Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#278604 - 01/06/16 09:42 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Herman30]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Herman30
Originally Posted By: Mark_F
A previous has led me to consider something like this to cover both me and my pack.

I have that snugpak poncho. Very good for a poncho and the fact that it is closed at the sides makes it not flap in the wind as much as a regular poncho.

But it is not absolutely totally waterproof. It will get wet on the inside with any rain that is heavier than a drizzle. Not a nice feeling if you are only wearing a t-shirt and the wet sleeves stick to the arms. But that being said, it will keep the rain out. Only some of the moisture will seep through.

My advert bar on facebook keeps showing me this poncho. Maybe it's a sign?! LOL!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278608 - 01/07/16 09:19 AM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Herman, are you saying the rain soaks through the poncho fabric?

Yes, that is my experience that it soaks through the fabric.
It is made of something called Paratex Dry.

http://www.snugpak.com/technical-information#tech_2

Quote:
100% Waterproof with a Hydro Static Head in Excess of 5000mm (Items with a Hydrostatic Head over 1500mm are generally considered waterproof)
Only ever used in fully taped seamed systems.
Ripstop Weave
Lightweight
Tough
Breathable (will transmit upto 7.5 litres of moisture per m2 per 24 hours)
Soft to the touch
Completely Windproof (trapping and stopping the movement of warm air in the sleeping bag or Garment)
Outer Fabric treated with a Durable Water Repellant. (water repellancy can be maintained by a cool tumble dry after washing and periodic retreatment with suitable after care products such as Nikwax or Grangers)
Completely manufactured within Europe (Extruded, Woven and Dyed & Finished)

I gues it is that "breathable" part that makes it to allow some moisture to seep through.

#278610 - 01/07/16 05:36 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
BacPacJac,

It is not cheap, but you can't go wrong with Gore-Tex. I have a 20-something year old Gore-Tex parka that has never leaked--even in torrential downpours.

I also have a newer (but still old) ultra-light rain jacket by LL Bean that doesn't list the name of the membrane lining inside the jacket. It has never leaked either. This is probably 15 years old. The newer LL Bean raingear has a ceramic coating and they have a whole line of options. I highly recommend getting something with pit zippers for ventilation. I also like the ultra-lights because if you get something with insulation, you will often be too hot and start to sweat. With an ultra-lite you can add insulation or not. Make sure you get it large enough to wear a layer underneath it. LL Bean jackets are a little large just for this reason.

The great thing about LL Bean is that everything is guaranteed, period. And they have free shipping. The downside is you don't get to try things on before buying (well, unless you go to Maine), but you can return and exchange and the shipping both ways is on them. Hmm, maybe you have an import tax since you are in Canada?

I have no relationship with LL Bean other than being a very happy customer.

Ponchos can be nice too. There are special backpacker ponchos that are longer in the back so they can cover the pack and still reach your knees. As mentioned before they can also be used as rain flies and ground covers. And, of course, they will keep your pack nice and dry. If you have the time and the funds, maybe you could make test hikes in the rain with each.

----------------
Herman,

Breathable, does not mean that they have to leak. Some products use breathable waterproof fabrics but then don't seal the seams (I can't imagine why), or maybe it was just part of a bad batch of material. To make sure it was not sweat you were experiencing, you can confirm that it is leaking by draping some of the jacket over a clear glass bowl, and pouring some water on it. If it is leaking it will be easy to see through the bowl.

Breathable fabrics may also leak after being washed with soap and not well rinsed. The soap residue will reduce the surface tension of the water which allows it to penetrate the small pores of the lining. This is why you should use a soap specifically for waterproof fabrics.

#278614 - 01/07/16 05:57 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: clearwater]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Clearwater, thankfully I'm here in kentucky, so I don't have those conditions to deal with.

What I really need in the way of rain gear is a way to keep myself and the pack dry in the event we get a shower or two while on the trail. As we get closer to the date I'll know more about whether to expect clear weather, a chance of a pop up shower or two, or a wet, rain soaked weekend. I suspect that is true of any such outing.

I currently have the frogg toggs jacket and pants as previously linked to, and my pack has it's own rain cover, but as I mentioned, I've read and been told by many that the pack rain covers can and do fail. As far as the pack goes, that can be easily resolved by waterproofing and drybagging everything in the pack. However, I'm also concerned that the rain jacket and pants combo will be a pain to deal with on the trail. If it were just me I could take the time to stop and put them on, but as there will likely be a fairly large group of scouts and leaders, that may not be an option, which is why I am thinking the poncho to cover everything might be a better option. Just pull it out, put it on, and keep moving on.

As far as the rain gear goes, it's really a just in case option in my opinion, as I'm really hoping for reasonably dry conditions, but as this is a rain or shine event, I have to be prepared for it.

#278615 - 01/07/16 06:00 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Tom_L]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Thanks for the tips Tom, I hope my hiking boots will be waterproof enough to fit the bill. If not, I'll be wearing a thin liner sock under wool blend hiking socks.

#278616 - 01/07/16 06:03 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

If you visited the link I posted then that's why BPJ, I keep getting that too, I think it's part of Facebook's advertising, they can tell by your cookies or history what links and products you've been to and pop up ads related to them. I get it all the time, it was compasses, then it was sleeping bags, and now it's the rain gear lol

#278617 - 01/07/16 06:06 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Herman30]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

thanks for the info herman

if that's the case, then it looks like I'll have to choose between breathable or waterproof.

I suspect I'll probably go with that snugpak poncho, and when the event comes, if we expect heavy rains I'll do as clearwate suggested and double up with the poncho AND the frogg toggs, hopefully the combination will keep me dry, or at least dryer anyway.

#278618 - 01/07/16 06:09 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Whatever mode you choose and whatever you are wearing, don't expect to remain bone dry - keep a dry change of clothes and your sleeping bag nice and dry deep within your pack. Between rain and perspiration, you will be at least damp. Water finds a way....

just be sure you are not wearing cotton for your innermost layer. Some sort of wicking fabric really works well in rainy situations.

#278619 - 01/07/16 06:10 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
Mark,

Quote:
if that's the case, then it looks like I'll have to choose between breathable or waterproof.

No you don't. See my previous post in this thread.

#278631 - 01/07/16 10:35 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
A previous rain gear thread is approaching the 2 year old mark and with BPJ and I preparing for hikes in the future it seems prudent to start a new discussion with that in mind.

I had originally planned on using my current rain gear, a frogg toggs pant and coat (as recomended by hikermor in the previous thread above) along with the rain cover for the backpack. However, I've seen several mentions of pack rain covers failing and that, combined with the (relative) inconvenience of jacket and pants has led me to consider something like this to cover both me a of what nd my pack. Something like this looks like it would be an easy option while backpacking.

Standard disclaimrs apply, no affiliations with companies or products.

I was wondering if there were other maybe better options available? Thanks in advance.

Ponchos have the great merit of being multi use. Rain gear (goes over everything), shelter, groundsheet. Use only limited by your imagination.
Regardless of what else you buy, put a poncho and some cordage in your bag.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (01/07/16 10:35 PM)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 353 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 11:47 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
Yesterday at 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.