Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#278243 - 12/27/15 11:45 PM Re: Of lights, power and communications. [Re: Bingley]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Bingley
I live alone, like Jeanette.

Believe me I would not be living in a small town or anywhere in Florida, alone. I live with Mom.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278261 - 12/29/15 02:53 AM Re: Of lights, power and communications. [Re: Bingley]
Carpal Tunnel

Hey, Nomad and others, can you give us specific equipment recommendations? I've been prepping only for the 3-day model -- so that means some store-bought batteries would do.

Why only three days?

Jeanette Isabelle

#278271 - 12/29/15 10:21 AM Re: Of lights, power and communications. [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Hey, Nomad and others, can you give us specific equipment recommendations? I've been prepping only for the 3-day model -- so that means some store-bought batteries would do.

Why only three days?

Jeanette Isabelle

Because 3 days is 72 hours? smile

#278281 - 12/29/15 03:39 PM Re: Of lights, power and communications. [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: EMPnotImplyNuclear
Because 3 days is 72 hours? smile

As a result of hurricane Katrina in August of 2005, many folks started questioning whether 72 hours is long enough. 72 hours is a place to start, but there are circumstances where it would be prudent to be prepared to be on your own for a week. If you live someplace where a large scale natural disaster is likely, and New Orleans certainly qualified, as does much of suburban California and other areas subject to hurricanes and earthquakes, you need to prepare for longer. If you live where government services are notoriously poor, and New Orleans again qualified in that regard, you need to prepare for more. If you live in a very large metropolitan area where evacuation could be a real problem and infrastructure damage more severe, someplace like Los Angeles or New York for example, you need to be prepared for more. If a disaster is more likely to arrive unannounced, such as an earthquake, compared to a hurricane where advance notice is likely, you need to be prepared for more. The larger the scale of a disaster, the less time to prepare and the more people caught up in the mess, the longer it will be before government can effectively respond. You need to determine what the circumstances would likely be for you.

Realistically speaking, three months is the longest I can prepare for.

Jeanette Isabelle

#278282 - 12/29/15 03:42 PM Re: Of lights, power and communications. [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
I'm with Jeanette on this one. I keep a 96 hour kit in my truck, the house has much more.

#278304 - 12/30/15 12:52 AM Re: Of lights, power and communications. [Re: Nomad]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

some batteries, crank radio/ phone chargers, and lots of lanterns...good for 3 days

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, chaosmagnet, cliff 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 44 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.