Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#277649 - 11/20/15 05:05 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Pete Offline
Veteran

Jeanette - I doubt that people will share their favorite "bug-out" location for WWIII. If you decide to get serious about this, plan on making a lot of personal trips. Unless you really check out a location, you will never know how good your choice really is.

There have been some amazing survival stories over the past century. when the A-Bomb was dropped on Hiroshima, a Japanese man named Eizo Nomura survived. He was only 170-meters from ground zero. OK, the bomb exploded in the air, but he was pretty much directly underneath it. He survived because he worked for a bank, and he happened to go down into the basement. Everything at ground level was fried. But Nomura lived until he was 84 years old.

There were also 8 German Jesuit priests in Hiroshima. They were 8 blocks away from the blast, and they were in a building, but NOT underground. These people survived, and they didn't have any radiation sickness either. I do not know the circumstances of what they were doing, or what kind of building they were in.

Needless to say, many other people died (gruesome). There was quite a lot of luck involved. But you can conclude that being UNDERGROUND in a very strong basement, surrounded by filing cabinets with lots of paper, is actually a positive choice. I think that the movie 'Dr Stangelove' pointed this out - but nobody took the movie lines seriously.

Have fun!
Pete

Edited by Pete (11/20/15 05:06 AM)

#277650 - 11/20/15 07:32 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
quick_joey_small Offline
Addict

Loc: UK
Bingley wrote:

> This discussion seems a little abstract.

I agree. Again Jeanette you have raised a good discussion, but with it so vague as to mean almost anything.
Are we talking about a conventional war? Running and hiding in the woods during WWII in the USA would have just meant you spent years there for nothing.
Are we talking about a nuclear holocaust?
Are we talking about proxie wars? The 'Cold War' wouldn't have seemed so cold if you were in Korea, Vietnam or Afghanistan.

Could we define this a little closer?

qjs

#277651 - 11/20/15 01:58 PM Re: WW III [Re: Pete]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Originally Posted By: Pete
Jeanette - I doubt that people will share their favorite "bug-out" location for WWIII.

I would hope not. I need to make something I said clear. Without mentioning where it is, can anyone name a place to go in the event of a war?

When Montanero said, "I'm not telling!" I did not know if he was joking or if he knows of a specific place he and his family can go in the event of WW III. I hope he knows of a specific place where he and his family can go.

Originally Posted By: Pete
If you decide to get serious about this, plan on making a lot of personal trips. Unless you really check out a location, you will never know how good your choice really is.

I'm relying on what I believe is a credible source.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277652 - 11/20/15 02:34 PM Re: WW III [Re: quick_joey_small]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quick_joey_small
I agree. Again Jeanette you have raised a good discussion, but with it so vague as to mean almost anything.
Are we talking about a conventional war? Running and hiding in the woods during WWII in the USA would have just meant you spent years there for nothing.
Are we talking about a nuclear holocaust?
Are we talking about proxie wars? The 'Cold War' wouldn't have seemed so cold if you were in Korea, Vietnam or Afghanistan.

Could we define this a little closer?

I'm afraid I can't get too specific because of the rules of the forum. I believe there will be a nuclear holocaust but not a complete nuclear holocaust, meaning more than half of the world population will survive. For the sake of discussion, two billion of the world's population will die.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277653 - 11/20/15 04:34 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I was saying it in jest, Jeanette-Isabelle.

That said, I would find a place with a smaller population, access to resources, and some protection provided by terrain (mountains). That is if you know it is coming. If you are not there before it happens, you are probably going to have to stay put.

Of course not living in a likely target area is helpful.

#277654 - 11/20/15 06:32 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Being somewhat confused about what the scenario is, but assuming some sort of "limited" nuclear attack against us, I suggest reading (if you have not already read), "Alas Babylon" by Pat Frank (a 1959 book). It deals with people in a small Florida town surviving after a nuclear attack and being cut off from the rest of "the world." Is is well thought out and, the problems and solutions, still relevant today.

#277658 - 11/20/15 08:07 PM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Jeanette_Isabelle
[quote=quick_joey_small]For the sake of discussion, two billion of the world's population will die.

Sounds like you'll make a killing going into the funeral business.

#277659 - 11/20/15 08:13 PM Re: WW III [Re: bws48]
Carpal Tunnel

Unfortunately I can't get too specific without getting into the politics and the ideology of the zombies.

Jeanette Isabelle

#277660 - 11/21/15 01:52 AM Re: WW III [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
You'll want to get some potassium iodide.

The next "World War" -- major powers invading other major powers' territories -- would eventually go nuclear. Doubtful it would be the economic boon to the U.S. that World War II (1939-45) was (the "Great Depression" officially ended in 1943).

Nations with nukes: U.S., Russia, UK, France, China, India, Pakistan, North Korea, Israel.

In the early 1980s, at the height of the Cold War nuclear hysteria (witness the 1983 ABC miniseries: "The Day After" and the equally depressing 1983's "Testament"), southwestern Oregon and northwestern California were believed to be the safest places to live in the continental U.S. -- lack of prime targets and favorable prevailing winds.

So if the "winds of war" on a world-wide scale pick up, think I'll be flying out to my home state of Oregon for an extended vacation -- stopping by Costco for a couple years worth of freeze-dried food which I'll store in my sister's weekend home which is near a river with good fishing and trees I can use to craft the anti-zombie barricades that Morgan utilized so effectively on The Walking Dead.

Shelter - water - food - meds - security. Survival priorities never change. Well, unless there are nukes, of course. Here's the link to potassium iodide information from the CDC:

http://emergency.cdc.gov/radiation/ki.asp

#277661 - 11/21/15 02:47 AM Re: WW III [Re: Dagny]
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dagny
So if the "winds of war" on a world-wide scale pick up, think I'll be flying out to my home state of Oregon for an extended vacation

I notice you are living in a probable target. As soon as I hear something, I will say something.

Jeanette Isabelle

Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  MartinFocazio, Tyber 
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 324 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav, BenFoakes
5367 Registered Users
Newest Posts
What did you do today to prepare?
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:21 PM
Zippo Butane Inserts
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 11:11 PM
Question about a "Backyard Mutitool"
by Ren
03/17/24 01:00 AM
Problem in my WhatsApp configuration
by Chisel
03/09/24 01:55 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
03/04/24 02:44 PM
EDC Reduction
by EchoingLaugh
03/02/24 04:12 PM
Using a Compass Without a Map
by KenK
02/28/24 12:22 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.