Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >
Topic Options
#278526 - 01/05/16 01:41 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
You can get many of the items you mention in single use packets. Search for "travel size toiletries."

Deodorant and dental floss are available in single use packets.

Given she's hiking on a trail and the space and weight, deodorant may be more a luxury item. It's her call. The Flosscard I linked may work better.

Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
I haven't seen toothpaste in a single use packet, but you can get it in very small tubes. Here is a 0.6oz tube:

http://www.traveltoiletrykits.com/mm5/me...tegory_Code=ORL

The peppermint liquid castile soap will work as toothpaste and so much more. Given the space and weight, a multi purpose product would work better.

Jeanette Isabelle

No luck finding better stuff yet, but I did add a tiny tube of toothpaste, a travel toothbrush and a small stick of deodarant. Thanks for the reminders and suggestions! I remain on the hunt for better products on the shelves around here. wink

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#278529 - 01/05/16 02:28 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: bacpacjac
No luck finding better stuff yet, but I did add a tiny tube of toothpaste, a travel toothbrush and a small stick of deodarant. Thanks for the reminders and suggestions! I remain on the hunt for better products on the shelves around here. wink

I doubt you will find Flosscard on any shelf. You may have to order it unless you know of another source, such as a dentist. Also their web site is currently down.

I don't know what stores are in your area. I would Google "Dr. Bronner Castile Soap," click on "Shopping" and "Available nearby."

Jeanette Isabelle

#278531 - 01/05/16 03:51 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland

I don't know what stores are in your area. I would Google "Dr. Bronner Castile Soap," click on "Shopping" and "Available nearby."
Jeanette Isabelle

In my area, it is never sold in the big chain stores, but I frequently see in the local health/vitamin stores. You might try there, and if they don't carry it, I'll bet they know where you can get it locally.

#278532 - 01/05/16 05:14 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: Byrd_Huntr]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
Yes, Jack London's To Build a Fire, combined with an early childhood failure with a one match fire-starting challenge is probably why I'm such a fire bug today

#278534 - 01/05/16 05:26 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: bws48]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: bws48

Jeanette Isabelle

In my area, it is never sold in the big chain stores, but I frequently see in the local health/vitamin stores. You might try there, and if they don't carry it, I'll bet they know where you can get it locally.

You guys really do ROCK! Thanks so much for the help!

#278570 - 01/06/16 05:52 AM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

Quote:
We have hit -30C with windchill today, and you just tipped me over to the Esbit side of the argument. Thanks!

Hehehe
I live at the other side of the temp spectrum and , like you, I was tipped over to the Esbit side of the argument.

In my corner of the world, alcohol can evaporate, or can spill in the car trunk ... in mid-day August... very scary !!

#278580 - 01/06/16 03:24 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I'm carrying a pack of Esbit tabs in my GHB and a Trangia alcohol stove in my BOB. I've been cutting out much of the redundancies in both but those are going to stay because sometimes it rains during a trip, otherwise, I'll use twigs and sticks to heat my food and water.

#278589 - 01/06/16 06:35 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: wildman800]
Tom_L Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: wildman800
I'm carrying a pack of Esbit tabs in my GHB and a Trangia alcohol stove in my BOB. I've been cutting out much of the redundancies in both but those are going to stay because sometimes it rains during a trip, otherwise, I'll use twigs and sticks to heat my food and water.

+1...

#278590 - 01/06/16 07:10 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Liquid castile soap with peppermint acquired! The health food store tip was the magic. Thanks so much for your help, Jeanette_Isabelle and bws48!

EDIT: I just went to swap out the camp soap and toothpaste for the liquid castile soap in my pack. The lid on the camp soap had cracked and leaked. Thank goodness it was in a ziplock bag - but that leaked too. frown Thankfully I found it be I lost more than a maxi pad in my hygiene kit. Phew! And double thanks guys!

Edited by bacpacjac (01/06/16 09:46 PM)

#278591 - 01/06/16 07:10 PM Re: Esbit or Alcohol Stove for GHB [Re: Tom_L]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Tom_L
Originally Posted By: wildman800

+1...

+2!

Page 9 of 12 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 182 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.