The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#278509 - 01/05/16 01:23 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Hmmm, 25 to 30 lights? I really don't belong here -- yet. I've got some serious catching up to do wink

#278515 - 01/05/16 03:54 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Russ]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Russ
Hmmm, 25 to 30 lights? I really don't belong here -- yet. I've got some serious catching up to do wink

"Do you believe, that because you don't as many flashlights as someone else, you are not a flashalcoholic? And you believe you need to catch up with someone who has consumed more flashlights as apposed to getting help?"

Jeanette raises her hand.

"Yes, Jeanette?" Dr. Ross responds.

Jeanette puts her hand down. "When I was nineteen, I sat down with a nationally recognized expert in dissociative disorders. Not only does he have the same last name as you, what I'm seeing now is a lot like what I experienced then. Dissociation is called a 'disorder' when in actuality the mind protects the person from painful experiences."

"We're drifting; I'll address your comment. Patients with dissociative disorders have trouble functioning in society."

"Doctor, I know this session is about addictions to flashlights. Using myself as an example, I bought a MAG-LITE PRO for no other reason than because Mag Instrument Inc. was discontinuing the MAG-LITE PRO. To address your reply, I do know some people with dissociative behaviors have trouble functioning in society; from my perspective I function better when my mind is protecting me from nightmares and painful emotions. By 2010 I had thought the other Dr. Ross and Dr. Gotway had completely messed with my mind. I would be washing dishes one moment and the next I would be on the kitchen floor crying and I experienced nightmares as recent as 2014, all of them were about the same person. I believe now my dissociative mind is doing its job again. Last night I rented the movie Meet the Robinsons and for the first time in years I cried tears of joy at the end of the movie. I cried because I was happy for the protagonist. It's a wonderful feeling. I don't understand why that needs to be 'fixed.'" Jeanette retrieves her MAG-LITE, stands up and proudly shows the scratch marks on it. "It was the day after my twenty-first birthday. It was a warm afternoon in January so I thought I didn't need a jacket. I attended a bridal shower. That night my youngest sister and I cleaned up. The trash needed to be taken out and it was dark so I brought my flashlight. I opened the door. It was cold. I ran with the bag of trash in one hand and my flashlight in the other. I threw the bag of trash into the dumpster and ran back to the building where it's warm. As I was running on the sidewalk to get out of the cold ASAP, my foot hits a crack and this MAG-LITE flies out of my hand and hits the concrete." Jeanette cringes as she tells her story. "My right knee is the first to hit the concrete. Next my left knee hits the concrete and slides. Not only did I put two holes in a nice pair of black slacks, I was on the sidewalk in so much pain I thought I had broken something. The fact it was cold suddenly did not matter as much. As soon as I was able to move my legs, I determined I did not break anything. My youngest sister helps me back in the building where I use my modified first aid kit to do a little first aid. During the entire time, the lamp stayed on. So you see Doc, this MAG-LITE holds a special significance. Both of us suffered the same punishment but this MAG-LITE continued to shine."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278533 - 01/05/16 05:25 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
[Comes running into the meeting, late as usual]

Hi everyone

[sheepishly realizes he forgot to remove his headlamp before stepping into the room]

#278545 - 01/05/16 09:43 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Mark_F]
Craig_Thompson Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SE PA United States
[Craig raises his hand]
My name is Craig.
Should I be here?
If I am dressed there is a flashlight in my pocket.
Every Christmas I give my sister a flashlight of some sort.
And she gives me one.
We have a little mantra "He who dies with the most flashlights wins."
I guess I will stay here a while.
I suppose she should be here too.

#278554 - 01/05/16 11:13 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Carpal Tunnel

Dr. Ross looks at Jeanette who is clearly no stranger to psychology. "You said you bought a MAG-LITE PRO for no other reason than because Mag Instrument Inc. was discontinuing the MAG-LITE PRO. Would you be willing to let go of your MAG-LITE PRO?"

"I certainly would not throw away a perfectly good flashlight." Jeanette answers.

"Would you let it go for a good cause?" Dr. Ross continues.

Jeanette thinks about the question. "If I knew it was for a good cause, I would."

"Including the MAG-LITE PRO and the MAG-LITE you're holding in your hand, how many flashlights do you own?"

"Three." Jeanette answers.

"In the order in which you acquired your current flashlights, which is the MAG-LITE you are currently holding?"

"Among my current flashlights, this is the first." Jeanette answers.

"The MAG-LITE PRO?"

"That is my latest." Jeanette answers.

"What is your other flashlight, which would be your second?"

"It is a MAG-LITE 3-Cell D LED."

"You already had a MAG-LITE, the one you're holding in hand, why did you need a second MAG-LITE?"

"It had a run time of eighty hours. Eighty hours, at the same brightness level as the 2-Cell version, is very efficient. In terms of operation cost, I'm getting a good deal."

"Having acquired your second MAG-LITE, a flashlight so efficient you're getting a lot of bang for your buck in terms of operation cost, why keep your first MAG-LITE?"

Jeanette looks the doctor in the eyes and answers with a very matter-of-fact tone. "It holds a special significance."

"Why does it hold a special significance?"

"The lamp stayed on even after it flew out of my hand and bounced on the concrete."

"There's a reason you are holding to that accident but that is something that goes beyond the scope of this session."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278557 - 01/05/16 11:58 PM Re: Random Stories [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Chaosmagnet mutters, "I have three flashlights on my person."

#278558 - 01/06/16 12:30 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: chaosmagnet]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Yeah, I hear ya, I take three flashlights dog walking. One 1xAA Fenix on my belt, an 1xAA 4Sevens Mini in my front right pocket and a 2xAA light with more throw in my jacket or vest. Recently I added an 18650 Thrulite TN12 to test. Now I may be taking four lights. It's nice to have options and spares. smile

#278560 - 01/06/16 12:54 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Mark_F]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mark_F
[Comes running into the meeting, late as usual]

Hi everyone

[sheepishly realizes he forgot to remove his headlamp before stepping into the room]

Dr. Ross looks at Mark and points to his own forehead as an indication to Mark to remove his headlamp without bring further attention to it.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278561 - 01/06/16 01:01 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: Craig_Thompson]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Craig_Thompson
[Craig raises his hand]
My name is Craig.
Should I be here?
If I am dressed there is a flashlight in my pocket.
Every Christmas I give my sister a flashlight of some sort.
And she gives me one.
We have a little mantra "He who dies with the most flashlights wins."
I guess I will stay here a while.
I suppose she should be here too.

Dr. Ross acknowledges Craig. "Why do you believe life is about who has the most flashlights?"

Jeanette Isabelle

#278562 - 01/06/16 01:17 AM Re: Random Stories [Re: chaosmagnet]
Carpal Tunnel

Jeanette sits down.

Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
Chaosmagnet mutters, "I have three flashlights on my person."

"Chaosmagnet, minutes ago you quietly expressed that you feel you shouldn't be here. Now you state you have as many flashlights on your person as Miss Jeanette has total. Why do you feel you need three flashlights on your person?"

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (SRMC), 332 Guests and 70 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.