The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#278563 - 01/06/16 01:27 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
During the therapy session, Jeanette gets an automated call reminding her of her psychiatric appointment. After she puts away her cell phone, she gets another automated call telling her she won a free cruise to the Bahamas. She hangs up.

If the robot caller said she won a free railway excursion, she would have accepted it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278564 - 01/06/16 01:34 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Yeah, I hear ya, I take three flashlights dog walking. One 1xAA Fenix on my belt, an 1xAA 4Sevens Mini in my front right pocket and a 2xAA light with more throw in my jacket or vest. Recently I added an 18650 Thrulite TN12 to test. Now I may be taking four lights. It's nice to have options and spares. smile

"Russ. Just how many functions and spares do you need to walk your dog?"

Jeanette Isabelle

#278566 - 01/06/16 01:45 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Let's see... The light on my belt is primary for bagging the poop -- I can hold it in my teeth freeing both hands; the other 1xAA is back-up.

Then there's coyotes and at times at the coyotes discretion they visit the park in the dark. I like a light with reach to see them and now that I think about it, that's a critical function so it needs a back-up too. So I'd say four lights would be minimum and since I dislike accepting minimums, five.

#278567 - 01/06/16 02:21 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
"Chaosmagnet, minutes ago you quietly expressed that you feel you shouldn't be here. Now you state you have as many flashlights on your person as Miss Jeanette has total. Why do you feel you need three flashlights on your person?"

Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor quizzically. "I didn't say I needed any of them." He draws a short black cylinder from one pocket. "This one runs up to seven days on low and over 900 lumens on high. In addition to using it at work I train to use it with a handgun in low light shooting situations."

The short black cylinder goes back in the pocket, and out comes a keyring from a different pocket. Chaosmagnet indicates a shorter, thinner, greyish silver cylinder hanging from the keyring. "This one is a backup. Once, during a tornado, the lights went out and my daughter started to cry. Because I had a backup flashlight with me I was able to leave her with a light so she'd be less scared, while I collected her younger sister to get her to the tornado shelter."

The keyring goes back in the pocket, and from his backpack a small oblong device is withdrawn. "This is handy for finding things in my backpack, or for leaving on in a very low mode while staying in a hotel, which I do frequently for work. It wasn't that long ago that the hotel I was staying in caught fire while I was sleeping -- this light guided me to my pants, shoes and other things so that I could get out of the hotel quickly and safely."

Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor levelly. "I don't need any of these, but I have found them quite useful. I like to be equipped appropriately for adverse events."

#278571 - 01/06/16 07:57 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
on canoe trips i have several flash lights.a small LED on a
cord attached to my shirt pocket button hole.thats the light
to find a light.another is a Pal light,one of those 9 volt jobs
in a rubber case that runs with a dim glow even when off.that go's
in the net pouch in the tent where i keep my glasses and bear spray so i can find them fast in the dark.a head lamp of course and a $9 three AAA's by Dorcy that i got at a bait shop just before
i pushed off on a trip last year,oops thats four.that AAA job throws a better beam than the lamp i used 30 years ago with the
huge square battery.
oh ya there is the candle lamp and a small Gaz lamp.you never
have enough light alone in bear country!!!

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/06/16 07:58 AM)

#278572 - 01/06/16 01:07 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Russ]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Russ
Let's see... The light on my belt is primary for bagging the poop -- I can hold it in my teeth freeing both hands; the other 1xAA is back-up.

Then there's coyotes and at times at the coyotes discretion they visit the park in the dark. I like a light with reach to see them and now that I think about it, that's a critical function so it needs a back-up too. So I'd say four lights would be minimum and since I dislike accepting minimums, five.

"Russ, I can't help you if you are unwilling to change."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278573 - 01/06/16 01:23 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor quizzically. "I didn't say I needed any of them." He draws a short black cylinder from one pocket. "This one runs up to seven days on low and over 900 lumens on high. In addition to using it at work I train to use it with a handgun in low light shooting situations."

The short black cylinder goes back in the pocket, and out comes a keyring from a different pocket. Chaosmagnet indicates a shorter, thinner, greyish silver cylinder hanging from the keyring. "This one is a backup. Once, during a tornado, the lights went out and my daughter started to cry. Because I had a backup flashlight with me I was able to leave her with a light so she'd be less scared, while I collected her younger sister to get her to the tornado shelter."

The keyring goes back in the pocket, and from his backpack a small oblong device is withdrawn. "This is handy for finding things in my backpack, or for leaving on in a very low mode while staying in a hotel, which I do frequently for work. It wasn't that long ago that the hotel I was staying in caught fire while I was sleeping -- this light guided me to my pants, shoes and other things so that I could get out of the hotel quickly and safely."

Chaosmagnet looks at the doctor levelly. "I don't need any of these, but I have found them quite useful. I like to be equipped appropriately for adverse events."

"I'm glad to hear you say you don't need them. Nevertheless, you do have three flashlights on your person and you go into why find each of them useful."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278574 - 01/06/16 01:40 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
"I'm glad to hear you say you don't need them. Nevertheless, you do have three flashlights on your person and you go into why find each of them useful."

"The way you asked the question, I thought you were asking me what my psychological need was for the flashlights.

"Maybe I'm in the wrong room. I was told that Surefire was going to be here and the first ten people would get a free Titan Plus."

#278575 - 01/06/16 01:42 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
on canoe trips i have several flash lights.a small LED on a
cord attached to my shirt pocket button hole.thats the light
to find a light.another is a Pal light,one of those 9 volt jobs
in a rubber case that runs with a dim glow even when off.that go's
in the net pouch in the tent where i keep my glasses and bear spray so i can find them fast in the dark.a head lamp of course and a $9 three AAA's by Dorcy that i got at a bait shop just before
i pushed off on a trip last year,oops thats four.that AAA job throws a better beam than the lamp i used 30 years ago with the
huge square battery.
oh ya there is the candle lamp and a small Gaz lamp.you never
have enough light alone in bear country!!!

"What I'm hearing is you need a light to find a light which is used to find yet another light. Plus you have fourth flashlight because you take trips in bear country. You are obviously getting something out of going into bear country. Otherwise you wouldn't be doing it."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278576 - 01/06/16 01:51 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
"The way you asked the question, I thought you were asking me what my psychological need was for the flashlights.

"Maybe I'm in the wrong room. I was told that Surefire was going to be here and the first ten people would get a free Titan Plus."

"We are here to understand why you feel you need to have so many flashlights.

"No, we don't give out free flashlights in this place."

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 3 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 460 Guests and 72 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.