Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#278015 - 12/16/15 03:37 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
There's a lot to be said for an LED flashlight that runs off of AAs. A modern unit with lithium primary batteries sits in my wife's emergency kit bag and performs very well for its size and price. This is an excellent recommendation for many flashlight users.

For myself, I frequently avail myself of the longer runtimes and higher output that other battery chemistries allow. Do I always need those things? No. But I've needed them before, will almost certainly need them again, and they're sure nice to have at other times.

#278016 - 12/16/15 04:33 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Pete]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Originally Posted By: Pete
I will return to my comment.

This forum is digressing into "gear obsession".

Of course we are. Such obsession is implicit in "equipped to survive," the very title of this forum. What kind of heresy are you promoting?

A lot of our discussions tend to remind me of wine connoisseurs, delving endlessly into minute differences that really have no great practical value. Instead of wine fragrance, we can discuss endlessly the virtues of this or that variety of knife steel, or the different tints or CRI of flashlight beams, etc., but it is fairly harmless fun.

But your point is well taken. I was hiking toward camp a couple of weeks ago after a nice productive day in the field as sunset occurred. I pressed on through civil twilight, and then nautical twilight. Approaching astronomical twilight, it got really dark and it was time to get a light. I had two very nice headlamps in my pack (total investment exceeding $100) but it was easier to just reach into my pocket, grab the EDC light on my key ring, giving me about 100 lumens,(quite sufficient) and continue on my way for the final mile.

The important thing about any flashlight is that when you mash on the button, it will turn on so you won't have to curse the darkness. Everything else is details and secondary.

#278018 - 12/16/15 04:56 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Phaedrus]
wileycoyote Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: north central west TX
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Might want to do a little research on the Titan over at Candlepower Forums. I think the concensus is that it's not the out-of-the-park homerun you'd expect from SF.

i believe those negative comments were mostly about the lens o-ring and LED not being perfectly centered/mounted, plus some flickering issues, in early versions. i'm under the impression the surefire has since fixed those problems and replaced all problem units.

the other major complaint is that the 300-lumen burst mode doesn't give a full hour run time as stated in the sale literature (not that i've ever needed that much power for more than a few seconds/minutes).

here's a link to a good 12-page CPF thread on it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?407689-TITAN-PLUS

#278019 - 12/16/15 08:19 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: wileycoyote]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: wileycoyote
Originally Posted By: Phaedrus
Might want to do a little research on the Titan over at Candlepower Forums. I think the concensus is that it's not the out-of-the-park homerun you'd expect from SF.

i believe those negative comments were mostly about the lens o-ring and LED not being perfectly centered/mounted, plus some flickering issues, in early versions. i'm under the impression the surefire has since fixed those problems and replaced all problem units.

the other major complaint is that the 300-lumen burst mode doesn't give a full hour run time as stated in the sale literature (not that i've ever needed that much power for more than a few seconds/minutes).

here's a link to a good 12-page CPF thread on it: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?407689-TITAN-PLUS

I am finishing up my review and, yes, the initial QC issues appear to have been addressed. I am liking the light overall.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#278020 - 12/16/15 11:59 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Doug_Ritter]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
It is worthwhile to consider battery compatibility and/or the ability to transfer power across all the electrical gadgets you might be using. My GPSr is powered by two AAA batteries, which inclines me toward a light powered by AAAs, since I could mix and match, if the necessity arises. Power packs and rechargers (Goal Zero Switch 8 and 10 come to mind - I am sure there must be others) are available which can be fitted with accessories so that they can serve as lights, and also recharge one's cell phone, etc. - something that can be rather useful.

Of course one must deal with the profound disadvantage that none of this gear could in any sense be termed "tactical." None of them are even available in camo....

#278021 - 12/17/15 12:22 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: JohnN]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
Absolutely! The similar light is only for price comparison. I've got the Nitecore chargers for charging at home. Travel charger is a USB charger that also works as a phone charger. It won't be charging 18650's on normal trips.

#278023 - 12/17/15 04:39 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I don't think it's really a "gear obsession." Well, there is a boys-and-their-toys factor, I'll admit. But speaking just for myself I finally learned that sometimes the best is the cheapest in the long run. And I've learned through hard knocks, having gear fail and really inopportune time. One story that I have probably relayed here before, but I'll repeat it now: Many years ago I was fishing at a very remote lodge in northern Canada. The place had cabins but no plumbing, etc. There were outhouses a good ways from the cabins. One very very dark and moonless night I had to visit the privy and grabbed my flashlight to negotiate the tangled and overgrown path. All was well until I got to the door of the outhouse and had my bulb break/burn out! The whole way back to camp in the dark I was sure I could feel the black bears right behind me! blush

I'm not trying to convince anyone to spend $250 on a light but I'm strongly of the opinion that you get what you pay for. At ETS we discuss being prepared; this takes on many meanings. It can be training and skills, it can be gear and equipment. Ideally it's both. Just as a wise person carries a PSK when out and about I think it's prudent to select quality gear. Do you need an HDS Rotary or $500 McGizmo Haiku? Strictly speaking, no, probably not. But there's a lot of ground between the $500 objets d'art and a $2 Rayovak.

#278025 - 12/17/15 05:07 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
BTW I'm glad to hear the QC issues with the Titan have been addressed, but I am still bummed to that's not infinitely adjustable like the original Titan. I think I'll probably get a Peak Eiger instead.

#278027 - 12/17/15 09:02 AM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Tjin Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quality items generally are nicer to use and stay good for a very long time. Cheap stuff are generally not as nice to use and break more quickly (plenty of exceptions).

People just want more and more. More lumens, more bells, more whistles and more in general. The thing with quality items is that you buy once and don’t have to replace it for a very long time. In practise I see people talking about quality and durability and then they replace them in a few months’ time, because the next thing came out…

Personally I think its good practise for your wallet and the environment to do proper research and then buy a quality item, which you will use for years. Buying thing which uses common available batteries, will keep it going for years to come. I’m still using the same Fenix light I bought in early 2009, loaded with Eneloop batteries which are even older. Worn out one of the holster for the light, but just replace the holster.

#278028 - 12/17/15 12:39 PM Re: SOLARAY PRO ZX-1 [Re: Tjin]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
occasionally I purchase an item just to "check it out"... examples would be the Goal Zero 7w panel, and the Nitecore charger and 18650s cells....compared to some previously required classes, the education is cheap...the switch to AA Eneloops for my emergency hurricane electronics and lighting came from lessons learned...I don't really need an SBR, but it was fun to build ... while I have a Malkoff module for an old 6P, the rest of my P60 lights are G2s off the prize table, or Solar Force hosts, with XM L2 or XP-G (for the 18650) modules (foil wrapped)

on the practical side, I'm a retired high school teacher, and still like to attend athletic events at school...as a gun free zone, a mongo candlepower pocket light is a legal deterrent option... if you have accidentally flashed yourself, you know how disorienting it is for a couple of minutes

Page 4 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 318 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
03/27/24 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.