Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#278556 - 01/05/16 11:20 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
Herman30 Offline
Addict

Loc: Finland
Originally Posted By: Mark_F
A previous has led me to consider something like this to cover both me and my pack.

I have that snugpak poncho. Very good for a poncho and the fact that it is closed at the sides makes it not flap in the wind as much as a regular poncho.

But it is not absolutely totally waterproof. It will get wet on the inside with any rain that is heavier than a drizzle. Not a nice feeling if you are only wearing a t-shirt and the wet sleeves stick to the arms. But that being said, it will keep the rain out. Only some of the moisture will seep through.

#278587 - 01/06/16 06:29 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Hmmm, so BPJ, perhaps a combo of the poncho and the frogg toggs rain pants? Or just stick with my original plan to use the frogg toggs rain gear, use the pack's built in rain cover in addition to dry-sacking/bagging/boxing critical items inside the pack as well?

#278588 - 01/06/16 06:33 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

I've had a lot of positive experience with various military surplus ponchos. My ex-German army poncho (green rubberized type) has accompanied me on a good many outdoor treks over the past 15 years, still going strong. It's absolutely waterproof and can be used to make a very decent lean-to (or equivalent) shelter.

Wearing a poncho in a warm climate gets hot quick, so you will sweat a fair bit after a while. Especially on a hard trek with a lot of physical exertion. Though it's no worse in that department than a rain jacket or anorak in my experience - those things tend to be even hotter because there's less ventilation.

As noted above, a poncho will not protect your legs very effectively, particularly if you're a tall guy like me. One solution is to wear waterproof pants or leggings, but I prefer gaiters instead. Works well for me.

I have not really used commercial ponchos much myself, but I've noticed the ones used by some of my friends (I think one of them actually has that Snugpack poncho) aren't quite as waterproof as the inexpensive military surplus stuff.

#278592 - 01/06/16 07:11 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Hmmm, so BPJ, perhaps a combo of the poncho and the frogg toggs rain pants? Or just stick with my original plan to use the frogg toggs rain gear, use the pack's built in rain cover in addition to dry-sacking/bagging/boxing critical items inside the pack as well?

Great idea Mark! I do need a good new rain jacket though, for fishing at least. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278593 - 01/06/16 08:03 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: hikermor]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Good point hikermor, and to that point I have spoken to someone who hikes the trail regularly. He mentioned the same things you did, his exact words were:

On trails that aren't trimmed back well, ponchos can be a pain because they catch on everything. On well maintained wide trails, they provide good coverage and ventilation (as long as it isn't very windy).

He added that on the trail we'll be hiking in April ...

You should be fine with a poncho ...

Doing more research but a poncho appears to be a promising option, with the pants maybe as backup if it gets bad

#278595 - 01/06/16 08:04 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Herman30]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Herman, are you saying the rain soaks through the poncho fabric? or the wet just finds it's way in?

#278596 - 01/06/16 08:07 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Tom_L]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Tom I'm about 6'3" so I'm considering a poncho/rain pants combo (but what about the boots/feet?)

#278597 - 01/06/16 08:08 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: bacpacjac]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Don't know about a great idea BPJ, just something i'm considering. Whichever way I decide to go I sure hope it works

#278599 - 01/06/16 08:24 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
I have been know to double up rain gear along the rainy coast.

Once i used old goretex rain pants as my regular pants with light rubber bibs over.

Condensation was trapped in between the layers and I was quite comfortable. We were not hiking where there was a lot of elevation gain tho. so we weren't overheating but we were in inch+ per hour rains.

I have also been known to bring a poncho and jacket and pants. Then I had different options for wind, brush, ventilation and I used the poncho as a vestibule for my tent to cook under at times.

Frog Toggs are cheap and light and breathable. They make ponchos and whole suits. Maybe jacket, pants and poncho. Still might be lighter than a heavy duty rain suit.

Edited by clearwater (01/06/16 08:32 PM)

#278603 - 01/06/16 09:20 PM Re: Rain Gear [Re: Mark_F]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Tom I'm about 6'3" so I'm considering a poncho/rain pants combo (but what about the boots/feet?)

We're about the same height then. Rain pants should do the trick - or gaiters alternatively, if you decide to go that route. Wear rain pants over the boots to keep your feet dry.

Either way, good water repellent footwear is essential, preferably with a Goretex membrane. Pretty much any sturdy hiking boots should fit the bill. I'm somewhat partial to Meindl, but it's a fairly expensive brand. There are many good choices available on the market.

For summer hikes, I really like my ex-British army desert boots ("Soldier 2000" pattern). Bought a pair in as-new condition 8 years ago in London for a measly sum of 20 pounds, still going strong. Reasonably cool in hot weather, excellent fit (for my feet at least - this is a highly individual thing) and totally waterproof. I've even worn them in snow - in fact, I'm wearing them daily when commuting to work these days, no problems whatsoever.

For hardcore trekking though, I'd stick with a well fitting par of hiking boots, at least ankle height. And make sure to wear the right kind of socks. Something like wool or polypropylene, that will keep you reasonably warm even if your boots turn out to be less waterproof than expected.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 456 Guests and 71 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.