as well. They have been surprisingly durable.

#278675 - 01/08/16 09:39 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
If a poncho has grommets or tie strings at the corners and maybe at a few spots along the edges, it will make a perfectly fine shelter.... Do carry assorted lengths of cordage and learn your knots.

I use my ponchos for shelters and love the convenience of that. (It took a little while to get used to not sleeping in a tent and now I have a hard time the other way around. LOL!) Grommets are great, and better quality ponchos seem to have more (and better) of them, but you can do without. Just use a rock as a button, and loop your tie-out around it. Works great on blown-out grommets too! wink As hikermor says, bring cordage and know your knots!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 411 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.