Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#278577 - 01/06/16 02:34 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
"We are here to understand why you feel you need to have so many flashlights.

"No, we don't give out free flashlights in this place."

"Again, with the implication that there's a psychological need. I've explained the actual uses. Thanks for the chat, good meeting everyone, I've gotta go find that Surefire event." Chaosmagnet gets up, shoulders his backpack, and moves towards the exit.

#278578 - 01/06/16 02:56 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: chaosmagnet]
Jeanette_Isabelle Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
"Again, with the implication that there's a psychological need. I've explained the actual uses. Thanks for the chat, good meeting everyone, I've gotta go find that Surefire event." Chaosmagnet gets up, shoulders his backpack, and moves towards the exit.

"Chaos magnet, before you go," the MAG-LITE girl asks, "what is the runtime of the Titan Plus?"

"Jeanette," Dr. Ross says, "we are here to reduce our dependence on flashlights."

"My second MAG-LITE has a runtime of eighty hours. I want to know if there is a more efficient flashlight."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278579 - 01/06/16 03:11 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
... "Russ, I can't help you if you are unwilling to change." ...

Thanks, I just came for the coffee. [walks to the back of the room to freshen his cup]

I am willing to change as long as things actually improve, but fewer lights is not necessarily an improvement. I'm not sure why folks think I need help with my flashlight addiction; when I look around the room I see a need to catch up. smile

That said, I'll be retiring my Fenix L2T soon. I have a Surefire 6P clone with 650 lumen LED that will fill the coyote spotting role. I'm keeping the Fenix L1D, but since the Thrunite TN12 can cover both Low and High output requirements, it will serve as back-up for both of the other lights. So I'll be down to three lights for my morning walks. See, change is good.

The coffee is good too, who made this ... oh, yeah, that would be me cool

#278581 - 01/06/16 03:33 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Jeanette follows Russ to the coffee. Before she pours herself a cup of Joe, she turns to Chaosmagnet. "Want some coffee before you leave?"

She helps herself to the decaffeinated coffee and fixes it they way she likes it: extra cream, no sugar.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278582 - 01/06/16 03:53 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Online   content
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
"what is the runtime of the Titan Plus?"

"Jeanette," Dr. Ross says, "we are here to reduce our dependence on flashlights."

"My second MAG-LITE has a runtime of eighty hours. I want to know if there is a more efficient flashlight."

Chaosmagnet stops and waits through this exchange. "The Titan Plus is a keyring flashlight topping out at 300 lumens. On low mode it runs only for seven hours, so not as impressive as it might be in that department."

Quote:
"Want some coffee before you leave?"

Chaosmagnet smiles. "No, thank you, I come pre-caffeinated."

#278583 - 01/06/16 04:09 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Jeanette nods in response to Chaosmagnet's latest comment and looks to Russ. "I really don't see a need to catch up simply because others have more flashlights. I'm not saying this because I have three flashlights. If we were talking about first aid kits, some may say I'm a bit obsessive; that's because building first aid kits is a hobby of mine."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278584 - 01/06/16 05:11 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

That's a subjective judgement; the need to acquire more flashlights is not determined by others having more flashlights, but it does tend to imply that I may not have a flashlight addiction. I'm not seeing the number of lights I have as a problem and I may continue to get additional lights.

#278598 - 01/06/16 08:24 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Jeanette thinks about what Russ said. "Three flashlights may not be considered a problem according to your logic." She approaches the group with her cup of coffee. "Doctor, briefly you focused on my MAG-LITE PRO. May I ask why?"

"You said you bought the MAG-LITE PRO for no other reason than because Mag Instruments was discontinuing the MAG-LITE PRO." Dr. Ross answers. "Did you feel you would miss out if you did not hurry up and get the MAG-LITE PRO?"

"Yes." Jeanette answers.

"Have you been in a situation where you missed out on an opportunity because, for whatever the reason, the timing did not work out for you?"

"Yes." Jeanette answers.

"You didn't like that feeling, did you?"

"I didn't."

"You made sure you'd never miss out on an opportunity again. Did the MAG-LITE PRO satisfy your expectations?"

"Not really. It was a bit of a let down."

"Are you willing to let go of it?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"Doctor, we're not talking a plastic flashlight from a dollar store that may or may not work. This is a MAG-LITE. As evident by my first MAG-LITE, the lamp will stay on even as it bounces on the concrete."

"So you place value on it?"

"Yes, of course. If you want to buy it from me at fair market value, you can have it. Or, if I know someone who really needs a flashlight, he or she can have it. I'm not tossing it away as if it were some $1 disposable flashlight." Jeanette returns to resume her conversation with Russ. "For the sake of discussion, I have two flashlights. As the doc put it, I still have my first MAG-LITE because I'm holding onto an accident that happened years ago. Therefore, a person may have an issue with as little as two flashlights so numbers really don't mean much."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278600 - 01/06/16 08:28 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Russ]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: Russ
Let's see... The light on my belt is primary for bagging the poop -- I can hold it in my teeth freeing both hands; the other 1xAA is back-up.

Then there's coyotes and at times at the coyotes discretion they visit the park in the dark. I like a light with reach to see them and now that I think about it, that's a critical function so it needs a back-up too. So I'd say four lights would be minimum and since I dislike accepting minimums, five.

Outside of the "Stories" bounds: IMO, 5 are needed because there is no single ideal flashlight for everyone and everything has been produced so far. But see my 3D printing thread for a possible solution I'm researching. However, I would disagree on a mandatory EDC flashlight backups. A good EDC flashlight should not require a backup. It must be virtually indestructible and warn the user about its power source depletion well in advance (or allow quick and easy battery replacement with an EDC or widely available spare - that's what I prefer; I plan to make a shell for my EDC 1xAA with the spare AA compartment integrated).

#278601 - 01/06/16 08:37 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Okaaaay... Since I have no problem carrying four flashlights, I certainly don't see an issue with someone having two or three. If someone has a single light that fills all their needs I'm okay with that, it's a subjective call.

OTOH, if you decide to purchase a fourth Mag-Lite or a light from Fenix, 4Sevens, Nitecore, Thrunite or one of the many other quality lights on the market, I would not think it unusual for you to either keep the Mag-Lite for use or box it up and store it away (just in case). IMO you don't have a flashlight problem. I'm not sure any of us have a flashlight "problem".

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.